119 replies to this topic

#106 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:43 PM

Wine with what I'm assuming is a quasi-Indian spice mixture seems odd to me. Not that I'm saying it shouldn't work.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#107 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,585 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:48 PM

works very well actually. i generally use cheaper spanish reds. as you might be able to tell from the third picture, after de-fatting there's not that much liquid left. most of the body is from the onions.

the blend is heavy on red chillis and coriander seeds. also in there: some cumin, cloves, cinnamon, pepper, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds and a bit of sichuan peppercorn.

tough to say what the best part of this dish is: the meat or the potatoes and carrots.

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#108 fentona

fentona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:06 PM

5.5 lb. brisket, cured for three days, rubbed, smoked and steamed until... pastrami!

Posted Image

And... the sandwich:

Posted Image
Andrew Fenton

#109 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,483 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:26 PM

I'm getting on the next train. That looks great!!

Did you add TCM (curing salt) to keep it that color?

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#110 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,556 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:51 PM

Very pretty.

#111 fentona

fentona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:53 PM

Thanks! Yes, there was some pink salt in the cure.

It tastes great; to take it to the next level, though, I need to get my hands on a cold smoking rig so I can get a really heavy smoke on it.
Andrew Fenton

#112 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,965 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:23 PM

I am very impressed.

#113 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,425 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:53 PM

I'm having some corned beef issues and need some help. I made one on Thursday night, to serve for guests yesterday. Because it was 5.5 pounds, and oddly huge and flat (you can't tell the shape of these things when you but them as they're folded up), I decided to soak it in cold water first and then braise in water and aromatics for 3 hours at 300F rather than just boiling it. The meat was just kind of dry. What am I doing wrong? It seems like lately I can't my corned beef to come out right. Technically, braising should work.
Future Legacy Participant.

#114 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,965 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:03 PM

Was the meat unusually lean to begin with?

#115 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,425 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:19 AM

Was the meat unusually lean to begin with?

Now that you ask, yes - it was fairly lean.
Future Legacy Participant.

#116 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:45 PM

I have a very large piece of brisket (I asked for point, but it might be the whole brisket--it's pretty big!). My plan is to cut it in half (or thirds) and use one piece to make a spice-rubbed corned beef. I think spice-rubbed is easier for me than brined since I don't have the space to brine a brisket.

The recipe I'm planning on using for the rub is:

* 1/2 cup kosher salt
* 1 tablespoon black peppercorns, cracked
* 3/4 tablespoon ground allspice
* 1 tablespoon dried thyme
* 1/2 tablespoon paprika
* 2 bay leaves, crumbled
* 1 fresh beef brisket (4 to 6 pounds), preferably point cut, trimmed of excess fat, patted dry

Does this seem like a reasonable recipe? Is there anything missing that would make a tastier brisket?

My brisket is relatively new (the cow was just slaughtered earlier this week) and I was told I should age it a bit longer. Is this a necessary step?

If I'm making corned beef, can I do the rub and then leave it for another week, or should I let it age for a week or so, then put the rub on and wait another week?

If I freeze some of the un-rubbed brisket, when I'm ready to use it, should I age it a bit longer again?

Should all these quesitons go in Clueless Questions II?

#117 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:10 PM

Someone kindly offered to cut my brisket up into more manageable portions. Unbeknownst to me, that someone had ulterior motives and she stole the point to use for her own purposes! And she had already cut it up into cubes (cubes!!!) by the time I found out, so there will be no corning of the point for me. :(

Now all I have left is the much less fatty flat. I'm very disappointed, but I will rub it with my spice mixture and hope for the best.

#118 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,697 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:24 PM

Someone kindly offered to cut my brisket up into more manageable portions. Unbeknownst to me, that someone had ulterior motives and she stole the point to use for her own purposes! And she had already cut it up into cubes (cubes!!!) by the time I found out, so there will be no corning of the point for me. :(

Now all I have left is the much less fatty flat. I'm very disappointed, but I will rub it with my spice mixture and hope for the best.

pour some bacon grease on it and think happy thoughts

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#119 FoodDabbler

FoodDabbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:41 PM

I think you've learned a valuable lesson here. The next time somebody offers to
"cut your brisket" just say no.

#120 DanM

DanM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:44 PM

The Rancho Gordo version:

1601962459_c693d5d015_o.jpg

1602853276_498edce9f9_o.jpg

and for breakfast, tacos with the brisket and queso fresco:

1601962227_7eeb17376d_o.jpg

The only thing I would do differently next time is maybe a little less liquid and I'd cumin.

I picked up a small first cut brisket at the market. It was on sale and my wife has been hankering for a good steak. I am not a beef eater (long story...), so this is foreign territory for me. This just looks fantastic. I assume this is based on this recipe on your website? Would it benefit from a slow braise on the grill to pick up some of the smokey flavors?

Dan