220 replies to this topic

#1 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 04:48 AM

I know there's a disease that afflicts some people whereby they crave very odd things to eat. Whatever disease that is, I wonder if the desire to cut slabs of butter and eat it like a piece of cheese is a symptom......

because ever since I got my hands on Pamplie butter, that's what I have been doing and I cannot stop.

OMG that stuff is good. O*M*G.

Of course, it's French (big surprise) and it has those little ridges on either side of the little loaf...what the hell do you call a lump of butter anyway?????

Someone stop me!!!!!
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#2 Farid

Farid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 04:54 AM

Welcome to the family Rose. My daughter and I can eat the best butters like cheese. It's a good thing. :o

Not suprisingly these butters are French.

#3 fentona

fentona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 11:36 AM

Butter comes (via a chain of loan-words) from the Greek bou tyros, which means "cow cheese". (Folks in the ancient Mediterranean didn't eat it, of course, but they ate a lot of cheese.) So you're on the right track, etymologically speaking...
Andrew Fenton

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,444 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 01:50 PM

You're in good company. This butter is also in Emeril's kitchen.

Emeril's butter and chocolate choices

Vermont Butter & Cheese Co.'s butter now joins a group in my fridge that includes Pamplie and Fleur de Sel from France, English Double Devon Butter and St. Helen's Farm Goat butter, and Italy's Burro Occelli - to name a few.

Vermont B&C and the Fleur de Sel have been recommended here by knowledgeable folks, I don't recall discussion of the others

Edited by Rail Paul, 18 September 2005 - 01:59 PM.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#5 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,063 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 01:51 PM

Where did you find this butter, Rose? Burro Ocelli was tasted by many at the vertical tasting a few years ago. It drew very mixed reviews for its strong, cheesy character. I loved it.

#6 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 02:09 PM

And where can I find Burro Ocelli?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#7 banh cuon

banh cuon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 02:22 PM

And where can I find Burro Ocelli?

In NYC I've seen Burro Occelli at Buon Italia at the Chelsea Market regularly, as well Zabar's from time to time.

#8 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 02:48 PM

I got the Pamplie in a specialty store in CT but Fantasty tells me she was able to get it at Gourmet Garage and that she's "nearly certain this is what they served at the outstanding breakfast we had at Le Moulin de Lourmarin, and at a few other *really good* places in Provence".
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#9 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 02:52 PM

I've been using Kerry Gold as my daily house butter lately. Not bad - has some flavor. It also softens pretty quickly after taken out of the fridge, which I suppose means something about the proportions in it.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#10 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,444 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 02:56 PM

FreshDirect also carries Pamplie, according to their current listing. $4.99 for 8.8 oz, salted.

FreshDirect

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#11 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,063 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:18 PM

I think I got it at Fairway for the vertical tasting, but it was a few years ago and I can't be sure.

#12 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:31 PM

It also softens pretty quickly after taken out of the fridge, which I suppose means something about the proportions in it.

Same with the Beurremont (New England), which is 83% butterfat.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#13 Farid

Farid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 04:01 PM

French butters made from unpateurized milk are the best to eat like cheese. I would go back to Normandy and Brittany just for this. The best have 84% butterfat, if I recall correctly.

#14 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 04:11 PM

I frequently buy Beurre d'Isigny from Normandy, and I like it, but I don't think it has enough flavor to eat like cheese.

Here's an eG thread that has some interesting information (and a blast from the past!):

http://forums.egulle...topic=6177&st=0

#15 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 05:29 PM

I like the Buerremont a lot, but I do wonder where it is actually made. The only info on the label that I could find is for a distributor in NJ.

The Pamplie is magnificent. Finding bread that is worthy of it is tricky, though, which is all the more reason to eat it by the spoonful. :o
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007