41 replies to this topic

#31 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,861 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:49 PM

I agree that the Berns experience far exceeds Lugars. But I don't think the steaks at Berns are nearly as good.

And she was.

#32 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE(Stone @ May 27 2010, 10:49 AM) View Post
I agree that the Berns experience far exceeds Lugars. But I don't think the steaks at Berns are nearly as good.

I don't see the difference, but then again I'm not really a steak person and porterhouse is my least favorite. I prefer a strip. The steaks at Bern's are a combination of purchased prime and then aged 6-8 weeks in a locker that's the size of most NYC apartments. The extra aging taste is something people may not enjoy.

They also raise some of their own cattle as they do most of their veggies. The fish, caviar choices, sides, killer French Onion Soup, wine list, dessert room and service put Bern's at level Luger can only dream.

Even in NYC, I think the steaks at Wolfgang's and S&W match up favorably with Luger.

#33 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,861 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:27 PM

I found Bern's steaks to be oddly butchered (I usually get a strip or ribeye), and tend to be dry. I recall that the strip steaks I've gotten were rectangular blocks, about 1.5 x. 1.5 x 4. Just a little strange. But that's me.
Eating at the bar is a wonderful experience and should not be missed when in Tampa.

And she was.

#34 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE(Stone @ May 27 2010, 11:27 AM) View Post
I found Bern's steaks to be oddly butchered (I usually get a strip or ribeye), and tend to be dry. I recall that the strip steaks I've gotten were rectangular blocks, about 1.5 x. 1.5 x 4. Just a little strange. But that's me.
Eating at the bar is a wonderful experience and should not be missed when in Tampa.

I do agree they are somewhat drier than most and that's due to the extra aging, though the consistency of how it's cooked amazes me.

The strip was in a block? That's something I've not experienced. Last Saturday Peggy and I shared a 16 ounce strip and it certainly had an irregular shape. Maybe it depends on whose butchering that day or night.

#35 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:03 PM

Bern's original or Sideberns, y'all? Hitting Tampa in early November.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#36 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,118 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:47 PM

I liked SideBern's. Many many tapas sized plates, lots of interesting choices. Full sized plates, too. They also access the wine cellar at Bern's, so the choice of wines is immense.

Sample Menu

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#37 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,861 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:44 PM

Original. The room is at least half of the experience.

And she was.

#38 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:34 PM

I posted this to another board after a 2009 visit:

I was there a couple of weeks ago (first time visit).

Straight outta the Bizarro World.

Steak was so-so. Veggies were a felony committed against food. Dessert sucked more than Linda Lovelace and I could make a better cheeseplate from the scrapings between my toes.

The best part is that I can finally say that I've eaten at Bern's and now have no reason to return.

The bordello decor, pedestrian short loins etc . . . The service was good with a lot of silly pretentious elements. My dessert description was kind.

If you're in the area; The Salt Rock Grill in Indian Rocks offers a consistently better dining experience at far less money.

ETA: I don't get out much anymore, but I still know when I'm getting snookered.

Just my opinion :)
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#39 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:49 PM

The note they send when you get a reservation totally turned me off. I'm actually canceling the reservation because of it. So, Nick, I hear ya. ;)
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

#40 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:01 AM

The note they send when you get a reservation totally turned me off. I'm actually canceling the reservation because of it. So, Nick, I hear ya. ;)

Well, I guess I have to disagree with Nick on this. Ginny and I went to Sideberns then Berns on 2 successive nights a couple of weeks ago & had a terrible meal at Sideberns and an excellent one at Berns. Sideberns chef (who took over 4 years ago) has been changing the menu and the room over the past 2 years, according to the bartender & the current menu is... well, not good. How about an entree of salmon w/mustard mashed potatoes, sitting in a pork jus? Every dish was similarly over ingredient-ed to the point of having a food war plate. I think he's trying to be innovative/inventive and coming up with dorm room ideas. Way over priced as well.

Our dinner at Berns, on the other hand, was very, very good. We had a large 32 oz piece of meat for 4 of us and ordered wines that were very old, still very good and incredibly well priced (the mark up is a % of what they paid for the wine when they bought it and it yields some very interesting selections... stay away from the recent vintages, since they're paying a little less than current retail and adding their restaurant mark-up). The steaks were dry aged but, since we didnt have the same cut, I cant compare it to Luger. However, it's as good an overall experience as any steak house around here and significantly better than most. The place itself is a must experience if you're in Tampa.

This space available… contact owner.

#41 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,861 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:41 PM

It's not like there's another great option.

And she was.

#42 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:52 PM

It's not like there's another great option.

Well, my dining partner has vetoed it and he's paying. ;)