All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Hamburger America's investors are probably happy.
  3. Today
  4. I was usually there for the folk-ish music, which functions as an effective yuppie repellent.
  5. The Wayland on Avenue C? I only ever remember a boring yuppy crowd.
  6. Even worse, that stuff just misses the point. That’s not what this album’s about Also, the contemporary fixation on chart performance makes me want to puke.
  7. Nothing against Beyoncé at all, but I wince at all these stories about the first Black woman to top the country charts. Duh, she’s Beyoncé. Taylor Swift would top the R&B charts if she wanted to (maybe she did already, I don’t know). There are terrific Black women working in country/Americana. Hopefully Beyoncé will lift them up.
  8. I think he might have once come out and said he does that.
  9. Sneakeater

Eater

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. Yesterday
  11. Maybe he’s waiting for them to settle on a permanent menu format. I think it’s changed half a dozen times since they opened. Or if his initial visits were anything like ours, he could also be waiting to see if it actually gets interesting before revisiting i wonder, when he seems to just skip past a notable opening, if it’s simply a place he didn’t care for (message sent - it didn’t even show up in his top 100) but he has some fondness for the proprietor and doesn’t want to knock them down. See also: Le Trois Chevaux / B.
  12. This is a very mild version of my opinion.
  13. Is Acme even remotely still Acme? I checked their Yelp page and it seems like a bottle service club, with a particularly nasty server named Natalie.
  14. Of course the key point is that it's NOT REMOTELY A COUNTRY ALBUM so just shut up about that.
  15. I mean I'm not happy she messed with the lyric thrust of "Jolene". Although the insertion of a bridge certainly didn't hurt.
  16. I wonder how miffed they are that he mentions Acme in passing in this latest review but still hasn't covered them.
  17. Meanwhile, some of the criticism (especially from you Megyn Kelly!) is so ridiculous. They have no idea what a song like Jolene is even about. Completely backwards.
  18. I’m enjoying about 1/2 of it. Which isn’t a bad thing.
  19. Sneakeater

Eater

This morning Eater was calling Billy Durney "the chef who put Red Hook on the map." Apparently, somebody told them.
  20. You know how good Cowboy Carter is? Beggar's Banquet good.
  21. One of the most riveting stage presences I have ever seen.
  22. Lamb bredie (stew) with RG Christmas Limas, green garlic, golden beets, and the beet greens. Sourdough baguette to sop up the liquid.
  23. small h

Supper

Bluefish in curry sauce, fava leaves with oil and lemon. Not pictured: Me realizing that the bluefish was grievously undercooked, and scraping all the fava leaves off so I could microwave it (after that, it was really nice). Also not pictured: Me wondering why some of the fava leaves had neat little holes in them, before discovering that I’d been refrigerating a small black slug for about a week.
  24. The magnet elementary school down the block from us was renamed for her a number of years ago.
  25. Our favorite tiki bar hosted a Gosling's Black Seal Rum tasting, with Emily Gosling (8th-generation owner) running the show. We had 2 cocktails (N had mocktails) and tastings of 5 different Gosling's rums. Those of us who bought bottles were allowed to take home one of their RTD Dark & Stormy cans and taste a special blend that's only available at one particular hotel in Bermuda.
  26. Last week
  27. Most definitely. Everyone's getting priced out of Brooklyn. https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/04/dining/these-brooklyn-restaurateurs-are-crossing-the-east-river.html
  1. Load more activity