40 replies to this topic

#16 Josh Karpf

Josh Karpf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 12:55 PM

Lovely spouse volunteered us for making pigs in the blanket for two friends' wedding. Yay. I love pigs in the blanket, though for two decades I haven't had any except premade Costco's.

Lovely spouse doesn't want us to practice making them tonight, for dinner. That means she doesn't actually like pigs in the blanket. So practice may be replaced by a thought experiment.

I expect Hebrew National hot dogs (skinless; apparently no skin variety) and Pillsbury crescent-roll dough to be easiest to find in NYC supermarkets. And Hebrew National will be the more popular choice even though I prefer Nathan's. Maybe Nathan's is also too local a flavor. The guests will be arty urban locals plus mountainside Carolinians.

Does anyone sear the hot dogs' skin before wrapping for baking? We'll be baking them before bringing them on a hotel pan. I don't know if we can reheat at the site, so it'd be nice if searing could add some flavor. And should they be served cut up or whole?

Maybe I should have a non-thought-experiment for lunch.

#17 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 01:07 PM

please use mini cocktail weiners, so that there's not a huge greasy mess ruining people's clothing. biscuit dough and bagel dough work well also dufour puff pastry sheets which you can buy at fairway and similar markets. even pepperidge farms has puff pastry sheets. the crescent rolls are just salty and greasy.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#18 Josh Karpf

Josh Karpf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 01:13 PM

Sounds like good advice, though the barbecue that will predominate at this wedding may make greasy messes moot.

#19 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,819 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:08 PM

splinky has good advice.  When I was catering, we used puff dough and mini hot dogs (Nathan's or HN). They could be easily heated up in a rented toaster oven.

#20 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:36 PM

All of above good advice.    Plus Pillsbury crescents have a very (meh) discernible flavor.    Not much more work to cut up puff dough.

Re keeping your pigs warm, do you have any leftover bricks or tiles on hand?     I've been very successful transporting hot food by wrapping heated tiles in kitchen towels and foil and layering food over.   

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#21 Josh Karpf

Josh Karpf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 03:01 PM

[,,,]

Re keeping your pigs warm, do you have any leftover bricks or tiles on hand?     I've been very successful transporting hot food by wrapping heated tiles in kitchen towels and foil and layering food over.   

Finally, a use for my pizza baking stone.

#22 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,390 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:47 AM

Brush dough with mustard before rolling. Agree on the mini cocktail wieners, though I have cut up really good European wieners into mini pieces. I like Pillsbury wrappers, but yes, very salty and odd aftertaste, but it reminds me of my childhood, so I'm ok with that. I use the wiener wrappers, specifically, and cut them in half because I don't like too much bread. If I were going to use puff pastry, I'd make sausage rolls. Tastier.

#23 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,539 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:11 AM

I thought as a child that when I was grown up, I’d be eating pigs in blankets like all the time.

Along with the rocket pack, another unfulfilled promise.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#24 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,555 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:44 PM

I thought I would be able to eat cheese and onion flavored crisps (potato chips) all day.  Fortunately, at some point, I lost the taste for them.

#25 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,112 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:50 PM

I was at a retro themed event recently and nobody wanted the piabs, or at least nobody wanted to be seen to want them. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#26 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 04:01 PM

Pillsbury burnout?

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#27 Josh Karpf

Josh Karpf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 04:38 PM

I will experiment for lunch tomorrow, I think.

Till then, here's something weird I've just noticed: When I'm reading this topic while logged out of MF, some keywords become links to products, sometimes very irrelevant products. joethefoodie's suggestion to "[use] puff dough and mini hot dogs" linked "mini hot dogs" to "eFrutti Gummi Candy Variety Party Pack: Pizzas, Mini Burgers, Sour Mini Burgers, Hot dogs, Cup Cake, Sea Creature."

Is this VigLink-ing new to MF when logged out, or have I not noticed it before?

#28 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,555 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:46 PM

I was at a retro themed event recently and nobody wanted the piabs, or at least nobody wanted to be seen to want them. 

I was at Pernod-Ricard event recently, and I ate as many as possible.  I wasn't the only one.

#29 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,112 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:17 PM

And what does that tell you about the brand? 

I'm thinking of a piab style Sai Ua. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#30 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,555 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:53 PM

They spend more on the booze than the buffet?