#1 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members.
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:48 PM

As I think Orik said, "it is that time again."

I will be in Paris for a few days in the beginning of December, any recommendations? New ones, old standbys? Places to avoid?

I have a bunch of Maurice letters to review, those will be helpful, as well as Chez Pim.

Thanks.
"I mispoke."

#2 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 11:37 PM

We will be in Paris from Oct. 9-14th and eating at bistros mostly. I'll report back. I'm going with my BIL and SIL who wrote a book on the Bistros of Paris. So we will be trying some new places and some old ones.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#3 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 11:43 PM

As I think Orik said, "it is that time again." 

I will be in Paris for a few days in the beginning of December, any recommendations?  New ones, old standbys? Places to avoid?

I have a bunch of Maurice letters to review, those will be helpful, as well as Chez Pim.

Thanks.

If you're going to do an upscale meal....our lunch at Le Meurice was very very good (I think there may be photos of it on Pim's site).

I used and abused Pim's recommendations, highly advisable. L'Entredgeu was one of our favorites. Also went to Monsieur Lapin in the 14th, which turned out to be one of Maurice's old standbys. We really enjoyed it.

Also, do ask Melonious if he'll leak any of his lists to you - his bro-in-law is a maven.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#4 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members.
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 12:19 AM

I'll report back.

Please do Mel. Thanks.
"I mispoke."

#5 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members.
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 12:24 AM

our lunch at Le Meurice . . .
L'Entredgeu . . .
Monsieur Lapin . . .

Good. Good. Good.

Le Meurice sounds very doable for someone's b-day on the 2nd. Don't tell her.

Thanks Omn.
"I mispoke."

#6 Maurice Naughton

Maurice Naughton

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 06:58 AM

We will be in Paris from Oct. 9-14th and eating at bistros mostly. I'll report back. I'm going with my BIL and SIL who wrote a book on the Bistros of Paris. So we will be trying some new places and some old ones.

Damn it, Thunk, that was supposed to be me over a year ago who was gonna try new bistrots with your B$S-in-laws (I like the way that looks, by the way). I fully understand the circumstances that prevented that engagement, but that doesn't mitigate my envy of you with such excellent and competent guides and companions.

And I'm stuck in Flint, doing homework in that sorghum-dense language of theirs.
Cambridge University Professor of Electrical Engineering, Sir Charles Oatley, in October, 1948, along with his student Dennis McMullan, began the research that led to the production of the first scanning electron microscope in 1965.

I thought you'd want to know.

#7 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 01:08 PM

Wells' picks. Maybe more high end than you want, but it's a starting point.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#8 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 02:39 PM

Villaret (following Maurice's rec., I think) was very good. I can't join Omni's recommendation of Le Meurice, had dinner there that was adequate at best.
I never said that

#9 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 03:05 PM

It's not just my recommendation. Pim and fantasty feel the same way about Le Meurice, I believe.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#10 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 03:08 PM

In that case I can't join their recommendation either.
I never said that

#11 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 03:10 PM

A description of our meal is on this thread:

http://www.mouthfuls...topic=5016&st=0

Also I think Pim has written about Le Meurice on her site, and she has quite a few photos.

http://chezpim.typep...s_from_le_.html

http://chezpim.typep...urice_a_fa.html

#12 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 04:04 PM

Which book is this?
Gone fishing for the summer.

#13 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 04:14 PM

http://www.amazon.co...=books&n=507846

#14 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,450 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 04:16 PM

and a review

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#15 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 04:23 PM

http://www.amazon.co...=books&n=507846

Thanks for the link. In addition to the suggestion made above I'll add Whiting's Paris Bistros and Sophie Brissaud who can be reached through her food forum
Gone fishing for the summer.