Wilfrid's Content

There have been 1000 items by Wilfrid (Search limited from 18-August 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#1444262 The surrealism of everyday life

Posted by Wilfrid on Today, 02:08 AM in What's that got to do with anything?

You’ve been to fucking South Bend.

#1444261 Bars I Have Loved

Posted by Wilfrid on Today, 02:06 AM in Bars and beers

We are winning. 😊

#1444259 Bars I Have Loved

Posted by Wilfrid on Today, 12:38 AM in Bars and beers

The oldest bar on Staten Island, Liedy's Shore Inn.  Tranquil in the daytime: not a place to be stepping on anyone's feet after dark.

02.liedys-506x380.jpg

What a great thread, I’d forgotten it existed.

Anyway, I decided to get off my ass today, and took the ferry and bus to the heart of Staten Island for an African Festival indicated by Eating in Translation. I think Dave maybe hadn’t been for a few years, but there wasn’t a lot to do there.

I decided on exercise. Walked up to Richmond Terrace under the “African sun,” as the festival MC had plausibly described it. Strolled a couple of miles and took some rest under the mighty pillars of Snug Harbor.

Then Liedy’s. Cool and frozen in time, game on the TV (it’s a Yankees bar). Four or five regulars at the bar. I smiled and gave them the big hello. I was bought a drink. We talked. I was lucky to get away. I was that fascinating thing, not a regular.

The place is a gem. And still has the Elvis shows.

I still had a long walk back to the ferry.

#1444257 nyc meal planning, second half of august

Posted by Wilfrid on Today, 12:27 AM in New York

the book store on 112th is the second or third best new book store I’ve ever been to, but not as good as the one on your phone. you can hit it, walk through the columbia campus on 116th, and then keep going and take the big stairs down to morning side park, head south and exit the park on 110th, and then catch the 2/3 by the harlem meer.

I assume you mean Book Culture on 112th. Lovely store, and in addition to new books, lots of used upstairs. Can find some surprising bargains among the academic books sometime.

#1444256 nyc meal planning, second half of august

Posted by Wilfrid on Today, 12:22 AM in New York

May have been mentioned above but New York Historical Society has good stuff for children as well as adults.

#1444255 Ou Sont Les Neiges? The Upper Middle (French and other)

Posted by Wilfrid on Today, 12:19 AM in New York

I somehow didn’t know Masson had another place.

#1444240 Ou Sont Les Neiges? The Upper Middle (French and other)

Posted by Wilfrid on Yesterday, 07:44 PM in New York

I was going to comment on the way these kinds of dining rooms have even been banished from hotels like the Waldorf. Even the Ritz-Carlton now has an all-day casual small-plates restaurant.

Then I saw the Pierre has something called La Perrine, which I’ve never heard of. Like the Carlyle, though, the menu is more American than the name. But there’s confit de canard a l’orange and cow au vin as daily specials.

#1444239 Ou Sont Les Neiges? The Upper Middle (French and other)

Posted by Wilfrid on Yesterday, 07:38 PM in New York

What I totally overlooked is the sub-category which does still exist, the UES snobspots: La Goulue, Le Bilboquet, etc.

Hadn’t looked at Le Jardinier.

#1444191 Ou Sont Les Neiges? The Upper Middle (French and other)

Posted by Wilfrid on Yesterday, 02:34 AM in New York

Will Liebrandt or Dufresne (or indeed Santos) ever come back to running restaurants at all?

#1444186 Ou Sont Les Neiges? The Upper Middle (French and other)

Posted by Wilfrid on 16 August 2019 - 11:55 PM in New York

Okay, Batard.

What’s the ambience like these days?

ETA: Far from busy, wide open reservations. It’s August I guess.

#1444184 Ou Sont Les Neiges? The Upper Middle (French and other)

Posted by Wilfrid on 16 August 2019 - 11:53 PM in New York

I guess I am not breaking news here, but I was looking around for classic French below the four star level, and really there’s only Le Coucou. With La Grenouille closed for the summer, every last one has gone, including hotel dining rooms. Am I forgetting somewhere?

There’s the lounge at Gabriel Kreuther, which is borderline French in cuisine; the dining room’s entry price is higher than Daniel. I guess The Modern, which might hold itself just below four star price because no tipping.

Restaurant Carlyle still has the style, but the food is American (cf River Cafe).

