2008 replies to this topic

#1981 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

And I didn't even know what a fucking PX is/was. All I know is that Sneak is much more of one than me.

Maybe this will help explain it to you? --> http://www.pxthis.co...tch-the-teaser/

Well, a little. What I will say is that whoever was pulling that espresso in the trailer should be fired.

Marta, My Dear

Follow My Blog:  Tasty Travails

#1982 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,202 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

glad to see larry made the cut

We love Larry.

You can't copyright a title, and you can't copyright an idea. So unless AD can prove that the production actually stole her words as published in her book, she's on pretty shaky ground for any legal action.

It seems they've backed down anyway. Most likely they dropped their plans after they realized our production is more solid than they had anticipated.

Their legal ground is even shakier than ours. We would pursue legal action for the publicity/recognition alone. For them it's hardly worth the legal expense for an "as-yet-unnamed" "as-yet-unwritten" project. We actually suspect their announcement released to Variety at such a cursory stage of their project was perhaps a test of our strength and resolve.

Steve R. might be able to help.

:lol: :lol:
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#1983 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

I would like to join in this debate but I have absolutely no idea what any of you are talking about. Is there not room for more than one disgruntled ex JG employee to create artistic material based on their experiences? Why do we think these have anything to do with each other? I feel like I'm missing a key piece of information...

glad to see larry made the cut

We love Larry.

You can't copyright a title, and you can't copyright an idea. So unless AD can prove that the production actually stole her words as published in her book, she's on pretty shaky ground for any legal action.

It seems they've backed down anyway. Most likely they dropped their plans after they realized our production is more solid than they had anticipated.

Their legal ground is even shakier than ours. We would pursue legal action for the publicity/recognition alone. For them it's hardly worth the legal expense for an "as-yet-unnamed" "as-yet-unwritten" project. We actually suspect their announcement released to Variety at such a cursory stage of their project was perhaps a test of our strength and resolve.

Steve R. might be able to help.

:lol: :lol:

#1984 changeup

changeup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

I would also hope there would be room for a more recent disgruntled employee to say something. It's like major sports coaches becoming TV commentators, after a couple of years away from the sidelines they lose the relevance that made them interesting in the first place and just become commentators like everyone else. You need a fresh off the sidelines person to keep it properly interesting (assuming of course you don't find the whole thing a bore to begin with).

ETA - Although come to think of it, employees that are REALLY disgruntled now just find a lawyer, and make far more money that way than through a book.

#1985 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

ETA - Although come to think of it, employees that are REALLY disgruntled now just find a lawyer, and make far more money that way than through a book.

Abbe and Sneak may be missing the possibility of a mutually beneficial transaction here.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#1986 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,167 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

Abbe's going to have a hard time proving damages.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#1987 Inkslinger

Inkslinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

I would also hope there would be room for a more recent disgruntled employee to say something.

After PX This, all employees were made to sign confidentiality agreements. Anything "creative" in book form would have to be a roman a chef clef and that shit would be mad corny and boring.

Abbe's going to have a hard time proving damages.

Any lawsuit would only have ostensibly pursued damages, just long enough to make a nice bit of noise.

#1988 Inkslinger

Inkslinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

And I didn't even know what a fucking PX is/was. All I know is that Sneak is much more of one than me.

Maybe this will help explain it to you? --> http://www.pxthis.co...tch-the-teaser/

Well, a little. What I will say is that whoever was pulling that espresso in the trailer should be fired.

Haa, I will let her know. It was actually the actress making a coffee for herself to drink, and the lensman happened to be visually enamored of the process. The footage that ended up on the cutting room floor showed her making several attempts to get it it right, and oi what a mess she made.

#1989 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,202 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

Before this gets out of hand, would an admin kindly separate out all these non-germane posts to a new thread? It could be titled Meshugganah, for instance.
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson

#1990 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,167 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

How will we be able to tell when this gets out of hand?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#1991 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,202 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

You have a point there.

#1992 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

Haa, I will let her know. It was actually the actress making a coffee for herself to drink, and the lensman happened to be visually enamored of the process. The footage that ended up on the cutting room floor showed her making several attempts to get it it right, and oi what a mess she made.

Amateurs - ;) .

Marta, My Dear

Follow My Blog:  Tasty Travails

#1993 Inkslinger

Inkslinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

I would also hope there would be room for a more recent disgruntled employee to say something. It's like major sports coaches becoming TV commentators, after a couple of years away from the sidelines they lose the relevance that made them interesting in the first place and just become commentators like everyone else. You need a fresh off the sidelines person to keep it properly interesting (assuming of course you don't find the whole thing a bore to begin with).

Wait, on second thought, I get what you're saying but I think you're kinda a little full of it too, no offense. Presuming you currently perceive me as being "away from the sidelines" and "irrelevant" in contrast to, say, "a couple years" ago, I can tell you that if I were still 'in it' the same way two years later and still talking about the same crap, I would have to beat myself in the face with a frying pan and my keyboard.

Do you really think things have changed so much they warrant continuous play by play? Forever? How about we move forward instead, like wouldn't it be kinda fun to know what happens next?
Oh look, you can (here's a hint)--> http://www.pxthis.co...ays-joel-stein/ ["Genius" says Joel Stein, Time magazine]
(Very into teaser-trailers these days, nobody reads anymore.)

I am very happy about PX This's progression from gossip diva to entertainment producer. It's showtime! :cool:

#1994 changeup

changeup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

Oh, no offense taken, both your replies went right to the point - no more insider info to be had (employees sign confidentiality agreements now, which as a bystander/diner I didn't know), stuff from before everyone signed agreements is of no interest 8 years later, so all interested parties move onto new things and the restaurant industry comes off as a whole lot tamer than before. Makes sense given the ever increasing dollars involved.

#1995 Inkslinger

Inkslinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

Boy, you're not kidding. I finally got around to looking at the restaurant blogs, and it sure seems "tamer" all right. (I went cold turkey and stopped reading those blogs about a year or so ago, because my acupuncturist said it was messing with my chi. Haa, I know that sounds crazy, but I'm being serious.)

Actually, I think "tamer" was a rather nice euphemism on your part. I think the word I would use is "boring."

A friend of mine within the industry asked me recently "what's next" after PX Me and PX This The Series are released. She had some ideas that seemed passť and kinda tired to me. But now, I wonder...