127 replies to this topic

#121 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:44 PM

i'm thinking this special dinner -Chamorro Pibil - Lamb shank marinated overnight in wine, wrapped in Adabo in banana leaves and baked to perfection -
any further insights?..

EDIT: here what i googled out:

The chamorro I mention is a pork shank, often barbequed wrapped in banana leaves estilo Yucateco (al pibil). There's a recipe for it in Marge Poore's 1000 Mexican Recipes. There are other ways of cooking it as well, but this recipe would suit for the barbecue theme. It's absolutely falling-off-the-bone delicious.

There is also chamorro de cordero (lamb shank), prepared in similar way to the pork, and chamorro de res, generally presented as osso bucco.

Ooh, make it, make it, and tell us all about it.

Generally speaking, each pork shank is one serving. I've never done it with lamb; those shanks are smaller than pork shanks, so you'd want to guide yourself accordingly.
Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

#122 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:33 AM

reporting back:

Life is hard so why not do what everyone here in Mexico City does in terms of the achiote seasoning -- buy it in the brick form -- which I know is available in New York, New Jersey,

apparently my life here* is much easier as i ended up pounding achiote seeds myself.

in any event the verdict was that pork is preferable for pibil - we found that the seasoning might be
too delicate for lamb (or lamb is too assertive for the spicing).
The addition of thinly sliced red bell pepper and tomatoes was a nice touch - surprisingly they preserved their shape after 3hours in low oven; the broth was tasty, and as always the aroma of roasted banana leaves created a special atmoshere in the kitchen :D
so all in all it was a very good dish.

* - part of NJ where none of numerous mexican groceries carry achiote seasoning.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#123 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:57 AM

reporting back:

Life is hard so why not do what everyone here in Mexico City does in terms of the achiote seasoning -- buy it in the brick form -- which I know is available in New York, New Jersey,

apparently my life here* is much easier as i ended up pounding achiote seeds myself.

in any event the verdict was that pork is preferable for pibil - we found that the seasoning might be
too delicate for lamb (or lamb is too assertive for the spicing).
The addition of thinly sliced red bell pepper and tomatoes was a nice touch - surprisingly they preserved their shape after 3hours in low oven; the broth was tasty, and as always the aroma of roasted banana leaves created a special atmoshere in the kitchen :D
so all in all it was a very good dish.

* - part of NJ where none of numerous mexican groceries carry achiote seasoning.

So did you end up making your own paste? I've never done it. Was it worth the bother?

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#124 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:13 PM

I'm going to be vacationing in a place where there are sour oranges and bananas growing. Since I'll be taking along a lot of foodstuffs, throwing a small brick of achiote paste in my suitcase shouldn't tip the scales...

Question: any tips for making c. pibil with fresh banana leaves?

#125 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,473 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:57 PM

Remember to put your paste in your checked bags (or put it in a container that used to hold something of that weight or less-as is clearly stamped that way-and in your ziplock baggie) so the TSA folks don't toss it :blink: .

#126 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:02 PM

Yeah, all the food – and my knives – is going in checked bags.

#127 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,211 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:09 PM

Skimming this thread, it seems as though pork shoulder would work. Si or no?
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#128 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:39 AM

Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.