148 replies to this topic

#1 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:11 AM

I looked for a thread on brunch in Seattle, but could not find one.

What are your top spots for Brunch or Breakfast in Seattle?

Any thoughts on the Salty's Seafood brunch? Has anyone been?

#2 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:57 AM

I personally am not a fan of Salty's- the view is great but the food, UGH!

I love Cafe Campagne and also Maximillen in the Market

I also love 35th St Bistro in Freemont

I want to try Volterra's brunch

And my fav breakfast is just at good ole Cafe Besalu :blush:
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#3 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 01:45 AM

You probably know what I'm going to say, but....

Brasserie Margaux has very good breakfast/brunch, seems like they keep changing their minds about whether they're doing buffet or a la carte, but both are good.

I love Maximilien for brunch, although my last visit wasn't up to snuff.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#4 dandelion

dandelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:51 AM

I had brunch a Volterra a couple of months ago, and it was terrible. Not what I expected at all. Cold food, "hollandaise" that was basically melted butter, poor presentation (it looked rushed); an overall disappointment.

#5 schielke

schielke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:40 PM

I love brunch! My wife and I have some favorite haunts:

-Madison Park Cafe- Baked ham, eggs, and cheese with a raspberry scone is the stuff of champioins.

-35th st bistro- Fantastic breakfast and rarely a wait.

-Crave- Very nice stuff here

-Coastal Kitchen (or other chow foods places)- always solid, nice scrambles, coffee cake, etc. Very busy though.

-Le Pichet- small menu, but if you are in a chocolate mood, you can overdose on the european style hot chocolate

-Cafe Campagne- One of their egg dishes comes with frites and has foie drippings...nuff said.

-Glo's- A really great little diner style brunch place. Very good bennedict.

That is all I can remember for now.

Ben

#6 christy

christy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:01 AM

Salty's is mediocre-it's typical buffet quality.

Persimmon can be very good. I had the best omelet I'd ever had in a Seattle restaurant there on one visit (it was never done quite as well on other visits). Service can be very slow-it's a small place with few staff. I went there regularly for a while until I got tired of trying to be there right at 10, when they open, to avoid have to wait ages for my food. But if you haven't been it's definitely worth trying.

Maximllen is a nice overall experience-the food's good, and the view is great.

I am very burnt out on breakfast out these days. There's almost nothing I'd order out I can't make better at home (well, the Campagne egg dish sounds like an exception!), and then I don't have to wait in line for it. One of these days I'll have to try the 35th St, though, since I like them very much for dinner, they have outdoor seating and I'm encouraged by the rarely a wait comment!

#7 artzygirl

artzygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 06:12 AM

I hear that El Greco on Capital Hill is a well kept secret for breakfast/brunch. Last time I was there, we had a great meal (risotto) on a Tuesday night when their bottles of wine are half price....and they have great art on the walls. :P
"To live a creative life, we must lose the fear of being wrong."
Joseph Chilton Pearce

#8 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 06:40 PM

There's a great book called Breakfast in Seattle, that I have that lists just about every place that serves breakfast in the greater Seattle area. It's a few years out of date but still pretty good.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#9 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:22 PM

Geraldine's in Columbia City.
Lola's

#10 Fay Jai

Fay Jai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 03:31 AM

It's sad that St. Clouds no longer jumps to the front of anyones mind...including mine...

Peso's take on CFS looks interesting, but, well, haven't tried it, so it might not be so good.

To echo tighe above, you probably know what I'm gonna say...The Dish in Frellard. I love that place.

~Jason
www.bloatitup.com

#11 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,944 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:06 PM

I took St. Clouds off the list after Scorched Palate had one too many bad experiences there. Maybe someone (?) needs to go back and see if they've improved.

I had my first breakfast at Geraldine's Counter a couple of weeks ago. The CFS was the best I've had (so far) in Seattle. But the service was terrible! I mean, comically so!

I'm intrigued by breakfast at Peso's. That's next on the list.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#12 christy

christy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:25 PM

I had a fantastic brunch at 35th St. Bistro today. I ignored the breakfast-y stuff for the already mentioned I'm-sick-of-breakfast reason, but the lunch items all looked great-it was VERY hard to choose. I had the best BLT (with avocado) I'd had in ages. My friend's polenta with Italian sausage, fried eggs and mozzerella, and our dessert-balsemic strawberries with mascarpone and puff pastry-were very good, too. I sort of regretted that I hadn't asked about the fish special because I overheard later it was rainbow trout, which I've had there for dinner. Everything is very reasonably priced and the place was never full (though the patio was).

#13 Della

Della

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:40 PM

LMF and I have had the CFS at Peso's before - it has been a couple of years but if I remember correctly we liked it. I have always like the CFS at Queen Anne cafe on top of Queen Anne.
I used to go to the Mecca every Sunday for breakfast for about a year and was addicted to their corned beef hash with poached eggs and toast with freezer jam.

#14 syrah girl

syrah girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:46 PM

We have only had dinner at Salty's, but loved it! The views from the back patio are amazing and they serve some pretty darn good coconut prawns there! I have heard great things about the brunch and would not hesitate to try it when we're in Seattle next time! :P

#15 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:40 AM

We have only had dinner at Salty's, but loved it! The views from the back patio are amazing and they serve some pretty darn good coconut prawns there! I have heard great things about the brunch and would not hesitate to try it when we're in Seattle next time! :P

no offense, but this is the exact reason why I hate Salty's!!! any place that still serves coconut prawns is stuck in the 80's IMHO. There, I said it! that is my snotty food side.....no coconut prawns and you pay for views with frozen 80 style food. Blah! :P So many better places that don't cater to the tourist "I need my seafood overcooked and flavored with sweet crap" crowd.

:P
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag