154 replies to this topic

#1 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,235 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:21 PM

With so many tomato-crazies on this site, how do we not have a tomato season thread?

Last night in a fit of insantity, I decided to make "preserved tomatoes."

I blame Martha Stewart.

Let's use this thread to say what we're doing with them.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#2 galleygirl

galleygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:40 PM

Tabouli. Lots of tabouli. It's all I feel like eating, in the heat. Wrapped in pita, with feta. And tahini...
Bistrodraw Illustration

Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?

#3 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:42 PM

With so many tomato-crazies on this site, how do we not have a tomato season thread?

I blame Martha Stewart.

That looks fantastic. How will you use the preserved tomatoes?

One of my favorite uses for my oven-dried tomatoes is in an omelet with goat cheese and smoked trout.

#4 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,235 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:47 PM

I blame Martha Stewart.

That looks fantastic. How will you use the preserved tomatoes?

One of my favorite uses for my oven-dried tomatoes is in an omelet with goat cheese and smoked trout.

I haven't been able to try them yet because you have to let them sit in the fridge for 24 hours but I think that I'm just going to go simple. On top of eggs, on pasta...

#5 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,235 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:47 PM

Fattoush. Soup made with slow-roasted tomatoes and garlic is awesome. Gazpacho of course. Last summer I made tomato granita and loved it, so now that I have an ice cream maker I think I'll try tomato sorbet. Tomatoes peeled and chopped and mixed with chopped garlic, shredded basil, salt and olive oil is delicious tossed with linguine and eaten slightly warm or at room temperature. You can add hot pepper to this but then it is not as delicate or tomato-y. Bruschetta: just garlic-rubbed, olive-oil drizzled grilled bread topped with chopped tomato and a little basil. My favorite is probably a tomato sandwich made with nothing but tomato, salt and good white bread. Nothing else needed. And of course tomato and mozzarella--a marriage made in heaven.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#6 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:52 PM

I haven't been able to try them yet because you have to let them sit in the fridge for 24 hours

I admire your restraint. :P

#7 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,235 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:00 PM

Soup made with slow-roasted tomatoes and garlic is awesome.

That's what I'll be doing with some of my tomatoes from last night.

#8 Vital Information

Vital Information

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:09 PM

BLTs. Today was the third time since real tomatoes arrived

or

Dice with feta, cucumber and jalepeno

or

With fresh mozzerella

The farmer who supplies my CSA planted a bunch of tomatoes in her hoop houses, and I totally appreciated the head start on the season.

PS
A few weeks ago, I got (finally) Fergus Henderson's book. In most of his salads, he recommends roasting the tomatoes a bit. Because our kitchen is not air conditioned, I cannot imagine doing this, but regardless, as my uses show above, I am especially happy doing nothing to 'em.
Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie

Just as long as you leave my "Alinea II: Electric Boogaloo" thing alone. - jinmyo

The Local Beet

#9 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:25 PM

The cover of the current issue of Fine Cooking mentions an article on "12 new ideas for tomatoes." When my husband saw this, he said, "Oh good! I've been wondering what else they were good for, besides eating and throwing at people." :P

Fly
I used to be eye candy but now Im more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

Your father is going deaf. I cant hear a word he says!
My mom

I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#10 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,235 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:53 PM

Because I only have cherry tomatoes so far (Sun Golds), I limit myself to standing in the garden and feeding on the tomatoes as I pluck them from the vine. Shortly, there will be enough of these that I won't feel bad about using them for something else, like pasta with uncooked tomato sauce. Once the big tomatoes start to come, I'll be hoarding as many as I can for making Tomato Jam (business comes first, right?). I'll have to fight my husband for them, though. This time of year, his favorite breakfast is a bowl of chunked-up tomatoes tossed with olive oil and salt and pepper (and maybe a little sliced onion) something he learned from his father.

#11 Pingarina

Pingarina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:03 PM

Mmmm. I second all of these. I love pasta with raw tomatoes/basil/garlic. I just bought some Cretan rusks at International Foods on Ninth to make panzanella. I have gazpacho in the fridge and had to go get me a cup when I saw this thread!

By the way, I can not say 'gazpacho' without thinking of Rossy dePalma in Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, opening the refrigerator, saying"...mmm, gathpacho!"
loser magnet

#12 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:12 PM

So far my favorite is to take 5 or six varieties of heirloom and small tomatoes and cut them into small pieces, mix in large dice sweet onion, gorgonzola cheese and evoo, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. Makes a great salad. Next favorite is simple: large rounds of big tomatoes with sea salt and circles of red onion on french bread toasted.

For some reason, I do not like cooked/roasted tomatoes.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#13 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:13 PM

PS
A few weeks ago, I got (finally) Fergus Henderson's book. In most of his salads, he recommends roasting the tomatoes a bit. Because our kitchen is not air conditioned, I cannot imagine doing this, but regardless, as my uses show above, I am especially happy doing nothing to 'em.

Rob, I got a Cuisinart convection-toaster oven that lets me cook all summer long. It's changed my life. The kitchen doesn't get hot.

#14 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:14 PM

This time of year, his favorite breakfast is a bowl of chunked-up tomatoes tossed with olive oil and salt and pepper (and maybe a little sliced onion) something he learned from his father.

A man after my own heart. :P
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#15 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,822 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:26 PM

i recommend very strongly marcella hazan's garlic scented tomatoes. crush a lot of garlic and let steep in balsamic with salt for at least 15 minutes. peel and slice tomatoes, strain the garlicky vinegar on top (i don't bother straining) and top with torn basil and cracked pepper.

bengali tomato chatni (a dessert kind of thing) is also easy to make and excellent to boot.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current recipe: indian home cooking 7: chapatis and parathas

current restaurant review: back to bangkok thai deli

current whisky review: springbank 12 cask strength, batch 7

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson