224 replies to this topic

#31 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 05:11 PM

I was expecting a meat course following the foie gras, but we honestly didn't need it. The serving of foie gras was huge.

Esperdenas are sea cucumbers, which lxt has strongly recommended in previous posts. Maybe I should have tried them.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#32 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 05:29 PM

I was expecting a meat course following the foie gras, but we honestly didn't need it. The serving of foie gras was huge.

Esperdenas are sea cucumbers, which lxt has strongly recommended in previous posts. Maybe I should have tried them.

Charmaine Solomon (Encyclopedia of Asian Food) does not make sea cucumbers sound appetizing in the least.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#33 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,182 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 05:37 PM

I have tried them and lived to tell the tale. Not for me. Gelatinous,slimy and rather tasteless.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#34 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 05:40 PM

I have tried them and lived to tell the tale. Not for me. Gelatinous,slimy and rather tasteless.

According to Solomon they're always dried and the process of rehydrating them requires repeated soaks in lye and vigorous scrubbing to remove the grit. Hence the taste and texture.

#35 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,351 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:04 PM

I have tried them and lived to tell the tale.  Not for me.  Gelatinous,slimy and rather tasteless.

According to Solomon they're always dried and the process of rehydrating them requires repeated soaks in lye and vigorous scrubbing to remove the grit. Hence the taste and texture.

Is Solomon very certain about that? I think I've seen fresh ones often enough, although those too need to be soaked and are as flavorless and gelatinous.
I never said that

#36 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:09 PM

I wish I could find lxt's comments - maybe on OA? They are clearly viewed as a delicacy in Spain.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#37 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:30 PM

I have tried them and lived to tell the tale.  Not for me.  Gelatinous,slimy and rather tasteless.

Is Solomon very certain about that? I think I've seen fresh ones often enough, although those too need to be soaked and are as flavorless and gelatinous.

Possibly not -- I'm relying on my memory of the article.

#38 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 07:40 PM

Frustrating: I also wanted to post about a splendid, spacious, two-level wine store I found, with a staggering, region-by-region selection of Spanish wines, as well as some foreign stuff. I know I brought their card home with me, but can I find it?

All is not lost. It's on Calle Jose Oretga y Gasset in the fancy Salamanca district, and it's on the same side of the street as Giorgio Armani, and very nearby - which is how I stumbled across it. Shouldn't be hard to track down. Yes, the name has the word "Vin" in it :o

This wasn't Lavinia was it, Wilf? I know there's one in Madrid.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#39 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 07:42 PM

Frustrating: I also wanted to post about a splendid, spacious, two-level wine store I found, with a staggering, region-by-region selection of Spanish wines, as well as some foreign stuff.  I know I brought their card home with me, but can I find it?

All is not lost.  It's on Calle Jose Oretga y Gasset in the fancy Salamanca district, and it's on the same side of the street as Giorgio Armani, and very nearby - which is how I stumbled across it.  Shouldn't be hard to track down.  Yes, the name has the word "Vin" in it  :o

This wasn't Lavinia was it, Wilf? I know there's one in Madrid.

Yep, looks like that's the one. Looking forward to it.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#40 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 07:43 PM

Well done. Sorry I lost the card. That's the place. It would be the right area for clothes shopping too, if the exchange rate were more favorable.
Elect-a-lujah

#41 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 07:45 PM

Well done. Sorry I lost the card. That's the place. It would be the right area for clothes shopping too, if the exchange rate were more favorable.

Lavinia in Paris earlier this year was a goldmine.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#42 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 01:32 AM

It´s a spreadable paste, hollywood - not much different from the original consistency of cabrales, which is quite a soft, spreadable blue.

I don't think that's the original consistency of cabrales. It's a bit more subtle than a "spreadable paste". :rolleyes:

#43 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,717 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 03:32 AM

It´s a spreadable paste, hollywood - not much different from the original consistency of cabrales, which is quite a soft, spreadable blue.

I don't think that's the original consistency of cabrales. It's a bit more subtle than a "spreadable paste". :rolleyes:

get a room.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary (current review: highland park 12)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#44 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:24 PM

off to Madrid tomorrow for a long-ish weekend (3 1/2 days). based on recommendations and reports here, this is our hit list:

La Broche
Arce
Kabuki
Zaranda
Arola
Viridiana
La Venencia
Chocolateria San Gines

we may check out Adria's FastGood (as it's open on Sunday) and numerous tapas places. and lots of jamon iberico!

also looking forward to visiting Lavinia (loved the one in Paris) and Reserva Y Cata, as well as San Miguel market.

anything we are missing or should try to squeeze in? any wines we should look for/try?

thanks!
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#45 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:46 PM

You need to squeeze in one of the great seafood places like Combarro. A must. And order percebes. Good call on Arce. As for good wine, one of the other two seafood places I hit (don't recall the name, but they're on par with Combarro and well known) has 1925 Ygay on the menu for 125 euros or so. At least that was the case in Sep.

Unfortunately, I found the Lavinia in Madrid inferior to its Paris counterpart.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids