1077 replies to this topic

#1 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:26 PM

After two Win2k reinstalls in as many days (the result of a winnt/config/system corruption), I'm going to throw in the wintel towel.

Christ on horseback! Even the servicepak 2 download and install resulted in a hung system. Too many four hours of sleep nights as I get the damned thing up and running.

My data is all there but my programs are gone and without the damned OEM disks I'm almost shit outta luck. The saving grace is that I was able to cobble together enough distant memory knowledge to actually get the damned thing kinda sorta up and running and to get myself back on-line.

I'm getting a Mac. Really. No shit.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#2 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:27 PM

Okay, so I have a favor to ask.

Would you please post a lot, in detail, about the purchase and the transition?

Because at some point this is going to be in my future, I think.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#3 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,443 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:38 PM

Ditto.

Hush, hush.  Keep it down now.

#4 magsgundah

magsgundah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:43 PM

I love my Mac; I think you'll be very happy.

As far as the purchase, the only downside is that it was $$$. Other than that, it really was, take it out of the box, hook it up, run Software Update in System Preferences, plug in the peripherals, wait until it installs everything itself, and go.

I don't know anything about the new Macs, though. I'm interested in the dual platform thingie going on...

#5 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:46 PM

Welcome to the Bright Side, Mr. Gatti.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#6 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:50 PM

If you already have a decent monitor, keyboard and mouse, the Mini at $599 could be pretty painless. And it's hard to put a price on putting an end to the hassle of Wintel.

Good luck, Nick.

#7 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:52 PM

I bought my imac G5 almost 2 years ago when the first came out. I love it. Took it out of the box, plugged it in and it was running. I did a major upgrade a few months ago; inserted disc and away it went. I don't regret it at all.

The dual platforms are great if you need a computer with a shitload of power. I had a Dual G4 when I was creating 27/28 patient DVD's every day. So, for graphics, film editing, music, website work, they are definitely handy, otherwise, I think a good G5 is all you really need.

#8 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:53 PM

I love my Mac; I think you'll be very happy.

As far as the purchase, the only downside is that it was $$$. Other than that, it really was, take it out of the box, hook it up, run Software Update in System Preferences, plug in the peripherals, wait until it installs everything itself, and go.

I don't know anything about the new Macs, though. I'm interested in the dual platform thingie going on...

The IMac g5 with the 21 inch monitor. Looks good at about 2000 bucks. Less than what I would pay for a Dell gaming machine. I'll need to add MS Office for Mac.

I'm getting FIOS installed today, otherwise I'd let the damn thing die and get the computer at my leisure. But i had to get the thing up and running in a reasonable way with a recognized working NIC card.
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#9 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:56 PM

But what about my current hard drive? All my email history, all my documents, all my photos?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#10 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:56 PM

The IMac g5 with the 21 inch monitor.

That's the machine I use in my office. You'll love it.

#11 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:59 PM

But what about my current hard drive? All my email history, all my documents, all my photos?

My computer still works. I'll archive my docs to cds and any time I really need those docs and files, I'll just turn the wintel machine on. The MS Word/Office docs should be easily convertible to Mac Word/Office. Right?
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#12 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:03 PM

Nick, that's the one I have too...Love IT!! You're going to love using it. Plus it takes up so little space.

Omni, there are programs that you can use to export all of your emails and address books to the Entourage system (Outlook for a Mac). Moosh's husband did this recently when he bought his Mac. Now, most files are compatible with the Mac platform. All Word Docs, Excel, PPT, etc, will work on a Mac without converting them (which used to be the case). I take my files home from work (a PC), work on them on myi Mac, and then back to the PC, without any problems.

#13 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,448 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:14 PM

copy them over?

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#14 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:21 PM

I believe it's possible to do a direct data transfer over a USB cable.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#15 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:30 PM

Sure...but I'm talking about a fantasy where for example my email history populates my new email program, with all my folders in tact, etc.