1089 replies to this topic

#991 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

On a separate note -- for a while, whenever my iPhone was near my laptop and iTunes was open, the iPhone synced automatically and I never had to plug it in. This stopped. Does anyone know what the setting is to get this going again?

Flowers & a nice dinner?

Probably different but you should be able to sync everything via iCloud.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#992 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,985 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

On a separate note -- for a while, whenever my iPhone was near my laptop and iTunes was open, the iPhone synced automatically and I never had to plug it in. This stopped. Does anyone know what the setting is to get this going again?

Flowers & a nice dinner?

Hmm. Usually I just tell Siri she's utterly worthless. She apologizes, but still doesn't listen.

#993 TheMatt

TheMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

Maybe you had wi-fi syncing turned on, but now you don't? Or maybe you need to troubleshoot it?
Dr TheMatt
Certified Nerd and Oh So Boring...

#994 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,985 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

Thanks. Now, my iPhone automatically appears in iTunes and the little spinner goes -- but the playlists that I've checked to sync don't update. I'll try this troubleshooting.

#995 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,441 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:32 AM

this might be interesting

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#996 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,253 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

Bought an iMac 2 weeks ago. How do you work this thing? As someone who started with IBM's products from the days of DOS and PCTools, I foresee that my one year of purchased "one to one" classes will come in very handy. However, based on what I've picked up so far, this is fun. I can see that this will be very easy once I learn which swipes of the mouse replace which buttons.

This space available… contact owner.

#997 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

Based on data collected, Orbitz steers Mac users to more expensive hotel choices.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#998 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,985 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:24 PM

Bought an iMac 2 weeks ago. How do you work this thing? As someone who started with IBM's products from the days of DOS and PCTools, I foresee that my one year of purchased "one to one" classes will come in very handy. However, based on what I've picked up so far, this is fun. I can see that this will be very easy once I learn which swipes of the mouse replace which buttons.

Once you set your swiping to the way you want it, it's pretty much the same as a PC. Except the "close" button is up on the left instead of up on the right.

#999 Anónimo

Anónimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

Once you set your swiping to the way you want it, it's pretty much the same as a PC. Except the "close" button is up on the left instead of up on the right.

I've been using a new MacBook Air since Monday. I love the concept of swiping, but I get more accurate results with a mouse. The problem with the swiping is that I have often back paged on a website when I didn't intend to. On a few occasions, I've found myself at Dashboard when I didn't expect it.

But in all, it's been great fun. I'm not happy with QuickTime Player, which seems dumbed down and has no Preferences.
Buen provecho,
Anónimo

Tzintzuntzan, Michoacán, México

#1000 TheMatt

TheMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:47 AM

But in all, it's been great fun. I'm not happy with QuickTime Player, which seems dumbed down and has no Preferences.

Yeah, I pretty much use VLC for all my video needs on my Air. QuickTime is just too simplistic.
Dr TheMatt

#1001 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,454 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:49 PM

My PC is dying (right before my eyes: a sad sight).

I just ordered one of the new iMacs to replace it. I'm in that state of consumer frenzy we all know as I await its delivery next month.

So here's my question. It's about transfer/migration of files from my current PC to my new Mac.

I'm thinking I don't have to transfer ANYTHING.

I don't have any photos stored on my computer.

The documents I have stored, I don't need.

I use only web-based email providers, so as far as I know I have nothing relating to email stored on my computer.

My iTunes library got fucked up as part of my computer's death throes. One reason I put off getting a new computer is that it would have been tedious to fix it so that I could transfer it. Among the many problems is that it's too big for my current hard drive, so only part of it's on my computer hard drive, and the rest is on an external (that isn't compatible with Macs). (There are other problems: it's fucked.)

BUT, my new Mac's hard drive is more than large enough to accommodate my entire iTunes library. So I figure I can open a new empty library on the new computer, and get one of those apps (or whatever you call them) that allow you to transfer content from your iPod into iTunes (which iTunes itself should let you do, but doesn't cuz Apple are greedy fascists).

Given all the above, it seems to me that I don't have to migrate/transfer ANYTHING from my old PC to my new Mac.

Am I missing, or misunderstanding, anything?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#1002 TheMatt

TheMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

Yeah, you probably don't need to. If you do, you can just get the Migration Assistant from Apple to do it. If it isn't much, put what you need on Dropbox or whatever and then get it back later.

That said, I am surprised you say you have an external drive that isn't compatible with Macs. Is it using a weird filesystem?
Dr TheMatt

#1003 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

That said, I am surprised you say you have an external drive that isn't compatible with Macs. Is it using a weird filesystem?

That caught my eye as well. If you can access it from a PC you should be able to get it from the Mac.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#1004 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,441 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

this reminds me, that i have to figure out where to store my music since i am getting a new time capsule soon. mine is just about full and recently i'm storing more photos and i have a sonos stereo system. i think i'm fine with just letting my photos back up in the regular course of things onto the time capsule, but not sure i want to continue to store music for the music system on my new time capsule. store it on an NAS drive or time capsule? that is the question.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#1005 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,454 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:39 AM

I was told by someone at Apple that many external hard drive manufacturers did not start making them compatible with OS X until 2009 or 2010. Web research confirmed that the manufacturer of my external hard drive is one of them (as luck would have it, I bought one of the last series they made that weren't OS X compatible).
Bar Loser

MF Old