Okay, Cafe Boulud. Nomad, borderline, French techniques.

We’ve had openings in this category the last few years, and they closed.

Expanding the discussion, Atherton is still at The Clocktower, but the menu now looks all-American, whatever the website says about British classics updated.

#1444156 Coast and Valley

Posted by Wilfrid on 16 August 2019 - 07:23 PM in New York

A bowl of olives, or that standby "mixed, spiced nuts" doesn't interfere with dinner.  Some wines, you do want something to munch with them.

And what about tapas, or does that only work in Spain?

#1444154 nyc meal planning, second half of august

Posted by Wilfrid on 16 August 2019 - 07:22 PM in New York

And then there are the SBS bus routes, where you don't really need a ticket at all, as long as you keep an eye out for inspectors.  

#1444146 Coast and Valley

Posted by Wilfrid on 16 August 2019 - 05:31 PM in New York

I have a different perspective.  I rarely choose a wine bar for dinner.  I look for wine-bars (like Four Horsemen) where I can try several interesting wines (maybe with a snack). Obviously it's much cheaper to buy wine retail, but as a solo drinker, it's hard work and a longish project to try a bunch of wines that way.

#1444138 Eater Announces Their Restaurant Critics

Posted by Wilfrid on 16 August 2019 - 03:20 PM in New York

BREAKING.

There are random places to eat and drink around West 34th Street.

#1444137 The surrealism of everyday life

Posted by Wilfrid on 16 August 2019 - 03:02 PM in What's that got to do with anything?

I have this weird thing where I am not nervous about flying, but I have this fatalist sense that I will probably not survive each flight. It's mild gloominess rather than nerves.

#1444133 Micromanage My Life

Posted by Wilfrid on 16 August 2019 - 02:17 PM in New York

Looking at the menu now.  I would hope they are buying good ingredients, but they're not (for the most part) buying expensive ingredients.  In the middle of that menu: oxtail, pork shoulder, hen (chicken? guinea fowl?) and leeks.  Ten years ago, Plotnicki would have said, oxtails aren't high-end.

They are now.

#1444132 Micromanage My Life

Posted by Wilfrid on 16 August 2019 - 02:12 PM in New York

Beatrice is a weird place. If you keep an eye on price it's not unreasonable for nabe, scene, etc. But the upsell is relentless and the prices on the upsell market priced stuff are unconscionable. I like it, but it can totally be a clip joint if not approached with eyes wide open.

Sounds like Sammy's.

#1444104 The surrealism of everyday life

Posted by Wilfrid on 15 August 2019 - 11:11 PM in What's that got to do with anything?

Ouch, happened to me once. Wind hit the plane just as we were about to touchdown, blew us off the runway, and we climbed vertically to get out of it. Stressful.

#1444103 Eater Announces Their Restaurant Critics

Posted by Wilfrid on 15 August 2019 - 11:03 PM in New York

I have a vision of a naked Adria lying on the table, decorated with foams. And I blame Fellini, I really do.

#1444102 Eater Announces Their Restaurant Critics

Posted by Wilfrid on 15 August 2019 - 11:01 PM in New York

Great minds, in the gutter 🤣

#1444099 Eater Announces Their Restaurant Critics

Posted by Wilfrid on 15 August 2019 - 11:00 PM in New York

Eww.

#1444098 Micromanage My Life

Posted by Wilfrid on 15 August 2019 - 10:58 PM in New York

Maialino is pleasant, comfortable, and reasonably sedate. The food isn’t bad, but nothing has amazed me there in the last two years except its breakfast bacon.

Wait, there were some good passed hors d’oeuvres before a private dinner, like neat riffs on Keller-cones, but that’s not really relevant.

#1444096 Eater Announces Their Restaurant Critics

Posted by Wilfrid on 15 August 2019 - 10:55 PM in New York

I hope they do, but there’s a competing theory that they just think he invented, you know, foams.

#1444079 Eater Announces Their Restaurant Critics

Posted by Wilfrid on 15 August 2019 - 04:10 PM in New York

Another Eater list to have fun with: tourist trap restaurants that are actually good.

And the first "tourist trap restaurant" is the Arthur Avenue Retail Market. That's where tourists generally head for dinner after Times Square and the Statue of Liberty.

No Delmonico's for once.