252 replies to this topic

#1 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,489 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 10:01 PM

An impromptu visit this Saturday, following a long walk (must have burned about 1% of the calories in the meal ;)). At 4PM there was a very short wait without reservations.

A significantly sized order of bacon spun our waiter into a long and winding story, the essence of which was that bacon as appetizer has been spreading virally among diners - where a few years ago everyone would order tomatoes and/or shrimp cocktails, bacon now reigns supreme. The steak was very good, but far from the best we've had there. It still vanished very quickly and as always, left us promising ourselves to go back there more often.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#2 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 12:21 AM

Bacon is the perfect appetizer.

And would be the perfect barsnack. (Through deep-fried salted yuba works pretty well.)
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,449 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 01:54 PM

Summer Saturdays seem to be easier than other times of the year. When we ate there on a Saturday last August, there was no waiting, and tables were available for walk-ins.

In which ways did the stek differ from what you've had before? I wonder if this is a consequence of the alleged prime beef shortage?

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#4 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,489 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 02:21 PM

In which ways did the stek differ from what you've had before? I wonder if this is a consequence of the alleged prime beef shortage?

The tenderloin side was very good, but the strip/sirloin side was less marbled and less flavorful than it is on the average steak there. I couldn't say what the reason was, possibly just a random fluctuation.

#5 marcus

marcus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 02:27 AM

Had dinner at Luger's Friday, our second visit in about 6 months. The steak was very good, actually slightly better than last time, but still not nearly as good as recollections of past meals. I don't know whether Luger's has declined slightly, whether the quality of the steak supply has not quite come back, or whether I'm just being hit by random variation in a sample of 2. The creamed spinach which was very good last time, this time was poor. Everything else was about the same. I tried the bacon for the first time and didn't like it at all. I didn't like the flavor and I didn't like the salt load, so this item I'm crossing off permanently.

#6 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 03:51 AM

I agree about the bacon, Marcus. It's a fairly prosaic speciman, although cut thick from the slab. Of course it's a major food group for me so any port in a storm etc...and it beats some of the poorest shrimp cocktail (IMO) in existence.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#7 marcus

marcus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 04:04 AM

I agree about the bacon, Marcus. It's a fairly prosaic speciman, although cut thick from the slab. Of course it's a major food group for me so any port in a storm etc...and it beats some of the poorest shrimp cocktail (IMO) in existence.

Yes, Luger's shrimp cocktail is awful and the tomatos are like cardboard. But, I don't think that an appetizer is required, why not plunge directly into the steak and fixings, followed by a real fun hot fudge sundae. And getting to the heart of the matter and speaking of the steak, what's been your recent experience?

#8 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 04:20 AM

Nothing more recent than last August, but I've got a meal coming up. I'll let you know. I think there were three steaks for two on the table. The quality varied from OK to very good. The prime beef shortage is still in place, though not as severe as last year. As good as Luger is at securing the best beef, the fact remains that it just isn't as available as it once was. :(

People have good things to say about the Hamburger. I didn't think it was very good at all. Steak for two, in my past vists, has been the way I go. This next vist also.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#9 marcus

marcus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 03:49 PM

Nick, I will await your report with great anticipation. What about the steaks for 3 and 4, I've always wanted to try those, but haven't been able to negotiate sufficient agreement on level of doneness. I have always assumed the larger piece, the better.

#10 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 05:09 PM

For no waits at PL, you can always go at lunchtime. Instead of a PL hamburger, isn't there a great burger place just around a corner from them, & it's much cheaper?

Steve

#11 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 05:38 PM

The Luger's burger is cheap. Something like $6.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#12 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 07:47 PM

Has anybody yet been to Wolfgang's Steakhouse, also in NYC. This is the brand-new steakhouse owned by Wolfgang Zwiener, who worked as a waiter at Peter Luger for about 40 years(only fairly recently retired from PL).

Steve

#13 pixelchef

pixelchef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 08:42 PM

Steve, the general consensus (almost unanimously) is that Wolfgang's is serving crappy steak and providing even crappier service. Lots of people felt the steaks they were served weren't even aged. I phoned to clarify, and they claim they do indeed age their beef for approx. 28 days.

It just doesn't come close to Luger's, and for the same price, you leave feeling ripped off.

#14 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,489 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 09:24 PM

I didn't like the flavor and I didn't like the salt load, so this item I'm crossing off permanently.

It's the least bad appetizer by far, which still means it's better than any of the desserts (I generally don't eat dessert, but the one time I tried them at PL I felt they were exceptionally terrible). I'll think about the possibility of focusing on steak alone, but then we might need a steak for three to feed two.

edit: not to sound too negative, the steak alone is worth more trips than the 2-3 a year we've been averaging

#15 ahr

ahr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 09:56 PM

re Steak for "n": Isn't the consensus that steak for three isn't as good as steak for two, and that steak for four is just two "two"s? I imagine that for simplicity in broiling, all steaks are cut to the same thickness.

re Appetizers: How about ordering lamb chops as a shared appetizer? Back when a large chunk of prime rib (not the delicate lunch portion) was sometimes available at dinnertime, we'd order one of those as an app.

re Luger clones: I haven't been to MarkJoseph in over a year, but I remember their bacon as being MUCH better than Luger's, though the steaks were blood- and soul-less.
"To Serve Man"
-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook