1521 replies to this topic

#1516 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:48 AM

Mrs AB is on her third pixel, all having succumbed to the mic issue.

A coworker is on their fourth

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#1517 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:13 PM

pondering whether to try the factory reset today or just wait to take it into the repair shop on tuesday. i don't really have anything on the phone that i want to save but photos and videos and those are backed up on google photos anyway. nothing in my messaging or whatsapp history needs archiving. but the thought of having to add all my email settings again is giving me pause.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#1518 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,390 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 04:40 PM

I think my email settings were saved to my Google account from my old Nexus and automatically used with the pixel2, but at least with one of my accounts, all emails still had to be downloaded again. That was a pita.

I could be wrong. I don't always pay attention to those things.

#1519 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,390 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:20 PM

BTW, if you ever feel you might need to back up texts, sms backup is a good app that backs up all texts automatically (depending on the settings you choose) to gmail. I use it and call recorder, which auto records all phone calls which I can then back up to Google drive.

I may seem paranoid, but you'd be surprised how much these apps come in handy when you work with a bunch of unethical and immoral paramilitary folks.

#1520 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:51 PM

so it turns out that a couple of months ago i turned off the backup function on my pixel. i've turned it back on and have left it plugged in in the hope that it will back everything since the end of december up as well. but no dice. i certainly don't want to hand my phone over to a repair shop for x days with all my email and browser history/passwords on it but i also don't want to do a factory reset without first backing up as much as i can.

really stupid that google/android doesn't allow you to manually initiate a backup.

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#1521 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:38 PM

so last week i backed up my pixel and took it in to the authorized repair place, a 40 minute drive away. they said they'd run their diagnostics and let me know. they confirmed that if it was the motherboard issue then google would replace it for free and i'd not be charged anything. four days later they called and confirmed that that's what they'd need to do. the motherboard arrived on monday and on tuesday they called and told me the phone was ready for pickup--that they'd replaced the motherboard and tested it.

i went up today to get it. they told me again that it was now fine. being in a hurry, i stupidly didn't test it beyond a cursory look. got home and plugged it in to charge it so i could restore my data. noticed it wasn't charging. drove back to the place, they opened it up and said the tech who had worked on it had not fully reconnected the charge port, apologized and got ready to close the phone up. wait, i said, let's just make sure everything is working first. so i put my sim into the phone and try to make a call. of course, the original problem is still there: i can make a call but i can't hear the person at the other end and they can't hear me. they take it back inside and then after a bit the dude comes out and tells me that he thinks that the original tech either put the old busted motherboard back into the phone by mistake or accidentally marked it as repaired and tested when it hadn't been.

so they still have the phone. when i go to pick it up again it will be my fourth trip to and from the place. and none of this is giving me any confidence that the repair will hold (if they can even do it).

~homer simpson

#1522 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:39 PM

(meanwhile, the far less sleek older motorola droid that a colleague has loaned me till i get my phone back is working perfectly.)

~homer simpson