• Please log in to reply
2008 replies to this topic

#1 restaurantgirl

restaurantgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:29 PM

I'd love everyone to check out my website: www.restaurantgirl.com. I'm just a hungry city girl searching for the perfect dish in town. Alas, aren't we all? I just reviewed Buddakan, A Voce and I'm posting dona tonight (formerly known as Bellini). It's Donatella Arpaia of (davidburke & donatella) new restaurant and it was too die for. Truly and I don't take food lightly...:P You can subscribe to the right of my website via feedblitz. I'd love it!
RestaurantGirl

#2 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,299 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:33 PM

Do you have another name on another food website?

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#3 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:35 PM

Ma-ma-ma-momma? 'Zat you, Momma?

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,343 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:19 PM

Ma-ma-ma-momma? 'Zat you, Momma?

you'll have to go to the site to find out...

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#5 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,436 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:22 PM

Welcome, restaurantgirl. Thanks for the new sig line.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#6 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,163 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:27 PM

Do you have another name on another food website?

:P :D :P

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"Sorry about your cookie." - Steve R.'s response to Jim Leff's epic rant.

#7 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:08 PM

Time Out says that Arpaia is collaborating at the restaurant called Dona with chef Michael Psilakis from Onera. That bodes well, although I haven't yet visited. The article describes a "paella soup" (basically paella with saffron broth) and a veal cannelloni with "a hearty stuffing with porcini, fontina cheese and a fragrant black truffle vinaigrette".

Has anybody else visited?

#8 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:52 PM

Funny. No link to Mouthfuls at restaurantgirl.com. :lol:
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#9 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:59 PM

Even though there are links to eGullet and Chowhound.

#10 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:03 PM

But she loves walking on the beach.

#11 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 01:14 AM

Has anybody else visited?

I went there once almost a month ago and was underwhelmed, even disappointed.

It is worth mentioning that I have eaten at Onera more than a dozen times, I enjoy the food there (obviously) and I think that Psilakis is a talented, passionate, dedicated young chef. More than a dozen times at Onera? Yes, I live nearby and after working out at the gym during the week, coming home late, considering the appalling choices the neighborhood offers for delivery, popping into Onera is a pretty good option and relatively frequent choice.

I had known for quite a while from the folks at Onera that the Dona project was underway. I was expecting that Dona would be a half-step to a full-step up in the food experience department and that it would attract a very different crowd based up Arpaia's involvement.

I didn't get the sense that the food is much, if any, better at Dona. It's more expensive at Dona. My service that night was seriously inferior to Onera. The original team at Onera was a young, food-oriented, knowledgable, slightly bohemian, but well-groomed and correctly-dressed group that gave the place a good vibe, especially for the UWS. The three Dona staff that I most interacted with gave me the impression that none of them would ever eat this type of food themselves, didn't understand it and couldn't answer any questions about it other than delivering the "pre-recorded messages" that they were trained to repeat. After 10 minutes there, it was clear that the service staff would offer zero help. I wasn't in the mood to address this problem. It actually amused me as the dinner progressed.

The food was okay to good. I started with a crudo, followed by a pasta, followed by a veal dish. Exact details escape me at this point. I never take notes. I recall thinking that the food is trying to be just a slight bit fussier at Dona, as in trying to be a bit prettier on the plate, whereas Onera's food is very tasty but leaning more towards homey/rustic than refined/haute.

My overall impression was that the food was no better than Onera at higher prices with worse service and an atmosphere that is less to my preference. Big generalization, but Dona seems like a low-end see-and-be-seen type of place, almost a DB&D-lite environment.

Giving the benefit of the doubt, Dona is relatively new and a work in progress and I would expect Psilakis to get the food right. Addressing service seems less assured.

For me, net net, I will not be traveling to Dona when Onera is a hop, skip and a jump away.

#12 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 02:48 PM

Thanks, Chambolle, and welcome.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#13 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 06:47 PM

Welcome restaurantgirl! I look forward to reading your posts here.
Gone fishing for the summer.

#14 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,163 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:16 PM

And no more Restaurantgirl at Mouthfuls either. A skyrocket in the night ...

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"Sorry about your cookie." - Steve R.'s response to Jim Leff's epic rant.

#15 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:21 PM

Never mind.
Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment