2948 replies to this topic

#31 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 06:22 PM

Curious thing happened today. I put about a 1/2 lb of Madeira beans in water to soak. A couple of hours later, many (maybe 40%) of the beans had split completely in half. I'm charging ahead anyway, not sure what to expect. I just turned put the pot on the heat.

I think these are probably from last summer. Did I have them in storage too long? Should I not soak this type?
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#32 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:28 AM

Curious thing happened today. I put about a 1/2 lb of Madeira beans in water to soak. A couple of hours later, many (maybe 40%) of the beans had split completely in half. I'm charging ahead anyway, not sure what to expect. I just turned put the pot on the heat.

I think these are probably from last summer. Did I have them in storage too long? Should I not soak this type?

Was the bag open? How had you stored them?
I've been out of them a long time but you should get two years out of them, or more.
I'm happy to replace them with something fresher. PM me!

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#33 Heather

Heather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:48 AM

I am embarrassed to say that I have not yet placed an order for any of your offerings but that will change. My daughter the bean lover is very interested in all the varieties, and even wants to grow some herself. :P I have no idea how to grow beans but I assured her that we would order some pretty ones from Rancho Gordo.

#34 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:52 AM

Was the bag open? How had you stored them?
I've been out of them a long time but you should get two years out of them, or more.
I'm happy to replace them with something fresher. PM me!

Oh, I wasn't meaning to complain. At all. They actually held up quite well cooking. I just thought it odd and was wondering if it was something I was doing wrong.

Regarding storage, they were in their original bag but it was half full and closed with a twist-tie. I can't remember when the first half was eaten. I'm wondering if they got particularly dry or even perhaps frozen at some point during one of my moves over the last year.

On another note, do you sell in bulk to restaurants outside of the Bay Area? The short version of a long story is that I was at a local restaurant (Birchwood Cafe in Minneapolis) and they had three glasses each with a different dried bean. There was a black-eyed pea, a goat's eye virtually identical in color yours, and what looked exactly like a Rio Zape. Could it be?
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#35 Farid

Farid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:28 PM

Time for me to place yet another order. I'd order much more frequently but I take 98% of my meals at work.

#36 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:12 PM

I saw a big box of fresh jalapeƱos so I'm pretty sure that they were not pickled but I do have a can of pickled ones. Should I use those instead of the smoked Oaxacans?

My fall Rancho order is imminent so I will purchase some Pintos, Flor de Junio, Red Appoloosa, Yellow Indian Woman, Eye of the Goat. But I think that this pot of beans NEEDS to happen in the next few days.

I'd save those rare and expensive Oaxacan chiles for a Oaxacan dish.

Go to a Latino store where they really turn the beans and if the pintos are really light in color, go for them. There are strains of dark pintos, but if they're darker, it's more likely they're old.

Or you could experiment with the Rio Zape's. Normally I just top them with raw, chopped onion and a squeeze of lime and I'm in heaven. Could all that pork love send you even higher? I don't know!!!!

Project Pork was a total success. Here's what I did. Seared the pork. Threw in the mirepoix, then a little stock, water and of course the Rio Zape beans. After a bit I chopped up a whole can of pickled jalapeƱos and threw that in the pot. Finished it off with a squeeze of lime...and we have Tuesday's breakfast.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#37 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:33 PM

I made some Good Mother Stallard beans as a side dish the other day, flavoring them only with salt, pepper and cumin. They are so inherently flavorful that they didn't really need anything more elaborate.

#38 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:46 PM

Blue Speckled Tepary beans.
These beans produce fast. They were planted 7-1-06 and started drying by 9-10. If you were to get them in early, you could get two crops in a season. They are drought tolerant and higher in both protein and fiber than other beans, which are already high. Instead we grow rice and cotton in California and fight over the water.
But aren't they pretty? (I mean the beans, not the pods!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#39 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:03 AM

can i place the order?
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#40 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:11 AM

Sorry. These are being grown for seed for production for next year. Maybe the Sping 08. But if you want a handful to plant next spring, PM me then.

#41 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:15 AM

They were planted 7-1-06 and started drying by 9-10.

Ahah. I think you've revealed my own ignorance to me. Do you mean that the beans dry out without human intervention naturally? I always assumed they were spread in the sun (or giant oven) to dry.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#42 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:22 AM

They were planted 7-1-06 and started drying by 9-10.

Ahah. I think you've revealed my own ignorance to me. Do you mean that the beans dry out without human intervention naturally? I always assumed they were spread in the sun (or giant oven) to dry.

After they stop blossoming, you cut the water and they die. The pods get brittle and are easy to crack open. Some, like runner beans, keep on blooming and seem to stay moist forever. You can lay them on a tarp to dry for a few days if needed. But it gets tricky because as the season ends you have fewer daylight hours and sometimes the morning dew is so thick the pods never dry out properly.

With mass production, you cut the water and then a big combine comes and harvests them, returning the pods back to the soil as green manure, but picking up a few dirt clods and pebbles in the process, which is why you have to check for little things in the beans.

I find the whole thing so romantic! Strange but true.

#43 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:15 PM

Rancho, you should know that your calendar is a biiiiiiiiiiig hit at my office. Will there be a 2007 version?

#44 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:48 PM

Yes. I have them but I'm a little freaked out about how to distribute them. I HAVE to send them to certain people/restaurants/media for PR. I'd like to send them to all of my mail order people but it's impractical. I could enclose them with all orders shipped in December but that's not fair for people who ordered heavy earlier. I have others who don't want any product and they just want the calendar, even willing to pay for it. I don't know what to do. They are fairly expensive to make and even more to ship. So I am putting my head in the sand and pretending I have loads of time.

#45 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:00 PM

What about just your December, heavy orders, and the people who want to pay for it? Do you know how many you need total? Have you already ordered the calendars? Apologies if you've already thought about all this. People who butt into your business are the worst.