123 replies to this topic

#106 JPW

JPW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:45 PM

Meanwhile, the world juniors started in Buffalo yesterday. The Switz. beat Germany, US beat the Finns in OT, and Canada won. They're showing the tournament on NHL Center Ice, but since most of the games are during the day we're not going to splurge.

I've watched a few games. I've been amazed at how empty the stands are.

US lost to Canada in the semi-final last night. It's a Russia-Canada final.

Winter Classic was pretty good this year. Although I could have done without the constant focus on the weather.

Wow! What an epic collapse by the Canadian Juniors. Up 3-0 in the third only to lose 5-3!
"You know what we need around here? More guidelines. I don't think we have enough guidelines. I mean -- look at that other place, it even has guidelines for its guidelines."

"Also, we don't "ban" people in the arbitrary fashion you are describing. It's a meticulous and careful process, which is only used sparingly." -jhlurie (now ex-officio)

#107 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,673 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:41 PM

Not my sport at all, but I've been watching with interest the growing pressure on the NHL to crack down on violent hits and ban fighting. Just saw Air Canada threatening to withdraw major sponsorship. This is going to really hurt hockey, isn't it? Always seems that the roughhousing is a major part of the fun. Is this a unique case of a sport where fighting after the whistle is blown has just been part of the game?

#108 JPW

JPW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:21 PM

Not my sport at all, but I've been watching with interest the growing pressure on the NHL to crack down on violent hits and ban fighting. Just saw Air Canada threatening to withdraw major sponsorship. This is going to really hurt hockey, isn't it? Always seems that the roughhousing is a major part of the fun. Is this a unique case of a sport where fighting after the whistle is blown has just been part of the game?

Only in North America. There is almost no fighting in European leagues or in international play. Having played in high school and college, I really wish they would get rid of it.

However, the fighting has almost nothing to do with the concussion problem. Just as in the NFL, the major problem is that the players have gotten so incredibly big and strong and fast. Zdeno Charo, the perpetrator of the most recent controversy is 6 foot 9 and weighs 255 pounds. Ovechkin is 6 foot 2 and 235 pounds. Even Sidney Crosby, who looks tiny compared to many players is 6 foot and 200 pounds.
"You know what we need around here? More guidelines. I don't think we have enough guidelines. I mean -- look at that other place, it even has guidelines for its guidelines."

"Also, we don't "ban" people in the arbitrary fashion you are describing. It's a meticulous and careful process, which is only used sparingly." -jhlurie (now ex-officio)

#109 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,673 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:23 AM

Dream of a headline:

Who Needs a Beard?

Another word which can't really be used any more without extreme care.

#110 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

Since we don't have college hockey thread I thought I would post a link to the NYTimes article about the closing of The Barn in Windsor after 87 hockey seasons.

The slideshow that goes with the article is really great. I found the photo of the players pushing the Zamboni particularly interesting. Does anyone who was playing or watching hockey at the time remember Cooperalls?
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#111 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,366 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:02 AM

Our long national nightmare is over. MSG and Time Warner finally worked out a deal and I can watch Islanders games on tv again. We've been going old school listening to radio feed (online).
Future Legacy Participant.

#112 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,008 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Did anyone else see the Caps-Bruins game yesterday? I wasn't happy with the outcome, but what an exciting game.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#113 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:43 PM

Not that I really care, but the Kings did win the Stanley Cup for the first time ever. :P

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#114 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,366 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:42 AM

Not that I really care, but the Kings did win the Stanley Cup for the first time ever. :P

What, you're not going to jump on the bandwagon now?

Kings got fantastic goaltending from Quick who deservedly was awarded the Conn Smythe.

#115 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:32 AM

What, you're not going to jump on the bandwagon now?

Kings got fantastic goaltending from Quick who deservedly was awarded the Conn Smythe.

I did go to some King games back in the days of the Dionne Line aka the Triple Crown Line.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#116 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

Because of his time on the Wild, there has been a lot of coverage of the career of Derek Boogaard and the sad end of his life.  Not a surprise that his family has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the NHL.

There are many reasons I prefer the US college hockey game to that of the pros and fighting is one of them.  I hope that this move forces the NHL to reevaluate what the league does to encourage fighting to bring in money.  Bare-knuckle fighting is historical artifact and should not be part of the modern game.  That many (most?) of the fans enjoy the fights is not a good reason to continue to sanction the violence.

(Note that I'm all for physical play and clean checking.  Those are part of the beauty of the game.)

Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#117 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,366 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:22 AM

Stanley Cup Finals begin tonight. My bet is Blackhawks in 6.

#118 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

One of the most grueling hockey games I've ever watched.

#119 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,366 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

One of the most grueling hockey games I've ever watched.

After two OTs I went to bed - had an early meeting. Talk about heart attack hockey.

#120 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,366 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:53 AM

And game two is headed into overtime!