483 replies to this topic

#391 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

Within the last few years, you've got Momofuku Ko, Atera, Torrisi, Brooklyn Fare, and now WD~50 introducing big-ticket tasting menus costing over $100. Ko, BF, and Torrisi are hits, Atera just got four stars from a notoriously stingy critic, and I am assuming Wylie did his research.

Best I can tell, the old-school four-stars (EMP, JG, LeB, DP, Daniel, Per Se) are full, or nearly so, most of the time. Add the old school to the new school, and within the space of a few years, you've got a remarkable expansion of the number of successful places with a $100 minimum entry price.

Of course, I am counting Del Posto and EMP as old school in their service style; neither breached the $100 barrier until after they got four stars, and Jean Georges surpassed that barrier only recently. The Modern is knocking on the door at $98, and somehow Gordon Ramsay is still in business at $135.

Romera would've been in the same category. What sank Romera was NOT that people were unwilling to drop that kind of coin, but that it just wasn't very good.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#392 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,251 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

Not to keep at this like a dog with a bone, but it isn't only the cost. It's the time commitment. And the amount of food you've got to eat. And the lack of choice.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#393 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

But it's not an issue at The Modern, since at The Modern you can order a la carte in the dining room (so you're not forced to eat at the bar if you're with people who aren't maniacs).

I'm talking specifically about the bar at WD-50 (which isn't a "bar room" or a "bar area" but a bar).

In the Modern Dining Room, the basic menu is a 4-course prix-fixe for $98. I don't consider that "a la carte." To me, "a la carte" has always meant a menu of dishes priced individually from which you can choose as few or as may as you want.

#394 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,251 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:39 PM

I shouldn't have said "a la carte". What I meant is, it's a fairly normal dinner (with choices as to each course) and not a multi-multi-course tasting menu (as to which you have little or no choice at all).
Bar Loser

MF Old

#395 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:45 PM

Within the last few years, you've got Momofuku Ko, Atera, Torrisi, Brooklyn Fare, and now WD~50 introducing big-ticket tasting menus costing over $100. Ko, BF, and Torrisi are hits, Atera just got four stars from a notoriously stingy critic, and I am assuming Wylie did his research.

Corton did away with the 3-course prix-fixe in favor of two tasting menu. SHO Shaun Hergatt used to have an a la carte menu but has dispensed with it and now offers only a tasting menu.

#396 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

Not to keep at this like a dog with a bone, but it isn't only the cost. It's the time commitment. And the amount of food you've got to eat. And the lack of choice.

Totally agree.

#397 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,114 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:05 PM

And desserts. Who wants that?
I never said that

#398 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:30 PM

There are obvious economic reasons to do this as well, so long as you're filling the place.

ETA: I guess it brings cost certainty even if you're not filling the place. Can be big. Isn't this the whole game for these places - if you're operating outside of a non-unionized hotel context, then you've got to keep costs way down and food costs are one of the major variable costs, no?

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#399 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:54 AM

Corton did away with the 3-course prix-fixe in favor of two tasting menu. SHO Shaun Hergatt used to have an a la carte menu but has dispensed with it and now offers only a tasting menu.

Yes, I should have included Corton, where the minimum entry price is now $115 for seven courses (plus amuses, I assume).

Hergatt offers four courses for $85, and there are multiple choices for each course, so I wouldn't put it in the same category as the others.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#400 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

The story doesn't say this -- but he sees the success of Momofuku Ko, Brooklyn Fare, and more recently Atera, and says: I'm on their level, but the media lately aren't saying so.

Yes. In the article, Chang makes the case that Dufresne is underappreciated, and I think that's true these days.

This is quite exciting. I do worry a little about them filling seats though. WD-50 is much bigger than those other three restaurants.

#401 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

I'm talking specifically about the bar at WD-50 (which isn't a "bar room" or a "bar area" but a bar).

Point of information, there are bar tables at WD-50. Whether a la carte dishes will be available at them, I don't know.

#402 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

Grubz has the new menu.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#403 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

This is appealing:

If you're eating at the bar, you can get any two items off either menu for $25, with the option to try any other dishes you want for $15 each.

Four courses $55, five courses $70.

#404 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,251 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

That's really appealing. I'm sure I'll find myself spending more time at that bar.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#405 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

Snap. Also, I often walk by early in the week, so I will be able to snatch some quiet bar time there.