120 replies to this topic

#1 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:36 PM

If I weren't so shy, I'd love to participate......

Ha! Sounds great. Rajas are a fine idea as they also help with the whole charring issue. And rajas with cotija cheese on a hot fresh tortilla is heaven.

I also wonder if anyone else caught Alton Brown preparing charred chiles. He makes a mistake so throroughly that I have trouble with anything else he says.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#2 guajolote

guajolote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:41 PM

I also wonder if anyone else caught Alton Brown preparing charred chiles. He makes a mistake so throroughly that I have trouble with anything else he says.

what did he do?

#3 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:45 PM

I'm in, if somebody will tell me what the parameters are.

Could it be rajas con cebolla y crema instead of rajas con limón? I'll be glad to post a recipe.

And yeah, what did he do?

Cristina
Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

#4 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:55 PM

I hope you're sitting down because this is so shocking!!!!

After scrapping the charred skin of the chile, he insisted that you run the entire chile under plenty of cold, running water!

Actually, I bet there are good cooks who do this but he speaks in such absolutes that it frosts me. I would never do this myself.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#5 guajolote

guajolote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:57 PM

I hope you're sitting down because this is so shocking!!!!

After scrapping the charred skin of the chile, he insisted that you run the entire chile under plenty of cold, running water!

Actually, I bet there are good cooks who do this but he speaks in such absolutes that it frosts me. I would never do this myself.

:lol:

#6 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:34 PM

WELL!!! I am horrified at the thought of running charred chiles under plenty of cold water. Válgame Dios, how could he insist on such a thing?

Cristina
Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

#7 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 08:18 PM

:lol:

Another vote for rajas con cebolla y crema. Or since we're charring/peeling anyway (NOT RINSING), maybe both?
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#8 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,893 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 09:16 PM

Here's how green I am -- I had to look up rajas.

#9 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 09:25 PM

Here's what I have on my website: Rajas

I would love it if my instructions were more clear. Don't worry about offending it you think I've missed something.

#10 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 09:51 PM

Me too.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#11 bilrus

bilrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 10:46 PM

I didn't have have to look it up - because you did it for me. Thanks.

I'd be willing to give this experiment a go too.

#12 shelora

shelora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 11:06 PM

i usually char my chiles either on my cast iron griddle, which works perfect. Occasionally I will do them on my gas barbeque, but I have to watch that the flesh doesn't overcook.
The other method I have observed, in a few Mex. restaurants I have worked in, is the deep fried technique. Takes seconds and gives an even all round flesh removal that can be hard to duplicate on a griddle. The poblanos we get up here have all these nooks and crannies making it almost impossible to get an even char. On the other hand, the deep fry technique doesn't give you that nice hint of charring flavour I enjoy.
Have a Goldstone, Mr. Eggroll.
Tell me any little thing that I can do.
Have some fried rice, Mr. Soy Sauce.
Have a cookie, have a few!

Cooking with a Broad
The fabulous art of Bill Blair

#13 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 12:36 AM

The other method I have observed, in a few Mex. restaurants I have worked in, is the deep fried technique. Takes seconds and gives an even all round flesh removal that can be hard to duplicate on a griddle. The poblanos we get up here have all these nooks and crannies making it almost impossible to get an even char.

Bayliss suggests somwhere that brushing the chilies with oil helps to even out the cooking. Not sure I believe it.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#14 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,335 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 12:57 AM

Oh dear. Alton does NOT understand chiles.
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#15 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 01:40 AM

The other method I have observed, in a few Mex. restaurants I have worked in, is the deep fried technique. Takes seconds and gives an even all round flesh removal that can be hard to duplicate on a griddle.

Regarding the "even all 'round flesh removal" thing -- after I char and blister the peppers, I stick them into a plastic bag to steam for a few minutes and the peels slip right off.

The Voice of America