4961 replies to this topic

#2536 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

The Yankees had a dreadful staff at the beginning of the 2011 season, and pulled Colon and Garcia out of a hat. The rotation certainly needs a rethink, but maybe Pettitte and Phelps can work some magic.

Well Garcia did hit 89mph with his fastball last night - that's 4mph higher than anytime this year. Hope he has another hat. :lol:

#2537 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,699 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:33 PM

I think last March I was saying - Sabathia, Burnett, Hughes, and, er... well...

#2538 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,699 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

Let me just be the voice of reason here.

Of course David Wright is better value than A-Rod purely as a player, because he costs half as much and is better than half as good.

My humble contention is that the differential in pay is attributable in part, not to what A-Rod does on the field, but to who he is. And while it might be hard to quantify the impact his presence has on maintaining ticket sales and boosting TV viewership and sponsorship, he does get a huge amount of media attention, and the Yankees are doing very well.

It's easy to see why David Wright appeals to marketers as a brand ambassador. I can see why he appeals more than A-Rod. But in terms of marketing the Mets brand, neither he - nor the other players - have evidently been very successful. One wonders what a few more seasons of Reyes might have done: remember, he was pulling fans even though the team was losing (it's about winning, but not solely about winning).

#2539 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:24 AM

Do I have a link showing how the YES network benefited from A-Rod's run-up to 600 homers? No. I don't really need one.

Oh. right. Just feelings.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#2540 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,235 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:43 AM

So, what's the outlook for Mariano Rivera?

The NYT reports that he "twisted his knee" in Kansas City, and is undergoing tests. This could be a significant development for the Yankees.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2541 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:07 AM

ACL. Ouch.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#2542 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,699 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

And torn meniscus. Unbelievable as it is, this could be the end.

The irony - he has been nagging Joe Girardi about his one remaining ambition being to play center field in a game; Girardi kept putting him off because he was worried something like this must happen.

A general sense of disbelief this morning. So glad I stayed through the cold evening to see him pitch a perfect ninth inning last Friday night.

Perhaps this means we will never see him in decline.

Posted Image

#2543 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

He's the best of the best. What a loss.

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#2544 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

Truly hope he does not attempt a comeback next year. A weak broken bat groundout double play ball preserving a 1-run victory (his last pitch Monday) is the way I want to remember him.

To see him struggle next season would be unbearable.

Ironically, I was at the friends and family opening of Siro's last night, which is half-owned by Mariano. That's the the NYC branch of the famous Saratoga restaurant. When we left, I tuned in the game on radio and heard about the injury.

It feels like a death in the family - Say It Ain't So, Mo. :(

#2545 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,699 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

"I'm good, I'm here, I'm laughing." Mariano picks himself up. Can you come back?

"Yeah. Why not?"

The man.

#2546 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,699 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

Looks like we were right to say goodbye to A.J..

#2547 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:26 AM

Back on April 30th I promised I was going to lay off posting the Lex-O-Matic numbers for a couple of weeks. Time's up.

Posted Image

Aside from putting up very good RBI numbers David Wright is continuing to hit a ton. His .402 average is tied with Josh Hamilton for the best in major league baseball.

#2548 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,699 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

Turning the question around, if Wright is as good a player as A-Rod and as marketable, we should expect to see him get well over $20m next year, his contract being up with the Mets (they have a $16m option).

Want to bet on that? :cool:

Looks like the Mets are getting ready to nickel and dime him. $100 million over six years would be less than $17 million per. click

#2549 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:26 AM

Aside from poaching the odd line from Wilf, the NY Times seems to be following my Lex-O-Matic stats keenly.

The Power Is Gone From Rodriguez’s Numbers
By ED MARKS

Nearly a quarter of the way into the season the Yankees’ most pressing problem is pitching.
Among the starters, C.C. Sabathia (3.77) is the only one with an earned run average under 4.00,
and Hiroki Kuroda (4.50) is the only other starter south of 5.44. And of course the bullpen is a
mess with Mariano Rivera almost certainly gone for the year and David Robertson on the
disabled list as well.

Given the pitching woes, it is more important than ever for the offense to produce, as Manager
Joe Girardi has noted. But if you are looking for help from the No. 5 home run hitter of all time,
do not hold your breath waiting for John Sterling to call an A-bomb from A-Rod. You can see it
on the field, and the numbers back it up: Alex Rodriguez is in a steep power decline.

From the time he broke in as a major leaguer in 1994 through the 2007 season, Rodriguez
averaged one home run for every 14.2 at-bats, good enough to make the career top 10 list in that
category. But since 2008 he has been merely a good power hitter, not a great one, and the
dropoff since the start of last season has been startling.

Maybe age is a factor — he turns 37 in July. Or maybe it is his right hip. In March 2009, when
the Yankees found that Rodriguez had a labrum tear in the hip, Tyler Kepner reported:

Brian “Cashman said the Yankees discovered an irregularity in Rodriguez’s hip last
May when he underwent a magnetic resonance imaging exam for a right quadriceps
injury. By June or July, the hitting coach Kevin Long said he could notice subtle
changes in Rodriguez’s hitting, notably in his right foot — the back one in his stance.
“The foot was not pivoting fully, Long said, and as a result, Rodriguez could not
completely turn his waist and clear his hips. This caused his bat to drag and
prevented him from driving through the ball and generating maximum power.”

Since the start of the 2008 season, when that hip “irregularity” was detected, Rodriguez has
been averaging one home run for every 17.1 at-bats. His 1994-to-2007 average translated to 42.3
home runs for a 600 at-bat season; his average since then yields 35.1 home runs per 600
at-bats, a decline of 17 percent. He hit 35 homers in 2008, and 30 in 2009 and 2010. In his first
four seasons with the Yankees he averaged 43.3.

And it’s getting worse. Much worse. Last season he averaged one home run for every 23.3
at-bats; so far this year, with a total of five home runs in the Yankees’ first 37 games (two fewer
than Raul Ibanez), he is averaging one for every 27.2 at-bats — a rate that would give him 22
homers if he has 600 at-bats this season.

And he ranks only eighth on the team in slugging percentage (.412); even Eric Chavez (.523)
and Andruw Jones (.472) are ahead of him.

If you think that sounds ominous, consider this: After this season there are still five more years
left on his contract. Five more years. If his current trend continues, Rodriguez might finish that
contract as the best-paid player ever to appear in an Old-Timers’ Game.

#2550 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,699 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

This is why I didn't take your bet. Don't expect me to argue. Note, though, that his power figures were consistently better than Wright's up to last year.