All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Today
  2. I did my Passover shopping yesterday. Two states, 5 stores. And there's still stuff that I need. The back seat was also covered.
  3. I should have used the word relatives. When they arrived in the community that predates Tel Aviv, (late 19th c) they were told there was a need for matzoh bakers which is the origin of the company. There was a family history commissioned when the family celebrated a century in Israel which is a fascinating document.
  4. Reminds me of the dozens of Japanese films I've watched on United and Air France.
  5. That is a very roundabout way to advertise yogurt.
  6. 2019 Coppola Director's Cut Cabernet Sauvignon. Pretty good. What's extra good is the label which is a replica of a 19th century zoetrope stip. Thanks, Francis. https://wineonsale.com/products/directors-cut-alexander-valley-cabernet-sauvignon-2020-750-ml?currency=USD&variant=44376464916618&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&stkn=adcd3ecfeb5e
  7. Memories. The first ever post on Mouthfuls was me describing a dinner at Le Bernardin. I was taken to lunch there by the New York law firm that wanted to sponsor me for my green card. But why it’s front of mind is that I was just paging through Patricia Wells’ old Paris food guide, and there is Gilbert Le Coze standing up Le B in Paris. Ou sont les neiges d’auntun?
  8. It's actually "yakult swallows," which I am afraid to tell my inner 8-year-old.
  9. Of all of them the yakult sparrows are the most culturally significant. Look up yakult lady.
  10. How old is your cousin? Iirc Aviv is 19th century. It should be no surprise that my one surviving memory from Pre-K is they made us make matzoh and eat it and I refused to eat the burnt tasting yucky cracker. Generically predisposed to feinschmeckerism for sure.
  11. But you can probably get a "Spam Fighters" t-shirt in Hawaii.
  12. I can’t tell you how many times over the last few days I momentarily thought Werner Herzog had died.
  13. I had avocado toast for lunch. I am still allergic to avocados. Annoying. Not that I can’t eat them, but an hour of lips and throat on fire after.
  14. Treading carefully into the matzoh issue, why don't you all roll your own? Buying a boxed product made months ago (being optimistic) for what's a hasty flat bread seems somewhat counterintuitive. A matzoh is akin to a plain chapati, without the resting time. Flour, water, a hot griddle (and not so hot if you want a crisper product for eggy delights later) and there you have it. ETA: I believe in nothing but celebrate everything. Consider the Chou Parsi I made for Nowruz. I've gefilte fish coming in from a nearby Boston deli -- who has the bathtub for carp anymore? -- but my accompanying matzoh will be mine.
  15. Yesterday
  16. I still boggled at growing your own bananas!
  17. Sadly they are "The Fighters" sponsored by Nippon Ham...
  18. Where can I get some Ham Fighter merch, is what I want to know.
  19. In Richmond I had an awesome time at an indie record store with AB^2 explaining to him what Vinyl is and the idea of buying an "album" and how we would go and buy used "CDs" after practice in high school. It was a revelation for him. Then he told me "no that Pavement shirt you want me to wear isn't cool"
  20. I've only spent time in Greensboro, as most of what's left of my family is there. Decent BBQ a couple times. And this... When we head down for Thanksgiving this year, Richmond, VA will be our stopping point for 2 nights.
  21. There are some excellent team names in Japanese Baseball High/Pro Level... https://npb.jp/eng/teams/
  22. Cheese is difficult. It is alive and constantly morphing. Like they say you never dip your foot in the same river, you never eat the same cheese. We've had cheese that was very disappointing that we somehow neglected to toss, only to find it buried in the cheese bin later, now ethereal, if a little stinky.
  1. Load more activity