wingding's Content

There have been 164 items by wingding (Search limited from 19-September 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#1434252 Supper

Posted by wingding on 13 November 2018 - 12:46 PM in In the kitchen

Trolling the Polish stores in Greenpoint,I spied a bag of white beans with the subtitle Handsome Johnny Beans,which made them an irresistable purchase. Picked up a smoked ham hock and did my best to keep the beans handsome with some aromatics. Sauteed greens with anchovy bread crumbs (love those spicy dried and fried candied anchovies that I pick up in the Indonesian store on Mulberry street j. Con-fusion cooking

#1434239 Death Pool

Posted by wingding on 13 November 2018 - 01:39 AM in New York

No,it’s the weariness and wariness of trying to make ends meet.

#1434236 Death Pool

Posted by wingding on 13 November 2018 - 01:06 AM in New York

Delaware and Hudson is closing at the end of this month.

#1434088 a question about temperature

Posted by wingding on 07 November 2018 - 01:32 AM in Baking and Dessert

You can always leave the oven door open for 5 minutes or so to make the temperature come down fast. Overly high temp. Will not be good for anything with a lot of eggs or butter,especially free form baking like cookies.

#1434064 The Rest of Us

Posted by wingding on 06 November 2018 - 05:50 PM in Wines and liquor

How can chickpeas and turnip greens be so good ? Start with a soffrito,add some tomato paste,grenada peppers and white wine...simmer down,add cooked chickpeas and quickly boiled greens. Season,then make a meal with some nice smoked sprats from one of the stores in Greenpoint, and maybe a nice piece of cheese to finish. To drink ? Cos Nero di Lupo....what a great rich but dry nero d’avola.

#1433806 The surrealism of everyday life

Posted by wingding on 31 October 2018 - 10:40 AM in What's that got to do with anything?

Per Eater:

Bantam Bagels sells for a whopping $34 million
Bantam Bagels[/size], the Greenwich Village bagel shop that stuffs flavored cream cheeses inside bagel balls, has sold for $34 million. Owners Elyse[/size] and Nick Oleksak[/size] sold to T. Marzetti Co., a subsidiary of Lancaster Colony, but will continue to operate the Manhattan shop at 283 Bleecker St. Bantam’s bagels are now also in more than 9,000 Starbucks locations, in grocery stores, online, and on QVC. In 2015, two years after opening, Bantam appeared on Shark Tank, scoring $275,000 in investment from Lori Greiner in exchange for 25 percent of the business.

Many years ago,I purchased a cap made by Jenny Holzer,with the phrase. “The Future Is Stupid” stuck on the front. It has come to pass,writ large. More money being laundered is how I read events like this...

#1433785 Supper

Posted by wingding on 30 October 2018 - 01:28 PM in In the kitchen

Cooking for family as medicine for sorrow on a dreary Sunday: fried smelts,roasted peppers ,panelle. Prok shoulder ragu on fresh papardelle, salad,cornmeal almond biscotti. I like to spread out the cooked chickpea a little thicker than traditional...gives a nice balance of crispy creamy

#1433725 Supper

Posted by wingding on 25 October 2018 - 07:32 PM in In the kitchen

I had an unexceptional dish of sambar while out last week,and wanted to do better.... so got involved with making sambar, hoppers and a pumpkin coconut stew. The sambar was good,though not quite my ideal (I love sambar),needed more fried shallots in the spice mix.
I hadnt made hoppers in a long time,worth the effort. Warming meal on a chilly day....

#1433464 Frenchette

Posted by wingding on 18 October 2018 - 05:32 PM in New York

The markets in Sicily: catania,floridia and palermo have fine ingredients and great vocals,which just sound like music when you don’t entirely understand them .

#1433416 Sexual harassment and the restaurant industry

Posted by wingding on 17 October 2018 - 10:31 PM in General food and drink discussion

This stuff is just so dismal. People have personalities,good,bad, and ugly, which are exaservated under pressure. They might be good cooks, but lousy leaders, or need the time and self awareness to learn to be leaders. Too easy to judge from the outside...Who knows if they can really change, what else that they should do with their lives if run out of town.

true. of course, if one really wants to be a boss or a leader, one probably should also be prepared to step up and lead. she needs to step up for turning a blind eye, which she clearly did, in favor of her success over the dignity and safety of her female staff. i also recognize that she was being bullied, too

I don't think that young cooks thrust into the position of heading a kitchen really know what they are getting into a lot of the time, especially when they and their partners decide to open one restaurant after the other, along with the attendant hiring, firing,and babysitting issues....if only it was about just making good food...

#1433392 Sexual harassment and the restaurant industry

Posted by wingding on 17 October 2018 - 05:48 PM in General food and drink discussion

This stuff is just so dismal. People have personalities,good,bad, and ugly, which are exaservated under pressure. They might be good cooks, but lousy leaders, or need the time and self awareness to learn to be leaders. Too easy to judge from the outside...Who knows if they can really change, what else that they should do with their lives if run out of town.

