154 replies to this topic

#151 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

I should maybe post this in the gardening thread but here goes...

I've always caged my tomatoes, but thought to try staking instead this year. Anybody wanna buy 16 gently-used galvanized steel square tomato cages? I've never had such insanely healthy and productive plants. I was worried that removing the suckers would limit production (due to fewer potential flower bracts). Instead, the bracts are dizzyingly multi-branched with impossible numbers of fruit. I just counted one of the 3-branched bracts on a SunGold cherry tomato plant: there are nearly 70 flowers and nascent fruit, and the thing is still developing. The plant itself has topped its 5-foot stake. And so far NO yellowing or otherwise blighted leaves. Of course, no ripe tomatoes yet, either, but when they start coming it's going to be a deluge.

Great, I'm going to cry. So how exactly are you staking the tomatoes? I of course have cages. I've also been removing suckers but have not seen the kind of growth that you are.

p.s. It's officially BLT season.

I'm so sorry. I was trying to make Dr. Jones cry.

I drove a 6-ft stake next to each plant, and I've been loosely tying the main stem every foot or so as they grow. The real beauty of the system is the improved air circulation around the plants, which is preventing fungal growth on the leaves. I keep meaning to take/post pictures.

PS Should we ask an Admin to move this to the Gardening thread?

#152 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,448 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:55 PM

half my tomatoes are not in cages this year. and all the ones that are are thriving as well: the sungold and riesentraube are past 7ft in height, and the brandywine is approaching 6ft. the brandywine has begun to set fruit like a mofo too.

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#153 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:03 AM

I should maybe post this in the gardening thread but here goes...

I've always caged my tomatoes, but thought to try staking instead this year. Anybody wanna buy 16 gently-used galvanized steel square tomato cages? I've never had such insanely healthy and productive plants. I was worried that removing the suckers would limit production (due to fewer potential flower bracts). Instead, the bracts are dizzyingly multi-branched with impossible numbers of fruit. I just counted one of the 3-branched bracts on a SunGold cherry tomato plant: there are nearly 70 flowers and nascent fruit, and the thing is still developing. The plant itself has topped its 5-foot stake. And so far NO yellowing or otherwise blighted leaves. Of course, no ripe tomatoes yet, either, but when they start coming it's going to be a deluge.

Great, I'm going to cry. So how exactly are you staking the tomatoes? I of course have cages. I've also been removing suckers but have not seen the kind of growth that you are.

p.s. It's officially BLT season.

I ditched the cages years ago. I currently have a nice stand of bamboo, so a never ending supply of stakes. I put them in at the same time as I plant tomatoes, if I remember. As the plants grow, I use old pantyhose cut into small strips as ties. They are soft and have some stretch, so they don't cut into the plants. Someday, my supply will be gone and I don't know what I will do. Buy a very cheap pair I guess. Right now, we have three plants in each of two large pots, and despite a cold and gray spring and summer, the plants are lush and fruit are hanging. I expect it will be September before anything ripens.

#154 Really Nice!

Really Nice!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:21 PM

I expect it will be September before anything ripens.

This year?
:(

#155 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:36 PM

I expect it will be September before anything ripens.

This year?
:(

Yes, this year. I saw ripe cherry tomatoes in My Vernon last Sunday. And my Jaune de Plume fruit is starting to look less than green. Mid September is the worst in my memory for the last 23 years - of course, there have been plenty of green tomatoes at the end of the season some years too.