59 replies to this topic

#1 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 08:44 PM

I lugged a huge 3 1/2" thick prime, aged porterhouse from Dean & Deluca 86th Street to the car on Saturday morning, July 3rd, full of anticipation. Later that night, after grilling it to perfection on real charcoal, both Ellen and I commiserated. "Not great" we both agreed. "A little tough, though the filet was good."

The previous week, the same verdict with a thick two bone rib-eye of aged prime from Citarella. "Good but not great."

Last Saturday, yet another repeat. This time, two 3" thick aged prime porterhouses from Citarella. "The best steak in NY," said the butcher.

If he was right, then there is no great steak to be had for home cooking in NY.

I will try Lobel's and Jefferson's the next two times.

What's a carnivore to do?
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#2 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 08:53 PM

A while a ago we got the Kobe steaks from Lobels and a friend who was staying with us said it was the best steak he'd ever had in his life.

Is there still a problem (reported by Luger's to us on a recent outing) about lack of good pasture in US this year & that negatively affects taste of the meat?
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#3 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,106 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 08:58 PM

On good days, there are very good (as in almost-Lobels-good) dry aged steaks (strip, rib eye, t-bone, not 3.5 inch porterhouses very often) at the GCT butcher. Unfortunately, there's no way to know which day is a good day without going there and taking a look, the staff is not very helpful.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#4 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:26 PM

For rib eye, I'm a fan of the Hereford rib eye at Fairway, formerly known as Ray's Rib Eye.

As Ray's, these steaks were ridiculously cheap - $8.99/lb., if I remember correctly. At that price they seemed too good to be true, so we decided that over time we needed to do side-by-side tastings of these bargain rib eyes with those from: Citarella, D+D, Balducci's, Jefferson, Ceriello (sp?), the prime stuff at Fairway, the Australian stuff at Fairway, the butcher on 5th ave in Park Slope, Little Alaska farms grass fed, Pasture Perfect grass fed, and more recently two different offerings from Whole Foods (one of which was grass fed, I believe). Ray's (now the Herefords, and still something of a bargain at $13ish per pound) always came out on top. The closest runner up thus far was from Ceriello.

This reminds me that we've got some comparisons left to do.
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#5 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:34 PM

Niman Ranch rib steaks from Jefferson Market can be good although they're a bit inconsistent.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#6 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:41 PM

On good days, there are very good (as in almost-Lobels-good) dry aged steaks (strip, rib eye, t-bone, not 3.5 inch porterhouses very often) at the GCT butcher. Unfortunately, there's no way to know which day is a good day without going there and taking a look, the staff is not very helpful.

What is GCT? Grand Central Terminal?
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

#7 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,106 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:46 PM

What is GCT? Grand Central Terminal?

yes.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#8 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,109 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:56 PM

The last rib eyes I grilled were merely choice from Costco. They looked fatty and I considered not getting them based on the grade. I was pleasantly surprised to find that with a little sea salt, a little pepper and some marinade they were equal to or better than prime rib eyes I'd gotten elsewhere. Go figure.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#9 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 10:02 PM

Niman Ranch rib steaks from Jefferson Market can be good although they're a bit inconsistent.

Niman puts out a generally high quality product, but their member farms are located in five states. With that distribution of grass and corn, the quality of the meat will undoubtedly vary a bit.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#10 ahr

ahr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 01:18 AM

Lobel's, of course. Luger's now sells steak mail-order. Does anyone know whether it's available raw at the restaurant? If so, will they cut it double-thick for Mr. Thunk?
"To Serve Man"
-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

#11 Guest_Adam_*

Guest_Adam_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2004 - 08:20 AM

What are the characteristics of a great steak? If Flavour, what flavours and if tenderness, is this more important then flavour?

#12 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 11:23 AM

Beefy taste, good texture, nicely marbled. Not necessarily filet mignon tender, but not "tough" or full of strings.

#13 Guest_Adam_*

Guest_Adam_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2004 - 12:12 PM

What is "Beefy" taste? Is it the primary taste of the meat freshly killed meat or secondary flavours that develop with aging or flavours that develop with particular cooking techniques?

Sorry to be pedantic, just curious about what people from different, but similar, countries desire and expect. Have been curious since Ron mentioned that he had recently just tasted grass-fed beef for the first time. It had never occured to me before that people weren't actually having similar experiences when we said similar things like "I had a really great steak the other day".

#14 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 12:56 PM

What is "Beefy" taste? Is it the primary taste of the meat freshly killed meat or secondary flavours that develop with aging or flavours that develop with particular cooking techniques?

Sorry to be pedantic, just curious about what people from different, but similar, countries desire and expect. Have been curious since Ron mentioned that he had recently just tasted grass-fed beef for the first time. It had never occured to me before that people weren't actually having similar experiences when we said similar things like "I had a really great steak the other day".

Adam, grass finished beef tends to have less marbling than corn or grain finished beef. While the first 20 months of so of life is the same, munching or grass in the fields, many American and Canadian cattle are "finished" on feedlots, where they receive a diet composed largely of corn. The result is a higher fat product.

In the US, the difference can often be observed in a place like Chiurascura Plataforma, which uses Argentine beef. In my personal experience, the result is a chewier, slightly stringier product than a US or Canadian product marked choice.

FWIW, I believe it's very difficult for an entirely grass fed steer to obtain USDA Prime certification, which is partly dependent on marbling characteristics.

Edited by Rail Paul, 20 July 2004 - 02:06 PM.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#15 Guest_Adam_*

Guest_Adam_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2004 - 01:04 PM

I must admit that I hadn't seen any visible marbling on Australian beef at all. The vast majority of domestic beef is grass or at least pasture reared. Which explains a lot. Australian domestic beef by and large would be considered inferior in the States.

Leaving aside the meat texture/mouthfeel what is the difference in taste between Argentine and USA feedlot fisnished beef?