Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:30 PM

Then why are you running at a loss?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#17 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,451 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:31 PM

you need another vacation

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#18 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,451 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:34 PM

but the "big" announcement is here.

i like this bit:

But somebody up there must be a Chowhound, because, as you have read in the press, online communities suddenly became all the rage.

suddenly? someone needs to buy that man a watch.

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#19 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:00 PM

I was going to make the title Chowhound Sells Out, but that would be more than tendentious. I would have placed a bet that eGullet would have been the first to get snapped up - but the "big" announcement is here.

Apparently they'll get new software now. ;)

Shucks! I thought it was going to be purchased by Dubai Ports World. ;)

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#20 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,122 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:08 PM

i am a prophet

Have you had any offers for Mongomania?

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#21 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,451 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:09 PM

i am a prophet

Have you had any offers for Mongomania?

some suggestions on places where i could put it. but nothing that could be monetized except to a very niche fetish audience.

~homer simpson

#22 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,800 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:15 PM

do people who have made "donations" to CH own part of the deal?
I never said that

#23 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:16 PM

Why would they? They made donations, not investments.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#24 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,122 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:18 PM

I'll be visiting Per Se tonight and will follow up with Gilt tomorrow. ;)

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#25 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,800 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:19 PM

I'll be visiting Per Se tonight and will follow up with Gilt tomorrow. ;)

;)

mitchells -- I was referring to a discussion between CH and cabby a while ago, but seriously I think there's been some representation of that site as practically a non-profit/loss-making operation.
I never said that

#26 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:19 PM

Given that CNET sites are covered in ads I wonder how Leff can continue to claim

"I guard my anonymity and my opinion cannot be bought. I always pay my own tab, and this site will never contain restaurant advertising. "

(I see nothing wrong in restaurant advertising, FWIW.)
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#27 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:53 PM

I wonder how Leff can continue to claim

"I guard my anonymity and my opinion cannot be bought. I always pay my own tab, and this site will never contain restaurant advertising. "

Just like he has all along? ;)

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#28 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,122 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:53 PM

Given that CNET sites are covered in ads I wonder how Leff can continue to claim

I'm assuming the terms of the deal excluded restaurant advertising from the mix.

The concept of the potential conflict between advertisers and the news/reviews side of print and electronic media is well established. The simplest way to avoid the possibility of conflicts is to eliminate advertising. Consumer Reports has prohibited advertising since it began publishing in 1936 - it's not something that Leff dreamed up.

Obviously there are other forms that untoward influence on food boards can take. I could quote examples but it would be against site guidelines.

#29 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:55 PM

For many years, communication between the editorial and advertising depts of The New Yorker was strictly forbidden. I think the rule was relaxed after Shawn retired.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#30 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:10 PM

I'm assuming the terms of the deal excluded restaurant advertising from the mix.

The concept of the potential conflict between advertisers and the news/reviews side of print and electronic media is well established. The simplest way to avoid the possibility of conflicts is to eliminate advertising. Consumer Reports has prohibited advertising since it began publishing in 1936 - it's not something that Leff dreamed up.

Obviously there are other forms that untoward influence on food boards can take. I could quote examples but it would be against site guidelines.

I assume that CNET wants to make a buck out of Chowhound and I can't see that happening unless they accept restaurant and other food-related ads.

This doesn't have to compromise Leff's/Chowhound's integrity nor, as you say, does it guarantee it.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson