121 replies to this topic

#1 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:15 AM

It is with tremendous sadness that I report the passing of our beloved friend and brother, Winesonoma (Bruce Frigard). Several weeks ago, he caught the cough that has been going around and it settled into his lungs. He was in the hospital in Sonoma for a week right after New Years, still reading the boards and staying in touch via his computer. A week later, he was transferred to UCSF and, having been put on a list for a potential lung transplant, succumbed on Saturday, January 14th.

I met Bruce just over two years ago, during the planning of an eGullet potluck at my house in Napa. Bruce was a Sonoma local who, during the planning of that event, offered extra tables, stoves, tables, etc. In that planning, when he learned I worked at an historical winery, dashed up to meet me in person, do some barrel tastings, and a great friendship was born.

At the potluck itself, I fell madly in love with his girlfriend, Patricia, and it was not hard to see their mutual attraction and high regard for one another. Bruce brought caseloads of his self-produced wine to the party for all to share. He often cajoled me to join him in a game of Petanque (yes, Bruce, I regret that I never once had the opportunity to play a game with you!) and regailed me with stories from his past and present. He loved to talk about his time working on the Golden Gate Bridge and although it was never confirmed, we both believed that we met twenty-some years ago via his ex-wife.

We met occasionally at this bar or that on the Sonoma square and the last time I saw him -- happy and enjoying food and wine -- was at The General's Daughter on Thanksgiving. I was pleased to be able to send over and share some vintage Champagne and we toasted each other, in thanks.

This evening, as I open a good bottle of St. Clemet Oroppas and nibble some fine cheese, I invite you to share your memories of Bruce Frigard, Winesonoma. His love of life was an inspiration to me and I shall miss him deeply. I am sure he touched many people here as well, through his obvious passion and love of food, wine, and life.

#2 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:16 AM

Oh, my. How very very sad. I will raise a glass to him this evening.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#3 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:20 AM

This is about the saddest thing imaginable.

Carrie- will there be a local service we can attend? Please keep us posted.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#4 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,669 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:22 AM

this is such terrible news. i was hoping to give bruce shit about his "buy a mac" schtick for years to come. carolyn, do convey our collective condolences to patricia.

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#5 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:22 AM

What a shock. I can't even think of anything reasonable to say. Very sad. Thanks for letting us know, Carolyn.

#6 Chef/Writer Spencer

Chef/Writer Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:28 AM

From what I read the guy was the real deal. Very sad loss indeed. May he be tending a great vineyard in the sky.
I love eGullet. I love eGullet. eGullet loves me.

#7 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:30 AM

How dreadfully sad.

Rest in peace, Bruce. I'm sure you're surrounded by Macintosh users in heaven.
"Nana, I just counted to infinity really fast!" Logan, age 5-1/2

#8 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:31 AM

Very sad news indeed.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#9 9lives

9lives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:39 AM

I'm so sad to learn of this. Peace and good wishes to his friends and family.

#10 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,681 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:49 AM

Damn. Helluva nice guy. Offered to send me some wine, but apparently couldn't due to me being just a citizen and not having some kinda permit or license or some such. He wasn't that old, was he? Bruce, here's to you!

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#11 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:51 AM

Sad. That is a beautiful tribute you wrote.

He wrote of his condition in a thread on OA about quitting smoking. Carolyn, what does it mean "he caught the cough that is going around?" I had no idea it was potentially lethal. I know a couple of people who have had a severe cough for weeks now. This worries me.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#12 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:55 AM

This is such terribly sad news.

Bruce was a terrific guy with a wonderful attitude, terrific sense of humor and strong character. He was of great help to me at the eG picnic I organized in Golden Gate Park. I am deeply saddened by this news.

So long, Bruce -- I'll miss you.

RIP

PS Carrie, do let me know if there is a service. I'd like to try to be there if I'm able.
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#13 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:58 AM

Terrible unexpected news. I was looking forward to many more years of bantering back and forth & even to spend some time arguing in person during his threatened trip back to Bklyn. Rest in peace Bruce. We'll miss you.

This space available… contact owner.

#14 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:59 AM

Oh no.
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#15 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,456 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:01 AM

This is so sad.

Carrie, please offer my condolences to Patricia. I'll raise a glass to him tonight.
Future Legacy Participant.