#1433387 Frenchette

Posted by wingding on 17 October 2018 - 04:00 PM in New York

Free and easy is fine in the hands of the top of the line staff,maybe not when they have to crank out a lot of food. Free and easy in the hands of new hires ,or not all that talented ones is bullpoopy...

#1433343 Goat

Posted by wingding on 16 October 2018 - 07:37 PM in In the kitchen

Greenmarket goat is not inexpensive,and when you are rid of the bones, you are not getting very good bang for the buck. I gave up on it, after I couldn’t salvage free leftovers from the restaurants that I was working in. After purchasing a not all that cheap piece of lamb breast the other day,I would add that to the list of not much bang for the buck either, unless you like to eat fat.

#1433302 Green tomatoes

Posted by wingding on 15 October 2018 - 01:16 PM in Fruit 'n' veg

I pickle some every year, in thick slices,using Sean Brock’s pickling recipe,which is my favorite...good in a samwich with other pickled things,smoked sprats ,and mayo.

#1433219 The Rest of Us

Posted by wingding on 10 October 2018 - 08:18 PM in Wines and liquor

I wonder, more often nowadays...who gives a sh#t what I cooked for dinner...but anyway , some food and opinions : Picked up some nice mackerel,turnips and cranberry beans today. And a bottle of the skeptically named Friend of a Farmer Verdejo,but steel tank fermented and cheap.,but clean,floral and light. Cooked the beans with padron peppers and tomatoes,finished with parsley, lemon, and garlic. mackerel pan seared and finished with garlic,pimenton and lemon. Raw thinly sliced turnip on the side. I have to shout out to two really good Sicilian olive oils: Partenna,which I buy by the gallon on Arthur Ave.,and Polifemo,from the Monte Iblei,imported by Buon Italia. All was deliciosa, and at moments like this,feeling blessed to enjoy good simple food in the chaotic urban ,maybe not around much longer setting that we exist in.

#1432866 Annoyances

Posted by wingding on 28 September 2018 - 11:31 AM in What's that got to do with anything?

That's poetic, but I'm sorry about the pie.
"I don't think that I can take it, because it took so long to bake it, and we'll never have that recipe again."

It was a very metaphorical plop.

#1432846 Annoyances

Posted by wingding on 28 September 2018 - 01:27 AM in What's that got to do with anything?

I didn't care that much about the pie, it was the awful mess, of course on a freshly washed floor.

Admin note...edited 

#1432844 Annoyances

Posted by wingding on 28 September 2018 - 01:07 AM in What's that got to do with anything?

Stress induced pie baking ; had a nice sour cherry pie sitting on a wire rack to cool, and Dang, if the wire rack didn't bulge upward from the heat and pop the pie right on to the floor, head first. Broken glass every where, cherry pooling on the floor like it just don't care....what a mess.

#1432766 Gigs

Posted by wingding on 26 September 2018 - 12:09 AM in Music

I understand that this was a performance meant for some kind of recording. Something that I always have taken with me over the years from watching live Performance,particularily rock and roll,was the sense of unpredictability,mostly from the audience,or the artist. Stadium music kind of killed that, but I miss the days of walking into a small club,and feeling the electricity of the unknown. Early Patti Smith performances exemplified this. .You can’t put your arms around a memory can you...

#1432765 Best Musical Ever

Posted by wingding on 26 September 2018 - 12:07 AM in Performance Arts

Gypsy. My parents experienced the Merm belting it out ,and played the record a lot. I still love it. On The Town holds up well too.

#1432756 Impossible Burger

Posted by wingding on 25 September 2018 - 09:20 PM in At the shops

Why bother ? There are other things to eat,vegan or not, besides burgers. I don’t get it...

#1432736 Supper

Posted by wingding on 25 September 2018 - 04:57 PM in In the kitchen

More of the rabbit,legs buttermilk brined and pan fried,plus sautéed turnip greens, and best of all, fresh shucked cannolini beans,only kissed with salt and olive oil. Chianti with....

#1432735 Madeiline Yayodele Nelson

Posted by wingding on 25 September 2018 - 04:54 PM in Goodbye

Though few here might remember the glory days of African drumming in Brooklyn circa 1980’s, I do. Women of the Calabash appeared all over the place,led by Yayo...sad to see her pass, so relatively young.

#1432725 Gigs

Posted by wingding on 25 September 2018 - 11:21 AM in Music

We went to see Patti Smith doing the show for an Audible recording at the Minetta Lane theatre last night. I had the sobering realization that the last show that I saw her do was 40 years ago...She can still sing as strong as then,probably more easily,without a loud band to project over. Her son Jackson plays nice guitar. The show was a combo of reading,songs and self deprecating patter. My only wish was that the evening had been more rowdy,but we are sedate old farts now ;)

#1432691 Supper

Posted by wingding on 23 September 2018 - 10:11 PM in In the kitchen

Grrr...after a busy weekend of pickling,preserving,and dehydrating peppers,tomatoes,plums,onions,corn and figs
A make me muy contento dinner of rabbit livers and tenderloins with pickled onions and peppers,fried chickpeas and aglianico del vulture. Plum preserves with yogurt and grenada pepper honey for dessert.