151 replies to this topic

#91 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:25 PM

The Times writes about another NYC official that tried to restrict alcohol sales. It didn't work then, it won't work now.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#92 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

In NYC this Saturday afternoon was especially dreary. Dark. Chilly. Luckily I knew just what do do. First we stopped off for a couple of beers at McSorely's. Yes, it was a zoo but we gamed it right, edging towards a clear spot at the bar where we weren't getting bumped.

Then it was off to Shoolbred's on 2nd Ave. They have a pleasant gas fireplace flanked by 4 leather armchairs. When we arrived two chairs were free so we pounced. Our mood was enhanced when we found that beers were 2 for one. We passed a very pleasant couple of hours. The combination of beer and fireplace was perfect.

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#93 cstuart

cstuart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

In NYC this Saturday afternoon was especially dreary. Dark. Chilly. Luckily I knew just what do do. First we stopped off for a couple of beers at McSorely's. Yes, it was a zoo but we gamed it right, edging towards a clear spot at the bar where we weren't getting bumped.

Then it was off to Shoolbred's on 2nd Ave. They have a pleasant gas fireplace flanked by 4 leather armchairs. When we arrived two chairs were free so we pounced. Our mood was enhanced when we found that beers were 2 for one. We passed a very pleasant couple of hours. The combination of beer and fireplace was perfect.

Is that the place close to (next to?) Ssam Bar where they give you a "free beer" poker chip? I was there years ago waiting for Ssam Bar and was trying to remember the name a couple weeks ago while at Columbus Cafe where they do the same 2 for 1 beer/poker chip happy hour.

#94 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

That's the one.

#95 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,701 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

Shoolbred's is great for winter afternoons

2A does the beer chip thing too. Good thing about both places, you are welcome to bring the chips back and use them at another happy hour, if you need to.

#96 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,673 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

See, if you guys were Jeremiah, you'd boycott Schoolbred's cuz it isn't Jade Mountain.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#97 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,701 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

If it was Jade Mountain, the sign would say S-OOLB-E-S.

#98 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

In celebration of my week of Christmas liberty I visited Donohue's on Lexington Avenue.  It opened in 1950 and has never seen the need to redecorate.  That said, everything is maintained to a soft glossy luster. 

8316688894_fe70390d97.jpg

"Hey Mike and Mary!  Want to grab some cold ones?"

"Sure!  I know a swell place."

8316641070_40f20e0509.jpg

The pleasant bartender shared stories about local luminaries who frequent the place.  Names you would know.  People who live on the upper East side.  It was like finding out that I could still go back to the New York I used to know in the 1970s.

8316653072_d6e47a83d9_z.jpg

8316660648_11caf46e3f_z.jpg

8316653234_b37efd398a_z.jpg

8316641630_b8c559aa92_z.jpg

Just lovely.

#99 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

Based on a tip from AaronS I checked out Owl Farm yesterday afternoon.  The snow had disrupted my weekend plans and what better way to console myself that a pint or 4.

8461410621_6c4ee1d502_z.jpg

Not bad at all although it suffered a bit from the Double Windsor disease.  People besides me were at loose ends.  I got there around 4:00PM, a time when I thought it would be dead.  Instead it was mostly full.  The crowd wasn't particularly loud but any place that gets that full will be a bit noisy.  Crowd was in their 20s and 30s.  Old blues music on the music system.

I had a cask IPA from San Diego - Green Flash Hop Head Red - that I found interesting without being wildly appealing.  A pleasant start and a surprisingly peppery finish.  A little odd.  Should have been a touch cooler.  This was served at room temperature.  My experience in the UK tells me it should have been 5 to 10 degrees cooler.  It was the type of thing that it's nice to taste but after one pint you want to move on to something else. 

That was the Dark Horse Amber from Michigan. Easy drinking, reasonably complex.  I would have killed for this 30 years ago.  As it was I thought it was very good, the type of thing you can drink for hours.  I had 3 and then walked back home at around 6:30.

I'll be back.

#100 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

I'm not really sold on the trend of serving very american high alcohol highly hopped ales in casks.  I think casks work better with bitters, and the american stuff tastes better in normal kegs.

#101 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,701 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Cask ales are inherently inclined to be flat and warm.  Some people love that.

#102 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

I've had them many times in the UK and thought they were usually slightly cooler than room temperature.  Way warmer than an American draft but I'd never call it warm.  Of course there's a difference between American and European room temperatures.  Most frequently it comes into play with wines.

I didn't find the cask ale I had Saturday to be flat at all.

#103 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,701 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

The carbonation is natural, and temperature relies on the cellar, which is why they're inherently more likely to be flat and warm than keg beers.  Also, you often find twigs floating in them.

Paul+McDonagh+Real+Ale+Enthusiasts+Flock

#104 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

That's a pretty big twig.

#105 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Tracks, in the bowels of Penn station (home of a 105 foot mahogany bar and a perfectly poured Guiness) -- wow, what a place! (Dinner afterwards at 15 East was pretty much close to the opposite, but also fabulous in its own way.)