8 replies to this topic

#1 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:11 AM

Coveting every plant in Breck's catalog - they have all bulbs imaginable direct from Holland.
What's your reliable source of new and interesting things for the garden?
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#2 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 03:16 AM

just discovered so no personal experience but damn tempted:
Arbor Day Foundation
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#3 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 04:15 AM

gardenweb.com has a seed exchange
Gone fishing for the summer.

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:59 PM

Coveting every plant in Breck's catalog -  they have all bulbs imaginable direct from Holland.
What's your reliable source of new and interesting things for the garden?

I've used Well-Sweep Farm in Port Murray NJ for many years. It's a delightful ride out in the country to an extensive range of herbs and greenery. (The "Port" in its name comes from the Morris Canal, which passed near the farm.)

Wide range of basils, mints, and other vegetation. Not organic, but they do use their own chicken and sheep compost.

Well-Sweep

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#5 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:41 PM

Von Bourgondien's is the catalog I drool over and order from the most. I've been happy with everything I've ordered, except for some foxglove, which were miniscule to begin with and didn't take my neglect and abuse kindly.

They have a very liberal wholesale policy: pretty much anyone who orders more than $150 (I think that's the amount) in plants can get wholesale pricing.

#6 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 04:42 PM

White Flower Farm makes me salivate (salveate?). But they're damned expensive. I think that Echinacea 'Harvest Moon' is just about the prettiest one I've seen. And that Daylily mix is stunning. (Edit: I don't garden. I point.)
"Nana, I just counted to infinity really fast!" Logan, age 5-1/2

#7 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:02 PM

White Flower Farm ...that Daylily mix is stunning.

We have a gift certificate from White Flower Farm; I'm holding on to it until we can get a certain hillside prepared, at which point I'll order the daylily mix.

Friends of mine have a piece of property with several deep banks cut around it, all of them planted in mixed daylilies (many from White Flower). I'd guess they have nearly a half-acre of daylilies. They have a big cocktail party every summer when the lilies are at their peak (no surprise they call it their Annual Lily Party). I wish I had pictures. It's heartbreakingly beautiful.

#8 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:14 AM

The 2012 Well Sweep Farm catalog is available.

Almost 2,000 varieties of herbs and spices, as well as many essential oils, soaps, etc I've found it my go-to place for lavender, rosemary, a dozen varieties of oregano, etc. A cornucopia of chickens, too.

The farm in Port Murray NJ is a very pleasant place to visit in early May, when the selection is near its peak.

Well Sweep Catalog

Well Sweep

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#9 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,568 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

Business has been so bad these last few years that one of the bigger (and better IMO) perennial grows in the Tri-state area almost didn't plant this year. At the last minute they finally pulled it together. So in other words - don't overpay for white flower stuff if its things you can find around here more easily and cheaply.
Why not mayo?