119 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 03:56 PM

Rendered lethargic by illness recently, but obliged to put something on the table, I bought one of those ready-corned, plastic-wrapped hunks of brisket from the supermarket. I thought I would just bung it in the oven with some onions, carrots and stock and go back to bed for a couple of hours.

I cooked it on a low-ish oven - 275/300 - and after two hours it looked okay. But on tasting, it was inedible - the fat/collagen hadn't broken down at all. Disgusted, I slammed it back in the oven and ignored it for the rest of the evening. I finally set it free after about five and a half hours. And it was fine. Rather good, in fact.

Did I completely underestimate the cooking time? Heat too low? Should I have cooked it in lots of water on top of the stove?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#2 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,022 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:00 PM

It would have never occurred to me to bung it in the oven. Water on top of the stove, with the same aromatics, is the way to go in half the time.

#3 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:07 PM

I would normally have done the same - just feel uncomfortable with having something simmering on the stove top while asleep in bed. Maybe I have invented a new dish: slow braised corned beef. :wub:
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#4 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,022 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:08 PM

That's interesting. I would have felt uncomfortable sleeping with the oven turned on.

#5 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:16 PM

What a pampered life you must have led as a student. It were our main source of heat. :wub:
Elect-a-lujah

#6 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:20 PM

That's interesting. I would have felt uncomfortable sleeping with the oven turned on.

Interesting--I feel uncomfortable when I let my smoker go overnight, which is necessary in many cases, but I have no problem with the stove. In fact, for certain bean dishes and a recent short rib preparation it's a must.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#7 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,905 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:53 PM

Ditto on the simmering -- I think that's what the instructions call for. And the corned beefs I've bought came with a little plastic pouch of aromatics.

I got over leaving the smoker on overnight when I realized that no wind would blow it over. (I do stress about temp spikes, but that's a different issue.)

And she was.

#8 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:59 PM

Yes, there was a little plastic sachet of aromatics, but I discarded it.
Elect-a-lujah

#9 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,905 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 05:01 PM

Well, if you realized it was a "pouch" and not a "sachet" it probably would have been more appealing.

And she was.

#10 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 05:06 PM

I am afraid that even giving it a French name didn't increase it's appeal.
Elect-a-lujah

#11 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 06:39 PM

This past weekend I had the pleasure of eating some brisket, brought back that same day, from Kreuz's in Austin. This was one of the best things I've ever eaten. The ribs and sausage were also sublime.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#12 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:29 AM

I've made corned beef in the oven before - I place it on a raised rack with water underneath for steam. You have to treat it just like a regular brisket - low heat for a long time. The brining only helps with the flavor, not with breaking down the colagen.
Future Legacy Participant.

#13 Maurice Naughton

Maurice Naughton

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:45 AM

My mother never made corned beef and cabbage 'cause she considered it "Shanty Irish.' She fancied herself "Lace Curtain."
Cambridge University Professor of Electrical Engineering, Sir Charles Oatley, in October, 1948, along with his student Dennis McMullan, began the research that led to the production of the first scanning electron microscope in 1965.

I thought you'd want to know.

#14 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:06 PM

I bought a veal breast, which I am planning to turn into brisket this weekend...stay tuned.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#15 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 02:28 PM

Isn't that just a completely different cut of meat? Do you mean you are going to brine it and slow-cook it?

Incidentally, I was looked at a large color photograph of corned beef served at Locke-Ober around 1965 last night. Made me very happy.
Elect-a-lujah