90 replies to this topic

#1 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 05:56 PM

I have to bake a NY-style cheesecake for a class party next week. I made one before that was good, though a bit underbaked, but thought I'd pick your brains here for inspiration. I don't remember the exact recipe I used, but I think it was either the Lindy's or a combination of that and one from The Joy of Cooking. It had both lemon and orange zest on a graham cracker crust. I know the original Lindy's calls for a pastry crust. And Junior's calls for a sponge cake bottom that seems interesting.

Looking through my books, there's a fair amount of variation in the recipes all of which claim to be NY cheesecakes; whole eggs, whole eggs and egg yolks, sour cream, sour cream and heavy cream, no flavoring, vanilla and citrus zest, and so one (not to mention the different cooking methods).

I was going to show off with the double layer pumpkin chocolate one but there are several of them who don't like pumpkin cheesecake, if you can believe that. :lol: Including my favorite student who requested the cheesecake in the first place (she's moving to NY in Jan., so the NY-style seems kind of appropriate).
Never assume animosity when stupidity could be the cause.
Whichever side you're on, the other side doesn't just have bad ideas, they have to be bad people too.
People like her are always scared. It’s a lonely world when you’re just so damned right and everyone else is so stupid. That’s why God made cats.
He tended to date high-strung women — another symptom of his shyness. "Say what you want about them, psychotics tend to make the first move."
When you get over-confident, you get your ass kicked with your own shoes. (Fabio, Top Chef)
They probably drink corporate water.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#2 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 05:57 PM

Rose, Rose, paging Rose!!!!

Her cheesecake is.....a dream.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#3 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,125 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 06:24 PM

I was going to show off with the double layer pumpkin chocolate one but there are several of them who don't like pumpkin cheesecake, if you can believe that. :lol:

I'll go you one better: I don't like cheesecake. No matter what the flavor.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#4 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 07:30 PM

I've done this recipe from Florence Tyler a number of times. It's very easy and very good.

Definitely graham cracker crust. And no pumpkin, strawberries, blueberries or other goysisha stuff.

Now about that student . . . .

And she was.

#5 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:15 PM

I've done this recipe from Florence Tyler a number of times. It's very easy and very good.

Definitely graham cracker crust. And no pumpkin, strawberries, blueberries or other goysisha stuff.

Now about that student . . . .

I don't have an 8" springform pan. How many servings did you get out of it? I need at least 12. . . .

I think graham cracker crust is the way to go too.
Whichever side you're on, the other side doesn't just have bad ideas, they have to be bad people too.
People like her are always scared. It’s a lonely world when you’re just so damned right and everyone else is so stupid. That’s why God made cats.
He tended to date high-strung women — another symptom of his shyness. "Say what you want about them, psychotics tend to make the first move."
When you get over-confident, you get your ass kicked with your own shoes. (Fabio, Top Chef)

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#6 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:16 PM

With all due respect, WAIT FOR ROSE. She will log on tonight.

But I believe you will need a Springform pan for sure. Bigger than 8" .
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#7 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:18 PM

goysisha stuff.

Is this some kind of cross between goya and geisha? :lol:

#8 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:20 PM

With all due respect, WAIT FOR ROSE. She will log on tonight.

But I believe you will need a Springform pan for sure. Bigger than 8" .

I'm not making it until Monday night. :lol:

I'm just interested in all the variations and personal preferences and stuff.

Though not liking cheesecake at all escapes me. :)

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#9 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,772 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:21 PM

I don't have an 8" springform pan. How many servings did you get out of it? I need at least 12. . . .

Buy one.
Make two cheesecakes. It's just as easy as making one.

And she was.

#10 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:45 PM

Good point, but then I'd have to buy 2 of them. I should though, along with 10" too.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#11 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:03 AM

Okay folkies,

Grant, I know you’re gonna say “this wont be big enough” and “I don’t have that pan” and “it sounds time consuming” etc., etc., etc. but dozens of MFers have tried this cheesecake and except for Ms. Daisy who hates all cheesecake, it has been a crowd pleaser. (I brought it to the MF’s NYC X-mas party last year)

Okay so here goes:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees
8”x3” round cake pan (NOT springform) Yes, that's 3" high
10”x2” round cake pan for the water bath
8”circle of parchment paper
Sheet of waxed paper
9”flat plate

½ cup graham cracker crumbs
1 T butter
2 lbs cream cheese
4 eggs
1 ¾ cups sugar
2 T lemon juice
1 t vanilla

ALL INGREDIENTS MUST BE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE (out of the refrigerator for about 4 hrs)

1. Butter 8” pan and place parchment paper in pan; butter paper and then crumb pan and shake out extra crumbs
2. Cream the cheese and the sugar on medium speed until very well blended
3. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition
4. Add lemon juice and vanilla
5. Gradually increase speed of beater and continue beating until there are no lumps
6. Fill 8” pan with batter and bang on counter to remove air bubbles
7. Place 8” pan in 10” pan and add 1/2” boiling water to larger pan
8. Bake 1 ½-2 hrs until slightly brown on top
8. Turn off oven and leave in oven for 20 more minutes
9. Remove 8” pan to a rack to cool 4-5 hrs
10.Place sheet of waxed paper and then a plate on top of pan and invert to remove cake
11.Remove parchment paper from cake
12.Invert again onto serving platter
13.Refrigerate

Serves 12 or more

This is the ultimate NY- style cheesecake.
I've been making and serving it for 35 years to rave reviews
Notice the ingredients are pristine; no flour, no cornstarch, no sourcream, no heavy cream or anything else like that. It's so good because of the ingredients and the process which must be followed to the letter. And it's rich.

Hint: cut with unwaxed, unminted dental floss. :lol:
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#12 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:04 AM

It is superlative. I BEGGED her to bring it, having had it before.

#13 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,952 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:08 AM

It's really good and I'm saying that actually having eaten cheesecake Lindy's cheesecake. Why fool around with lesser recipes?

#14 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,544 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:10 AM

rose, i am going to try this over thanksgiving break. my next cholesterol test isn't till mid-december

i love cheesecake--food-wise it may be on my top 5 things that make me glad i came to the u.s. how can anyone not love cheesecake? and i feel that the new york cheesecake is the ne plus ultra of the form. i feel daisy owes us a detailed explanation. i'm guessing it stems from a childhood trauma. perhaps an evil clown chased her with eggplant-cheesecake?

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#15 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:15 AM

i feel daisy owes us a detailed explanation. i'm guessing it stems from a childhood trauma. perhaps an evil clown chased her with eggplant-cheesecake?

Make that a raisin cheesecake.