59 replies to this topic

#46 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:59 AM

Yesterday I had the privilege of judging a steak cookoff at the Sam's Club in Plano, TX.  One of the categories was tomahawks.  Several of the cook teams used sous vide for the tomahawks and I was very impressed at what they were turning in for the judges.  Moist, tender, juicy, and incredible.  The one that was most beautiful to me unfortunately was over salted.  There we over 40 teams cooking and turning in these steaks.  Being a competition food judge is a good thing on some days.  This competition was put on by the Steak Cookoff Associaiton. 

Good job!

These are big steaks, don't know ow that I would be up for cooking one.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#47 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,276 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:12 AM

moved as requested.

#48 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:47 PM

Several of the cook teams used sous vide for the tomahawks and I was very impressed at what they were turning in for the judges.  Moist, tender, juicy, and incredible.  

Funny what sous vide can do with a correct cut of beef, and the sous vide done properly.

#49 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:15 PM

Oddly enough, we've had steak twice within the last four days: a ribeye from the local butcher shop and veal flank steaks from Consider Bardwell (from culled males, I suppose). Both were very good to our taste; I don't think the fancy-schmancy steaks y'all are talking about would make much of an impression on Paul other than by their cost; he declares that "steak is boring."

Both received a quick sear in the cast-iron pan; because they were relatively thin (and the flank steaks extremely thin), that was sufficient to cook to temp. No need for oven time.

How many people are you feeding with your 3-inch-thick steaks?

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#50 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:55 PM

This is an interesting question.    We are finding that diners/friends are falling more and more into two categories, those for whom meat IS the meal and those who want a very small portion as central reference.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#51 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:17 PM

This is an interesting question.    We are finding that diners/friends are falling more and more into two categories, those for whom meat IS the meal and those who want a very small portion as central reference.

As much as we enjoy meat, we are definitely in the second group. The veal totaled a little less than 1 pound, and I still have about one quarter of it left. It had enough flavor that we were satisfied. To us, those huge slabs of meat would "feed a family of four for a week." So, for example, when I cooked magret for six people, I cooked only four to serve sliced. Nobody starved; there was plenty of other stuff on the plate.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#52 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,525 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:07 AM

I know which group I'm in.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#53 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:34 PM

Dairy farms can do well culling their pasture raised, grass fed calves for veal. Adjectives like humanely raised or pastures are money in the bank.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#54 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:38 AM

Bryan Flannery, Jorge steak for dinner tonight

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#55 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:13 PM

Nice. How was it?

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#56 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,106 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:46 PM

Nice. How was it?

Boring
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#57 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:48 PM

Nice. How was it?

it was meat

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#58 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:07 PM

Tough group.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#59 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:08 PM

Nice. How was it?

it was meat
how did it compare to what you get at fleishers or eataly?

#60 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:50 PM

Nice. How was it?

it was meat
how did it compare to what you get at fleishers or eataly?

Essentially my question.    I shop at Bryan's brother's shop in SF.    Not the boutique meat that Bryan ages, but very, very good.    Against my grain to pay shipping on expensive meat when I can walk a block and have Peter Flannery cut meat to order at half the price.    I'm cheap.    Sorry.  

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.