279 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 01:09 PM

I think that's the name of the restaurant, anyway - I'll correct the title if it isn't. Whether or not you find the raw food concept intriguing, it's at least nice to see the old Verbena space being put to use, especially the garden. :)
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#2 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 01:43 PM

Pure Food and Wine.
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

#3 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 01:45 PM

I wonder if they'll only be serving biodynamic / organic wines...
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#4 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 01:46 PM

Thanks Jin, that makes more sense.

Counter serves a lot of organic wines, so I'd be surprised if they don't. I'm going to try for a table, if only to sit out in that cute little garden again.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#5 Chocolate is a girls best friend

Chocolate is a girls best friend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 07:22 PM

I m made a res. for Sunday,I ll be sure to report back
"One can live without artists, and can live without books

but civilized man can not live without cooks," anonymous

#6 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 07:45 PM

I'm going next week. I just noticed Chodorow's an investor.
Elect-a-lujah

#7 S.C.S.

S.C.S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:49 PM

emphasis on bio/organic wines, yes. open tomorrow. The Bar Demi space (sniffle sniffle) will be used for takeout & some "retail" in 2 weeks.

#8 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 11:43 PM

Sniffle,sniffle,indeed...Pure foods sounds nice now....call me in January,when nothing local is in season,and the garden is closed...and see how they're doin.'
G*d is in the details...

#9 Chocolate is a girls best friend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 03:08 PM

Sniffle,sniffle,indeed...Pure foods sounds nice now....call me in January,when nothing local is in season,and the garden is closed...and see how they're doin.'

honey, there are other cities and other countries that still have fresh produce, there is a WHOLE BIG WORLD outside of NY

#10 bonitobroth

bonitobroth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 05:54 PM

So how was it?
"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

#11 Chocolate is a girls best friend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 06:08 PM

So how was it?

going wednesday instead, I will report back, though my friend may cancel on me, but i hope to go this week at some point,,,,,,,,,,i will at least stop by to see the space!

#12 Chocolate is a girls best friend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 05:02 PM

I had the most incredible dinner at Pure Food and Wines last night. Firstly, I was blown away by the transformation of the place. The walls are a dark wood mixed up with a burnt orange color which go beautifully with the deep red chairs, dark wood tables and oatmeal colored burlap(?) banquettes. They sorta itched by butt through my dress, maybe my dress was to thin? but somethig to remember,,,,,,

There were small votives on each table and 3 photos of a duck on the northern wall. I happened to like the duck photos, he/she was placed in front of a blue painted door, which added a nice touch of color to the already red tones in the room. One showed it quacking, one just standing and another leaning. Ah and I used to really like to eat duck,,, oh well.

The garden in the back is bigger than the actual restaurant, or at least it looked that way.

Upon sitting, I was given a little bowl of olive oil with sea salt and some veggies. I had never seen purple cauliflower before, and it was quite lovely and tasted great. Apparently the veggies, including sea bean, cucumber and white and purple cucumber had been in a dehydrater or bring out the flavors and colors. I was a little confused though bc they were still crisp and fresh not dried, as I would think that dehydrated food would be.

Nonetheless the menu was very exciting too. Every dish was a mix of fresh flavors, great spices and colorful pairing. I was going between the ginger and carrot soup with micro cilantro and avocado-lime oil and the Summer rolls. I opted for the summer rolls but I told the waiter that I write on a food board and would it be possible if I could try a shot or a small cup of the soup and the kitchen obliged.

All of the food presented to me looked like art work. The colors were vibrant and fresh, they looked like they had just been plucked from wherever they grew.

The rolls were delicious, they came out sprinkled with black sesame seeds,inside there was julienned papaya, radishes, sunflower sprouts,avocado and carrot. the dip was a coconut-chili sauce. I am a total baby when it comes to spices, but this one had the perfect kick without me having to drink a glass of water.

The carrot-gigner soup was really nice as well. It was very refreshing served cold, but not too cold. There was more of a carrot flavor but still the ginger flavor was dectectable but not too overpowering.

My entree was the zuchhini-green sebra lasagna. This was one of the most beautiful entrees i ve been served in a while. Fresh bright red tomatos graced the top of the square "lasagna". The ingrediants included a rich tomato sauce, basil pistachio pesto, marinated wild mushrooms and pine nut ricotta. It was just so incredible, I ve never tasted more ripe tomatoes in my life. The pesto and sundried tomato layers were full of spices and flavors that could make someone never want to eat meat again, ( though that s not their intention) The pine nut ricotta was delicious too and did taste cheesey, remarkably enough,,,,,,,,,,

For dessert i had a dark chocolate chip cookie with pisatchio and chocolate icceram made from coconut milk. The icecream was great but the cookie could ve been better, it was a little too chewy for my taste,,,,,,, they had a strawberry and honey ginger parfait which I ll try next time

Overall, it was a wonderful experience. Anyone who likes great , high quality food will love this place. You leave full but refreshed in a way, knowing htat you only ate really healthy food, but its so full of flavor that you wonder why all other vegan places are so bad!

Request the garden, it fills up quickly! and they also played some of my favorite bands, which is always a good sign.

Lauren

#13 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 05:13 PM

Great report. I'm really looking forward to this meal. Did you notice if there was a tasting menu?
Elect-a-lujah

#14 Chocolate is a girls best friend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 05:17 PM

Great report. I'm really looking forward to this meal. Did you notice if there was a tasting menu?

I did not see a tasting menu, nope,maybe one to come? W, it was just so good, i d go back with you whever you want and the prices are reasonable, most expensive entree was $23,,,, aps are about 8- $12 desserts $7,,,,, i m not a big drinking but they had some nice wines by the glass too

#15 pixelchef

pixelchef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 08:16 PM

Sounds absolutely lovely. Perfectly summer.