Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,234 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE(splinky @ Apr 4 2010, 02:37 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Lippy @ Apr 4 2010, 02:34 PM) View Post
I've been enjoying Kerrygold unsalted (sprinkled with just a few grains of salt) on matzah this week. Kerrygold salted in a sweet cream butter and the unsalted is made from cultured cream. The website claims the cows (it's a cooperative, not one farm) are grass-fed year round. The butter has a high fat content and is instantly spreadable right from the fridge. The price at Trader Joe is very reasonable.

kerrygold is one of my fave cooking butters.

This is excellent butter, and for the price, almost unbeatable. Kingsmarket occasionally has it for $4 a pound or so on sale. There's a lot of European butter sloshing around as a result of the glut in dairy production over there.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#212 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,204 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE(Rail Paul @ Apr 4 2010, 07:14 PM) View Post
I've been enjoying Kerrygold unsalted (sprinkled with just a few grains of salt) on matzah this week. Kerrygold salted in a sweet cream butter and the unsalted is made from cultured cream. The website claims the cows (it's a cooperative, not one farm) are grass-fed year round. The butter has a high fat content and is instantly spreadable right from the fridge. The price at Trader Joe is very reasonable.

This is excellent butter, and for the price, almost unbeatable. Kingsmarket occasionally has it for $4 a pound or so on sale. There's a lot of European butter sloshing around as a result of the glut in dairy production over there.

i've found it locally for as little as $2.99. also love lurpak

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#213 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:34 PM

Danish butter is my favorite. The salted variety is lightly salted and is perfect for bread as well as cooking.

#214 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,234 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE(splinky @ Apr 4 2010, 07:35 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Rail Paul @ Apr 4 2010, 07:14 PM) View Post

i've found it locally for as little as $2.99. also love lurpak

$2.99 is a GREAT price for KeryGold

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#215 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,025 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:22 PM

Did I see Kerrygold at Eli's Marketplace for $7.99 a half-pound, or did my eyes deceive me? Maybe it was $4.99. Walking around the store and checking prices, I saw that most things were about twice as much as one would pay for the same item elsewhere. Who buys there?

#216 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

That is my calculation as well -- everything is twice the price, even compared to other expensive Upper East Side stores. I must say, though, I do sometimes shop there for the bread. I think their "Health Bread" is great. Also, Eli's sells fabulous baby lettuce, for a price, which is not available anywhere in the neighborhood -- I would guess the closest approximation is the lovely leaves sold at Union Square Market -- also at an extraordinarily high price. But for fish, meat, cheese, vegetables, etc., the prices are prohibitive. Nevertheless, Eli's is not wanting for patrons!

#217 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,234 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE(Lippy @ Apr 13 2010, 06:22 PM) View Post
Did I see Kerrygold at Eli's Marketplace for $7.99 a half-pound, or did my eyes deceive me? Maybe it was $4.99. Walking around the store and checking prices, I saw that most things were about twice as much as one would pay for the same item elsewhere. Who buys there?

$7.99 / 8 oz is an extraordinarily high price for KerryGold

...Jonathan Waxman

#218 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,204 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:30 PM

been enjoying darosario organic black truffle butter. it makes for some wonderful mashed potatoes

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#219 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

After having dinner at Eleven Madison Park and dusting off the goat butter, I picked up a 1/2 lb or Meyerberg's Goat Butter at Fairway. We had some people over for dinner and I have never seen an entire baguette disappear so quickly. This stuff is dangerously addicting.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#220 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,234 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:19 PM

After having dinner at Eleven Madison Park and dusting off the goat butter, I picked up a 1/2 lb or Meyerberg's Goat Butter at Fairway. We had some people over for dinner and I have never seen an entire baguette disappear so quickly. This stuff is dangerously addicting.

Meyerberg's Goat Butter is one step this side of crack cocaine. It's really good stuff

...Jonathan Waxman

#221 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:53 PM

Oops posted in the wrong thread--- I just moved my post over here.

Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment