252 replies to this topic

#16 marcus

marcus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 12:44 AM

it's better than any of the desserts (I generally don't eat dessert, but the one time I tried them at PL I felt they were exceptionally terrible).

Have you tried the hot fudge sundae. It's not objectively great, but it's very opulent and to me enjoyable.

#17 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,767 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 12:46 AM

Yes. I nearly drowned in it. :D
I never said that

#18 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 02:04 PM

I am waiting for some more opinions on Wolfgang's. If the guy is serving poor (or inadequately aged) steaks, he surely can't be doing so through ignorance. He may be having trouble securing a supply. An article in this week's Time Out strongly suggests that the Luger owners were unhappy to see him develop this project.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#19 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 12:26 AM

An article about Wolfgang Zwiener & his new steakhouse is in tomorrow's NY Times. Here's the link to the article http://www.nytimes.c...d=all&position=.

Steve

#20 Tuckerman

Tuckerman

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 11:34 AM

Standing out incongrously on a corner in a scrubby area of Brooklyn, this restaurant delighted my love of old fashioned traditional places that you know, if they disappeared, could not be replaced. Old fashionedness and tradition are not virtues in themselves, though. They have to have maintained high culinary standards or else what is the point?

In any case there's clearly not much danger of Peter Luger disappearing. The place was packed to the gunwhales and the wooden front room was throbbing with brash Brooklynese chatter: "What the foiking foik did you tink oi said to her after she tol' me a foiking ting like that?"

I loved this place. I loved the atmosphere and ambience. I loved the thick slabs of bacon that came as a starter. Where else would you start a steak dinner with bacon? And it was tasty and juicy and not too salty. I loved the sauce boat full of "Peter Luger's Sauce" which was NOT for the steak but for the huge slices of raw tomatoes and onions that also came as a starter

I loved the breads and the sides of crusty crisp crunchy fried potato pieces and the creamed spinach.

As for the steaks-I have to concur with the general consensus-the best. Like butter but full of flavour as well as tender. It didn't need sauce or mustard or Bernaise, it was just a pleasure to eat on its own. What was interesting was how light and easy to eat I found it and how unheavy I felt afterwards. Sometimes a surfeit of beef can leve you feeling you never want to eat again, (well for a couple of hours or so) but this meat seemed altogether easier on the system.

Mind you, not that we ate it all. Nick had ordered two steaks for two, but one for two and one for one would easily have been enough for the four of us and we've now got a doggy bag full of cold steak that I'll just have to find a window for-its a hard life.

Dessert was pretty ordinary in comparison (cheesecake) but something sweet was needed after all that bacon and beef.

The evening whizzed past, thanks largely to Nick and May Gatti, who are not only lovely people but excellent door to door chauffeurs as well Thanks a lot for a memorable evening

#21 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 04:28 PM

Let me add that the steaks were as good as they get. The beef shortages aren't as severe as they were last summer. The massive improvement in both steaks that we ordered this time was quite apparent.

We, of course, skipped the shrimp cocktail (no need to mar the meal right from the get-go). The tomatoes were surprisingly good, given the time of year, and they were massive; about five inches across. The steak sauce worked wonderfully with these and the onions.

The bacon was thick and meaty. Very good, and combined with the onions, tomatoes and sauce made for a fine starter. Tomato and onion for two and a rasher of bacon made enough of an appetizer for four people.

The porterhouses were magnificent. Not over aged, a good thickness, the right amount of tail and cooked rare to MR even with the carry-up. Great flavor. The potatoes were right on; crisp and hot and the spinach was it's usual usual (kinda just okay).

The cheesecake was just decent, the schlag better. Three bottles of inexpensive California cabs were very drinkable and went fine with the steaks. The company made it all excellent. Tony and Fahro, of course... An extremely satisfying meal.

Very very reasonably priced (I think three fifty for four, all in ), including a grand tour of the Newtown Creek factory trucking district and some of the errr..declasse areas of Greenpoint and Maspeth and LIC.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#22 pixelchef

pixelchef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 04:33 PM

God, I'm hungry. Thanks guys.

#23 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:14 PM

Glad to hear about the improvement in the meat. This augurs well for a visit soon.
They're really rockin' on Bandstand.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advocating integrated avatars and sig lines since 2006

#24 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 02:00 AM

Soon indeed.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#25 Tuckerman

Tuckerman

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 10:52 AM

We had the cold leftovers for supper last night with salads and a bottle of decent claret. Absolutely top notch meat and infinitely superior to the piece of tenderloin we'd had as part of lunch at Jean Georges earlier in the day

#26 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 11:44 AM

We had the cold leftovers for supper last night with salads and a bottle of decent claret. Absolutely top notch meat and infinitely superior to the piece of tenderloin we'd had as part of lunch at Jean Georges earlier in the day

I liked the JG tenderloin for its flavorful crust, but there is no comparison to a PL porterhouse. I love to put the leftover meaty bone in a broiler for a couple of minutes. All the flavor returns.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#27 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 05:09 PM

Four of us had a magnificent meal at Lugers the other night.

Bacon--yes maybe there is a God
Creamed Spinach
German Potatoes
Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing

I always get my steak medium rare and feel a pang of guilt for not going rare. We decided to conduct an experiment of
Porterhouse for two -- rare
Porterhouse for two -- medium rare

Medium rare won hands down for me. Can't beat that char.

For dessert we got the cheesecake and the "holy cow" sundae. I see that some people think the desserts are mediocre but I don't think so AT ALL. I had never even seen/considered the sundae but we saw a group get one and I immediately had to have it. Loved it, especially with the glut of hot fudge and crispy crunchy pieces of toffee (?).

I lucked out and got the med rare leftovers which made for my Veteran's Day lunch. Dare I say that the leftovers are even better than the main event??
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#28 scamhi

scamhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 07:14 PM

Four of us had a magnificent meal at Lugers the other night.

Did you use your PL credit card? :D

#29 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 07:38 PM

Want to guess?
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#30 scamhi

scamhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 10:51 PM

yes?