59 replies to this topic

#31 Abra

Abra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:59 PM

I agree with your Momma. I think a soup or salad or a cheese course is more important than more apps, just me personally.

I don't think Kim really reads this board. Maybe someone should give her a call.
Abra

Blogging our French adventures at French Letters

#32 sparrowsfall

sparrowsfall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 08:32 PM

I sent her an email a couple of hours ago. Don't think I have her number...

Steve
"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." —Dalai Lama

#33 seawakim

seawakim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:30 PM

Hi all,
I just received a very sweet phone call letting me know that my emails are once again not getting to me.
This is unfortunately the 2nd time this has happened that people are emailing me and the emails are not getting to me even though my email address is valid, has no spam filter and I receive tons of other email there. ;)

I do read the board but not every day. In the future I will make a better effort to not keep you all waiting for an answer. :lol:

I have been informed that a salad is still needed so David and I will bring a salad on Sunday. Very likely to be a Spinach and Gorgonzola Salad.

Once again, my apologies for the communication troubles.

Lastly, I didn't see a time mentioned on the thread yet. What time are we starting this delicious celebration?

#34 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:39 AM

Me again.... :lol:. I've given it more thought and I'm going to go ahead with the soup after all. Sorry for the false alarm. ;)

I'll also pick up a couple of cheeses while I'm at the market tomorrow.

Is anyone going marketing on Sunday morning? A few nice baguettes would be good to have with the meal, no?
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#35 Not A Speck Of Cereal

Not A Speck Of Cereal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:48 AM

I'd love to come, since I always seem to miss these Sparrowsfall gatherings. However, we do have an Easter thing mid-day way the f* up north. Which unfortunately, is not a foodie event. :lol:

Can't trust those relatives in the Lake Steven's sticks to do much better than the spiral ham, so we've got's'ta bring something decent ourselves. Surely, someone will appreciated it besides us, yes?
"Hey, I'd like a nice restaurant recommendation... for me to POOP on!"

Chris
Montlake, Seattle, Earth

#36 sparrowsfall

sparrowsfall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:44 PM

Hi all,
What time are we starting this delicious celebration?

Shall we say four for five?

Arriving around four, first appetizer/soup/whatever course on the table fivish? If anyone needs (or even wants) to get here earlier to do preparation, just let me know.

Thanks,

Steve

#37 GourmetLight$

GourmetLight$

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:03 PM

Me again.... :lol:.  I've given it more thought and I'm going to go ahead with the soup after all.  Sorry for the false alarm.  ;)

Is anyone going marketing on Sunday morning?  A few nice baguettes would be good to have with the meal, no?

;) Sure, we'll pick up some baguettes on the way tomorrow. Butter too?

Cheers,
Carolyn
~~~~~

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.R.R. Tolkien

#38 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:49 PM

Me again.... :lol:.   I've given it more thought and I'm going to go ahead with the soup after all.  Sorry for the false alarm.  ;)

Is anyone going marketing on Sunday morning?  A few nice baguettes would be good to have with the meal, no?

Cheers,

Realizing that not much would be open tomorrow, I went ahead and picked up a couple of medium-sized Essential loaves, one potato and a pugliese--should probably be fine if we pop it in the oven briefly. I also got a loaf of raisin-nut for the cheese and some water crackers. Not sure if we need more or not??? I got butter too.

I'm making a creamy pea, leek and lettuce soup. I'm bringing wine to go with the soup--a south France white--can't remember the name, but the guys at Pike Place wine store thought it was great.....hope they're right.

I picked up 4 cheeses from DeLaurenti's, one of which is an Epoisse which they assured me was ripe enough....please be right!

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow!
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#39 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:50 PM

PS: Does anyone have a good bread knife they'd be willing to bring along (or do you have one, Steve? Mine sucks.
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

#40 GourmetLight$

GourmetLight$

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:09 PM

Me again.... :lol:.   I've given it more thought and I'm going to go ahead with the soup after all.  Sorry for the false alarm.  ;)

Cheers,

Realizing that not much would be open tomorrow, I went ahead and picked up a couple of medium-sized Essential loaves, one potato and a pugliese--should probably be fine if we pop it in the oven briefly. I also got a loaf of raisin-nut for the cheese and some water crackers. Not sure if we need more or not??? I got butter too.

I'm making a creamy pea, leek and lettuce soup. I'm bringing wine to go with the soup--a south France white--can't remember the name, but the guys at Pike Place wine store thought it was great.....hope they're right.

I picked up 4 cheeses from DeLaurenti's, one of which is an Epoisse which they assured me was ripe enough....please be right!

Oh Yum, everything sounds wonderful! Thanks so much for getting the bread, Jan. I was just going to stop at Central Market tomorrow on the drive to Steve's, but that would be risky if there was nothing good left.

Your description of the soup has my mouth watering. ;) We're really looking forward to a wonderful afternoon with everyone tomorrow!

Cheers,
Carolyn
~~~~~

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.R.R. Tolkien

#41 artzygirl

artzygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 12:47 AM

Okay...my final confirmation of what I'm bringing to tomorrow's International Printemps Feast...dolmas (no roasted pepper spread) and a bottle Rose (insert accent above the "e"....I never learned how to do that on a computer). If we do have a cheese course, I'd love to serve these "appies" with the cheese course. The filling is a bit sweeter than traditional dolmas.

On another note...after finishing up my dish, I was routing around on-line to check out other dolma recipes and found a site, www.dolmas.com. I clicked on it thinking it would be a whole website devoted to dolmas (which sounded amusing in and of itself) but was surprised to see it was the site of a Greek abstract painter (with beautiful work!). Once again proving that (for me at least) creating and viewing art and great food/cooking fall into the same category...necessities that feed my soul.

More importantly, looking forward to feeding my soul with great company tomorrow. Steve, thanks again for hosting. I look forward to seeing you all there.

Artzy Girl
"To live a creative life, we must lose the fear of being wrong."
Joseph Chilton Pearce

#42 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 01:39 AM

DESSERT
Kumquat Sorbet (Bill)
Medley of/riff on traditional Easter desserts from around the world. (Abra)

Bill says this one is more of a palate cleanser than a dessert :lol:
I say bring on the frozen treats and don't quibble over the details...

A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#43 Abra

Abra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 02:57 AM

To me it sounds like an awesome palate cleanser between the cheese and the dessert course.

Shaping up nicely, it all is. We'll be there a little before 4:00, because of the ferry schedule.
Abra

Blogging our French adventures at French Letters

#44 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 01:43 PM

I'm assuming we are plating? or should we bring serving dishes?

Hmm, plating matzoh & charoseth - interesting challenge (matzoh is not known for breaking into aesthetic pieces)
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#45 sparrowsfall

sparrowsfall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 07:00 PM

PS: Does anyone have a good bread knife they'd be willing to bring along (or do you have one, Steve? Mine sucks.

I have a bread knife that I like. I think I'll pick up an Essential Rustic Baugette or two at Ballard Market (the perfect store!) to sop up lamb gravy with.

Steve