151 replies to this topic

#31 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 09:48 PM

Does anyone know if this is part of a chain? There's a pub in Austin called the Gingerman that pretty much meets the description given here.

Given the look of the place it wouldn't surprise me. Its kind of slick.

#32 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 09:55 PM

That hadn't occurred to me, but the answer is yep. And goldarn if Houston ain't the original.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#33 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 09:58 PM

And goldarn if Houston ain't the original.

That explains the shitty bourbon selection.

Nice use of goldarn by the way. ;)

#34 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,489 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 11:16 PM

Does anyone know if this is part of a chain?  There's a pub in Austin called the Gingerman that pretty much meets the description given here.

Given the look of the place it wouldn't surprise me. Its kind of slick.

also explains the atmosphere - as bad when empty as when it's bursting at the seams (used to live a couple of blocks away, haven't returned since we moved)

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#35 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:41 AM

I'd also suggest the Gingerman on east 36th, which has a large rotating list of beers and a great space. But again you have to be mindful of the crowd that flocks to it.

What crowd is that??
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#36 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:10 PM

I'd also suggest the Gingerman on east 36th, which has a large rotating list of beers and a great space.  But again you have to be mindful of the crowd that flocks to it.

What crowd is that??

Noisy young professionals.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#37 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:36 PM

No room for noisy old professionals like us, then.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#38 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 12:16 PM

No room for noisy old professionals like us, then.

Yes, you and your Krug-Bong ® would be frowned upon. ;)

#39 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 01:29 PM

:lol: :lol:
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#40 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 11:47 PM

Another leisurely afternoon nursing beers at David Copperfield's. I really like this place. Great beer selection, nice bartender, comfortable stools...bad clam chowder! That's the only food I've had there so far.

Anyway, on July 1/2/3 they're having a Beer and Oyster festival, which looks like it might be a lot of fun.

It's on York & 74th.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#41 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 12:16 AM

oops double post, sorry.

#42 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,235 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 06:36 PM

Finally made it to Spuyten Duyvil in Williamsburg. I have mixed feelings about the place. First off, I think I made it clear in another thread that I hate German beer. Lots of Germans and Belgians here. Surprisingly, not a lot of beers on tap. Maybe half a dozen? Now here's the major problem: the prices. I think the beers on tap were around $6+? I got a bottle of Scottish ale for friggin $8. How do those hipsters afford a drinking hobby?

The good news is that Spuyten is a really comfortable bar. Pleasing decor, free jukebox (with good music, even), friendly bartenders and an outside garden. I think they have meat and cheese plates available and have heard favorable things about the platters.

So I guess that yes, I would go back. A good place to enjoy a beer or two, but not if you're on a budget.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#43 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 06:40 PM

I wonder why they call it Spuyten Duyvil if it's in Williamsburg? Spuyten Duyvil is a stretch of water between Staten Island and New Jersey, isn't it?
Elect-a-lujah

#44 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,235 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 06:45 PM

Spuyten Duyvil history.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#45 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 07:01 PM

Okay, but it's nowhere near Williamsburg. :huh:
Elect-a-lujah