11 replies to this topic

#1 shelora

shelora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:21 PM

I was taught a very simple recipe in Mexico this past trip. It's called Pollo Enchilada, made with nothing but chiles, garlic, onion and a bunch of avacado leaves. I was going to try it with pork shoulder this weekend.
Does anyone want to play?
Have a Goldstone, Mr. Eggroll.
Tell me any little thing that I can do.
Have some fried rice, Mr. Soy Sauce.
Have a cookie, have a few!

Cooking with a Broad
The fabulous art of Bill Blair

#2 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:34 PM

Boy, I'd like to try it, but don't know where I'd get avocado leaves. I'll have to check around and get back to y'all.

The Voice of America

#3 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:53 PM

Jaymes, I have some. I can PM them to you. :blush:

Edited to add:
For future reference you can get them from...
- The CMC Company
- Gourmet Sleuth
- World Spice

Rick Bayless says that you can sub 1/2 rib of fresh fennel, roughly chopped for 2 avocado leaves.
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#4 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:43 AM

Jaymes, I have some. I can PM them to you. :blush:

Edited to add:
For future reference you can get them from...
- The CMC Company
- Gourmet Sleuth
- World Spice

Rick Bayless says that you can sub 1/2 rib of fresh fennel, roughly chopped for 2 avocado leaves.

Hey, thanks. PM Service, eh? PMS for short?

Actually, we do have a couple of small Mexican markets here in town, and thought I'd give them a call tomorrow.

The Voice of America

#5 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 02:12 AM

Hey, I got avocado leaves...I'll play.

#6 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 03:54 AM

You should sew them into a fetching bikini and play Sheena of the Jungle, dawl.

#7 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 03:04 PM

You should sew them into a fetching bikini and play Sheena of the Jungle, dawl.

Ooooh, no...my bikini days are lo-o-o-o-o-ng past. Trust me.

#8 shelora

shelora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 05:42 PM

Okay. Here we go.

This recipe was shown to me quickly. I was working with a cook in Oaxaca and we made the recipe together to feed a staff of 15. There might still be some tweaking involved and it's writtten out rather roughly. I have made the recipe twice with chicken legs to great success. I did not use the amount of chicken called for, it works just fine with less meat, leaving you with extra sauce.
Tomorrow I will attempt it with pork shoulder which I will slow bake wrapped in banana leaves.
Any questions, just let me know.

Pollo Enchilada (by Paulina in Oaxaca)

125 grams (1/4 kilo) chile guajillo
3 cloves garlic
1/2 white onion
up to 15 pieces of chicken (legs and thighs)
salt to taste
10 - 15 avacado leaves

Toast the chilies, being careful not to burn them, and soak in hot water until very soft.
Remove the chilie's stems and puree the chilies (with the seeds) with the garlic, onion, salt and some of the soaking liquid to release the blades until smooth.
Lay down the avacado leaves in a large pot. Place the chicken on top. Pour the chile sauce on top of the chicken. Add more water or chile soaking water if needed to cover the chicken. Bring to the boil and simmer until chicken is done and pools of oil form on top. Taste for salt. Discard avacado leaves or alternatively, you can lay them down on a platter with chicken on top.
Serve with white rice.
* Alternatively, you can wrap individual pieces of chicken in foil with the sauce. Put an avacado leaf or two on top of chicken and steam over water until done.

Cooking with a Broad

#9 shelora

shelora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:15 AM

Hello,
The recipe turned out quite well with minor adjustments needed for next time. This is a photo of the dish before it went into the oven. I placed avacado leaves on the bottom of the pork and on top. I wrapped the pork in banana leaves, then a layer of tin foil. The whole dish sat on top of a rack in a roasting pan with a layer of water in the bottom providing steam.
Posted Image
I slow-cooked the pork shoulder at 300 for 4 hours.

Here is the little devil unwrapped
Posted Image

My adjustments would be, adjusting avacado leaves according to the source. This time I used a pre-packaged variety that just didn't have enough aroma like the leaves I brought back from Mexico.
I didn't use all the chile seeds this time and in retrospect, I feel that was a mistake.
The pork was served simply with white rice and hot corn tortillas, with extra sauce on the side.

S

Cooking with a Broad

#10 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:06 AM

Ooh, that looks good. I wish my cooking schedule weren't so addled right now...

~A
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#11 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:21 PM

Shelora, tesoro, do you strain the chiles through a mesh or do they go in as is?

When I took my class with DK and the recipe called for avacado leaves, we had local trees and used the leaves. Everyone went on and on about how they weren't right and she said go ahead. When we toasted them they were pretty faint but there was a little something there. I asked her privately, "Aren't these supposed to be kind of toxic?" and she very sweetly said, "I think so, but I don't think we should worry about it."

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#12 shelora

shelora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:04 PM

Shelora, tesoro, do you strain the chiles through a mesh or do they go in as is?
When I took my class with DK and the recipe called for avacado leaves, we had local trees and used the leaves. Everyone went on and on about how they weren't right and she said go ahead. When we toasted them they were pretty faint but there was a little something there. I asked her privately, "Aren't these supposed to be kind of toxic?" and she very sweetly said, "I think so, but I don't think we should worry about it."

Hello Rancho G.
I recommend wiping chilies with a damp cloth before toasting and soaking and really it is advisable to strain the chilie soaking water in a separate bowl - not over the blender - before using.
I fished out the chilies with a slotted spoon.

That's a recent story about DK, right? Kinda sad, but kinda funny.

Cooking with a Broad