#31 SamanthaF

SamanthaF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 02:59 PM

le Repaire de Cartouche

Had lunch here last week and it was so good I've booked dinner for next month!.

Added bonus of being right by the metro on the 8 line.
Okay, they can tell me "miso butterscotch" until the cows come home, but I say it's toffee and I say the hell with it. This is the goo an eight year-old wants to find in the middle of a candy bar. No adult in their senses wants it creeping up on their pig parts.
Wilfrid at The Pink Pig.

"I'm lost. You shat on the cum-carpet, or you came on the shit-carpet?" - The Wonderful LML 5th Feb, 2008.

"God bless those fucking guidelines. Where would we be without them?" - Stone March 2008

#32 juuceman

juuceman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 04:45 PM

We will be staying on R. des Ecoles in the 5th, but using the Metro is no problem. We would be most appreciative if you could recommend a resto or 2 for us to try.

i've stayed on Rue des Ecole my last few times.. it's a great place to base yourself and much of Paris is walking distance..

there is a wonderful market right outside of the Maubillon (sp?) Metro Stop.. saturday and a few other days..

Kayser, the bakery, is in the neighborhood as well, and is one of the best in Paris..

we usually leave the neighborhood to eat.. this time around we returned to Fish, a British owned place on Rue de Seine, which has a nice young vibe, great wine list, and an extremely reasonably 3 course meal.. also went to La Coupole at the recommendation of the conceriege.. enjoyed the meal.. as much for the ambience and the crowd (this palce is huge) as the food itself, although the raw bar is incredible..

#33 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 05:44 PM

and a review

Gosh, and only 14 of 20 people found that review helpful... :rolleyes:

Fly
I used to be eye candy but now Im more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

Your father is going deaf. I cant hear a word he says!
My mom

I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#34 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members.
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 10:41 PM

I am here taking notes, mapping places, looking at the calendar, checking reviews, printing Mo's old writings (three years worth only), checking books and websites, having extra fun while foregoing real everyday work. I love the planning part of travelling.
"I mispoke."

#35 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 08:32 PM

Here are five Paris Bistros that are failrly new (and "hot).

Can anyone rank them? Which would be your top choices?

Les Papilles, 30 rue Gay-Lussac Tel: 01 43 25 20 79 5th arr.
Le Mesturet, 77, rue de Richelieu Tel: 01 42 97 40 68 2nd arr.
Le Marsangy, 73, avenue Parmentier Tel: 01 47 00 94 25 11th arr.
Le Temps au Temps, 13, rue Paul Bert Tel: 01 43 79 63 40 11th arr.
Mon Vieil Ami, 69, rue Saint-Louis-en-I'lle tel: 01 40 46 01 35 4th arr.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#36 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 08:47 PM

Depending on what you are interested in paying, "Senderens", which is open 7 days a week lunch and dinner (the bistro version of Lucas-Carton, at the Place de la Madelaine location). I have not yet visited, but always liked LC. It's top on my own list. :rolleyes:

#37 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:15 PM

Thanks,Cabby. I had forgoten about that. I asked for a res. at Yves Comdebord's new place but was told they are booked "til the end of the year). I am trying Le Mesturet. They have an interesting carte and are focussed on the terroir of the foods they use.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

#38 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:06 PM

According to the press around the time Lucas-Carton gave up its three stars, the average price (don't know if just food) per meal is about 100 euros (1/3 or less of the original average). I thought LC was impressive as it was. :rolleyes:

#39 pim

pim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:37 PM

According to the press around the time Lucas-Carton gave up its three stars, the average price (don't know if just food) per meal is about 100 euros (1/3 or less of the original average). I thought LC was impressive as it was. :rolleyes:

Lucas Carton was always a reliable/reasonable place to pop by for lunch. I'm not sure how I will like the new concept. Will give it a try for sure.

Oh no she didn't.

#40 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:08 AM

We went to Mon Vieil Ami with fantasty and S. Not special.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#41 Maurice Naughton

Maurice Naughton

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:11 AM

Thanks,Cabby. I had forgoten about that. I asked for a res. at Yves Comdebord's new place but was told they are booked "til the end of the year). I am trying Le Mesturet. They have an interesting carte and are focussed on the terroir of the foods they use.

I was able several times to have lunch without a reservation at la Regalade when Camdeborde was still in charge there by showing up right at opening time or late, around two-thirty. Of course I was dining alone, which makes a difference.

I personally would trust the palates of Pim and Cabby more than my own, 'cause they actually know something.
Cambridge University Professor of Electrical Engineering, Sir Charles Oatley, in October, 1948, along with his student Dennis McMullan, began the research that led to the production of the first scanning electron microscope in 1965.

I thought you'd want to know.

#42 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,681 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:15 AM

I personally would trust the palates of Pim and Cabby more than my own, 'cause they actually know something.

Oh, please, Monsieur Palate.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#43 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members.
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 01:39 AM

Here are five Paris Bistros that are failrly new (and "hot).

Can anyone rank them? Which would be your top choices?

Les Papilles, 30 rue Gay-Lussac Tel: 01 43 25 20 79 5th arr.
Le Mesturet, 77, rue de Richelieu Tel: 01 42 97 40 68 2nd arr.
Le Marsangy, 73, avenue Parmentier Tel: 01 47 00 94 25 11th arr.
Le Temps au Temps, 13, rue Paul Bert Tel: 01 43 79 63 40 11th arr.
Mon Vieil Ami, 69, rue Saint-Louis-en-I'lle tel: 01 40 46 01 35 4th arr.

Mel T., where you already there or are you going soon?
"I mispoke."

#44 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 02:02 AM

Mel T., where you already there or are you going soon?

We are leaving Sunday. Unless someone can get us in to Le Comptoir, we are eating at Le Mesturet Wed. night. The other meals are all in bistros. We decided not to go for 3* food this trip except for one meal in Brittany.

#45 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members.
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 02:08 AM

Have fun. See if you can do some bite by bite live blogging.
"I mispoke."