2948 replies to this topic

#16 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:19 AM

Was I nice to you? Saturday was a blur. How did I look? Was it a good hair day?
Will you tell the others how thin I really am?
Did you tell me you were on MF? Next time you must!

Gah! You were a jerk as always. All the friendly and super-helpful chatter about this bean variety and that bean variety. Can't you talk about anything else!

Think thin and I will photoshop an appropriately waifish image of you at the stand. Also, I think you might look nice in a mustache. No?
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#17 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:17 AM

Spectacular late summer day in the sleepy midwest today. Great day to cook in the kitchen after a very hot July. Because I had recently stocked up on RG beans, I was working down the stock from a previous trip. Lo and behold, Red Nightfall.

A lovely bean indeed.

Soaked for about 2 hours and on the stove at a vigorous simmer (or weak boil) for perhaps 4 hours. I'm flighty and rarely check the time so it could have been three, who knows. Salted at the end of the boil and left to stand in their liquor until dinner. I don't know why, but I tend to cook beans in just water even though some recommend an onion in the pot as well.

Anywho, at dinnertime, just a quick heat with some summer savory and served along a nice piece of Cape Cod Striped Bass and a beet salad with sunflower sprouts. Delightful, really.

Not terribly earthy but still some great flavor they hold their shape and their thin skins giving a really nice chewy texture as a side dish.

Well done, Sir Steve.

#18 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:10 AM

Sounds ideal. I love the texture of these. Leftover will be great in salads.
What are sunflower sprouts like? Did you dress them with sunflower oil?

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#19 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:54 PM

Sunflower sprouts are quite tasty. They have much bigger green leaves than an alfalfa sprout or a radish sprout. I don't know how else to describe it but they taste far more 'green' than most sprouts which tend to taste of minerals or soil.

They are dressed in the marinade used for the beets which is olive oil, cider vinegar, salt, pepper, shallot. Using sunflower oil is a good idea. I will say that the olive oil I use, though extra virgin, is very light in flavor.

Speaking of leftovers, I usually take the beans and cooking liquor and toss them in the refrigerator. If my goal is to serve them more 'dry' like in a salad should I be draining them for storage instead?

#20 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:23 PM

Speaking of leftovers, I usually take the beans and cooking liquor and toss them in the refrigerator. If my goal is to serve them more 'dry' like in a salad should I be draining them for storage instead?

I wouldn't drain drain them until you need them or they might get kind of chalky in the fridge.
If you have a lot of extra bean broth you can poach eggs in it. Or save for the next time you make soup.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#21 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:27 PM

Okay so I want to sorta replicate those beans from BBQNYC. In a nutshell, they were beans with meat (brisket or pork, I can't recall) and jalapeños strewn about.

First of all, I have Rancho's Rio Zape beans. I was thinking that I'd do the usual Rancho recipe along with some smoked Oaxacan chilies. I'm thinking that I could do the meat by either:

1) adding some of my leftover brisket or pork from the BBQ.
2) using a hunk of uncooked pork shoulder.

How does this sound and am I missing anything?
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#22 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:36 PM

Okay so I want to sorta replicate those beans from BBQNYC. In a nutshell, they were beans with meat (brisket or pork, I can't recall) and jalapeños strewn about.

First of all, I have Rancho's Rio Zape beans. I was thinking that I'd do the usual Rancho recipe along with some smoked Oaxacan chilies. I'm thinking that I could do the meat by either:

I'd do option 2.
I think the Rio Zapes are too rich. But I always say that and I have someone who made a cassoulet out of them and was happy. Were the jalapeños pickled? I bet some of that pepper juice at the end added some of the flavor. Pintos, Flor de Junio, Red Appoloosa, Yellow Indian Woman, Eye of the Goat all would be good ones.

#23 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:43 PM

I'd do option 2.
I think the Rio Zapes are too rich. But I always say that and I have someone who made a cassoulet out of them and was happy. Were the jalapeños pickled? I bet some of that pepper juice at the end added some of the flavor. Pintos, Flor de Junio, Red Appoloosa, Yellow Indian Woman, Eye of the Goat all would be good ones.

I saw a big box of fresh jalapeños so I'm pretty sure that they were not pickled but I do have a can of pickled ones. Should I use those instead of the smoked Oaxacans?

My fall Rancho order is imminent so I will purchase some Pintos, Flor de Junio, Red Appoloosa, Yellow Indian Woman, Eye of the Goat. But I think that this pot of beans NEEDS to happen in the next few days.

#24 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:52 PM

I saw a big box of fresh jalapeños so I'm pretty sure that they were not pickled but I do have a can of pickled ones. Should I use those instead of the smoked Oaxacans?

My fall Rancho order is imminent so I will purchase some Pintos, Flor de Junio, Red Appoloosa, Yellow Indian Woman, Eye of the Goat. But I think that this pot of beans NEEDS to happen in the next few days.

I'd save those rare and expensive Oaxacan chiles for a Oaxacan dish.

Go to a Latino store where they really turn the beans and if the pintos are really light in color, go for them. There are strains of dark pintos, but if they're darker, it's more likely they're old.

Or you could experiment with the Rio Zape's. Normally I just top them with raw, chopped onion and a squeeze of lime and I'm in heaven. Could all that pork love send you even higher? I don't know!!!!

#25 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:32 PM

[quote name='rancho_gordo' date='Aug 29 2006, 10:52 AM' post='728338']
[quote]

Or you could experiment with the Rio Zape's. Normally I just top them with raw, chopped onion and a squeeze of lime and I'm in heaven. Could all that pork love send you even higher? I don't know!!!!
[/quote]
Thank you, I shall report back! If you don't hear from me, it means that I have gone higher than heaven.

#26 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:15 PM

Red posole in RG Grits might produce a dish of unattractive color, what do you think? :P
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#27 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:38 PM

Red posole in RG Grits might produce a dish of unattractive color, what do you think? :P

Lots of cilantro or parsley?

#28 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:41 PM

that might do - in fact i found a recipe for some creamed posole that is baked with tons of blanched parsley (and cream of course).
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#29 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:51 PM

creamed posole? Please tell us more!

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#30 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 04:10 AM

it's a thanksgiving recipe i found on F&W site - canned hominy baked with blanched parsley and cream...
i'll probably go with a warm salad - posole, scallions and parsley - tabbouleh of sorts, don't want to think autumnally :P yet ...