430 replies to this topic

#361 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,599 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

the tasmanian devil of cleaning and organization swooped in again, today. now my baking/dish pantry has cork lined shelves and the walls of the closet have coordinating contact paper. it's exhausting to watch someone work that hard for 5 hours.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#362 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,415 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:44 AM

the tasmanian devil of cleaning and organization swooped in again, today. now my baking/dish pantry has cork lined shelves and the walls of the closet have coordinating contact paper. it's exhausting to watch someone work that hard for 5 hours.

Very glad she's feeling up to it. Go take a rest yourself, now.

Because it's allowed doesn't mean it isn't creepy. -- Sneakeater, April 10, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#363 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,415 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:55 AM

Damn. I couldn't walk home along the Hudson from the potluck held in a party room at STK tonight because I had to schlep all the prize swag* I won for the placing first in Best Taste with my Vancouver-inspired Pacific Southwest Hot-Smoked Salmon. That's the second time I won with that dish, and the fifth time I've won a first prize since 2009. This is getting tiring.

*including 3 bottles each of Chinese merlot and riesling. :blink:

Because it's allowed doesn't mean it isn't creepy. -- Sneakeater, April 10, 2014

#364 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

The capital gains tax will be how much??!!!??
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#365 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,637 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

A lot less than if it were earned income.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#366 FoodDabbler

FoodDabbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:21 AM

Damn. I couldn't walk home along the Hudson from the potluck held in a party room at STK tonight because I had to schlep all the prize swag* I won for the placing first in Best Taste with my Vancouver-inspired Pacific Southwest Hot-Smoked Salmon. That's the second time I won with that dish, and the fifth time I've won a first prize since 2009. This is getting tiring.:

Now you know how Meryl Streep must feel.

Not that I doubt you -- and congratulations -- but five first prizes since 2009?
Is it 2013 yet?

#367 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,415 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

Damn. I couldn't walk home along the Hudson from the potluck held in a party room at STK tonight because I had to schlep all the prize swag* I won for the placing first in Best Taste with my Vancouver-inspired Pacific Southwest Hot-Smoked Salmon. That's the second time I won with that dish, and the fifth time I've won a first prize since 2009. This is getting tiring.:

Now you know how Meryl Streep must feel.

Not that I doubt you -- and congratulations -- but five first prizes since 2009?
Is it 2013 yet?

There are several categories: taste, presentation, expression of theme, best overall. And two potlucks a year. So there are lots of chances. It's not like I'm the only winner. I just win more. :P

Even better (to my way of thinking) was that a restaurateur/food manufacturer who has several cookbooks out expressed interest in including my recipe in her upcoming brunch book.

#368 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

Even better (to my way of thinking) was that a restaurateur/food manufacturer who has several cookbooks out expressed interest in including my recipe in her upcoming brunch book.

Nice.

#369 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

I hope they pay you.
BlondieNY.com

#370 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,415 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:38 AM

I hope they pay you.

Me too. :D

#371 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

82 Mouton still not mature .. will this bloody wine never reach maturity?

#372 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,415 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

Damn. Gonna have to lose a few hours of work time later this week when I go to a photo shoot with Daniel Humm at EMP. He's got 8 dishes to do, so it could take a while.

#373 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

All that work I have to do for Jaguar Land Rover, and now Porsche wants me, too.

#374 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,951 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:53 PM

i have this tin of caviar I need to eat before going to New Orleans. Life is so hard. Don't know what to do with it. I was thinking of two options that seem kind of crazy to me but, i think i want to try them. Spaghetti Carbonara type dish but, no bacon and caviar instead.. Or perhaps a caviar caesar salad. Though, I just might make deviled eggs with caviar. Or lobster salad with caviar but, i want to make lobster fra diavolo. so i think a double lobster might be too much.. Or maybe a lobster carbonara with caviar and tarragon. So annoying, don't you think?
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#375 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,415 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:03 AM

Daniel, you win. :lol: