3492 replies to this topic

#3451 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 03:11 AM

finback/to ol aqua dementia double india pale ale - brewed at finback, 8.8% abv, crowler fill. this one has a pretty basic sounding combination of simcoe cryo, citra, and mosaic, and this isn’t really distinctive in any way, but it’s a decent double ipa. it’s juicy, there’s no apparent alcohol, the simple orange, mango, and pine flavors work well, etc etc.

#3452 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:01 AM

einbecker mai-ur-bock - 6.5% abv. this is another b-united tanker truck release, which means the beer was put in a temperature controlled container at the brewery and shipped to connecticut where it was canned. I can’t find a date on these, the usual sticker wasn’t on the four pack holder, but they seem very fresh to me and I don’t think they were brewed for spring release. a mai-bock is usually lighter and a little bit hoppier than the usual bock, and this is a nice amber orange and really only tastes like malt. the combination of light bread, orange, and caramel is extremely well done and very light, and there’s a little bit of slightly bitter spice in the finish. this is a pretty simple beer, but I don’t think any of the american breweries I’ve come across could make this, blah blah blah. recommended.

#3453 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:21 AM

westbrook festbrook wiesn-style golden lager - 6.5% abv. apparently wiesn (the can spellls it with and without the double s I can’t figure out how to post) refers to the tents used in at the real oktoberfest, where (as I’ve said a bunch) the beer is a lot lighter than the amber lagers you usually see here. this was “extra” hopped with halleratau mittelfruh, and isn’t that far from the “italian style pilsners” or tipolis clones that are popular right now. this has a really nice combination of sweet malt, hay, and a very small amount of citrus. this is probably the best of the oktoberfest beers I’ve had this season, which is surprising given how good the b-united tanker truck stuff is. it’s not just the hops that work here, it’s balanced, quaffable, has really well done malt notes, and whatever else you’d look for in this kind of beer. strongly recommended.

#3454 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 03:42 AM

jester king saison americaine authentic farmhouse ale - 5.2% abv. jester king is a farmhouse brewery outside austin that has a 165 acre farm that looks impressive on the internet, they’ve sent beer here sporadically for a while but I haven’t tried it before despite all the good things I’ve heard about it. their website talks a lot about making beer with a sense of place, and this was made with water, grain, barley from texas, as well as texan yeast and bacteria. I can’t say if the bottle’s claim that they’ve made a distinctly american kind of wild ale, but it is pretty different from the ones I usually like that tend to come from much colder climates. it’s got a lightly tart set of grapefruit flavors that gives way to some really nice grassy notes that have a nice combination of floral stuff, apples, and honey. this is a really nice example of this kind of beer, it’s clean and nuanced the way all my favorite bretty stuff is. strongly recommended.

#3455 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 11:34 PM

tired hands ourison four grain oak fermented ale - unstated abv. this is tired hand’s regularly produced saison, saison hands, after it’s spent a long time wild fermenting in oak and absorbing the main line’s brett, which turns out to be pretty different from what you find in texas. this has a nice combination of apricot and pineapple that’s followed by a tart finish that has a little bit of lime in it. the base beer tastes strongly of belgian style saison yeast, which is gone but not missedthis is light and pretty quaffable for this kind of beer etc etc. recommended.

#3456 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:25 AM

prairie artisan ales pirate noir imperial stout aged in jamacian rum barrels - 12% abv. I bought this expecting that I’d love it and have a chance to ruminate on why I don’t like the new crop of super high abv stouts as much as the older beers, but this is pretty hot and you have to strain to see the base beer, which is supposedly an oatmeal stout. it tastes good, there’s huge coconut and vanilla notes along with some molasses, rum, a lot of alcohol, and tobacco, etc. the real question is whether this would be appealing to someone who drinks liquor, which I can’t answer.

#3457 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:32 AM

other half high-density hop charge dream in green oat cream india pale ale - 6.4% abv. this is the hdhc version of what their website says is one of their first “oat cream” or oats with a hint of lactose beers, and is the first low abv hdhc beer I’ve tried from them. hdhc is some kind of new hop product they’ve used to great effect in some of their double and triple ipas recently, the hdhc more citra than all citra I had on tap was the best big hoppy beer I’ve had in ages and the all mosaic triple was terrific too. (I missed the hdhc all green everything and a single ipa whose name escapes me.) this one has citra, which is probably where the hcdc comes from, as well as wai-iti and motueka. (the newer hop products take a while to get to the antipodes, for instance I have yet to see a beer made with galaxy lupulin powder, which is at least three years old over here.) and... I really like this. it’s got a big and rich set citrus and slightly buzzy tropical fruit flavors that work better with the oat cream sweetness than they usually do, probably because the hops are stronger than usual. this isn’t as good as the hcdc beers mentioned above, but I like it a lot more than the usual low abv oh ipa blah blah blah. recommended.

#3458 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:44 PM

de garde the maison a spontaneous wild ale aged in oak barrels blended from three barrels - bottled 11/18, 5.5% abv. de garde is a tilamook, oregon brewery that specializes in barrel aged spontaneously fermented beer. I don’t think they distribute here, but they did sell bottles at a recent other half tap take over and this was the only one that didn’t have fruit in it. this is almost like the prairie stout I had the other night - it’s pretty barrel forward and the primary taste is american white wine that I probably wouldn’t like on it’s own, followed by some brett and the kind of buttery oak notes that I associate with shitty chardonnay. this isn’t as bad as I’m making it sound, so I really like the brett, but this is pretty far from the good european beer made with similar methods.

#3459 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:58 PM

Far East Tokyo IPA ... I'm just getting going here in the morning and I like a little something while waiting for my coffee ... 210 seconds in Bodum ... plenty of brew time to knock back a brewski ... you agree AaronS, right ?

#3460 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:05 PM

all I wanna do is have beer for breakfast!

#3461 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:10 PM

photo later ... to tie everything together ... stay tuned .. but I got a call with the Princess shortly ... need to focus on Korea at the moment ... and then Sunday morning strolling might be upon me ... it's all done, it's all written, in my mind's eye, I can see it perfectly, like a beautiful picture and it's all about the campaign on the Yogurt Front, AaronS ... things are improving ... my warrior skills are paying off handsomely once again ... oorah ! 

#3462 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:38 AM

all I wanna do is have beer for breakfast!

AaronS, I know you think this might be funny and all .. and that I'm just all about fun and games ... but you are very WRONG, my friend

I'm dead effing serious ... I'm in a major war over here on the Yogurt Front ... minimal support from anyone but Pras ... and I'm sorry to spilling my guts here in your beloved beer thread ... which is a major piece of impressive work, I might add ... but I'm just not sure if you're taking me seriously or not ... and it naturally has me very concerned

I'm in a wild, no holds barred, open ended, free for all fight with Bulgarians, Greeks and it seems as though that the entire Eastern League is trying to ruin my mornings ... and they have been succeeding so far ... there is no other way to put this ... I'm not winning ... but I have yet begun to fight ! I don't give up easily when I know victory can be within my grasp ...

It's a Battle between Good and Sweet ... that's the short of it ... and I'm in the thick and thin of it ... now ... today ... earlier this morning ...  and my life is on the line ... this stuff could kill me from the inside out ... and you think I'm clowning around !

It's incredible ... I thought we were getting to know each other pretty well ... and we take each other at their word

In any event ... this is how the saga ends ... explanations later ... maybe ...

N54UM0u.jpg

8f7XFZb.jpg

aZLLbEw.jpg

bIGdo5X.jpg

No coasters in the joint ... roasted on Oct 16, good for 90 days (yeah, right) ...

Cremant in the morning OMFG I'm about ready to barf ...

Sour dreams from sweet, little Chambo ...

Dkk9r9v.jpg

#3463 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:03 PM

it’s a replacements reference that’s only true sometimes.

did you try the drei fontien yogurt?

#3464 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:27 PM

it’s a replacements reference that’s only true sometimes.

There’s always lots of references, AaronS

It depends upon your frame … of mind

Which came first ? the girls ? the egg ? small beer ?    ... and my frame is the morning

C'est une question à pondre … I’m just laying out the situation as I see it … tartine anyone ?

did you try the drei fontien yogurt?

I'm coming up more than drei re did I try ... I could blow this thread out of the water ... and AaronS, you know well that I have firepower to do so with ease and without a worry re which way the wind is blowing ... so I'm going to put us back on point ... cuz I'm always on point ... and that gives me the advantage ... hence advantage Chambo ... even if there are those who can't see the difference between a point and a period ... three periods make a game ... point ... set ... match ... yogurt anyone ?

#3465 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:54 PM

ShimoKita ... Tokyo ... Japan ...

2KB35cj.jpg

And I thought it was un petit bistro francais ... surprise surprise ...

Cuz it's like AaronS on Steroids ...

I'm fairly predictable, mon ami ... what did I drink ...

TTO8ixj.jpg

2v3QXUG.jpg

Zec2Vsr.jpg

ItlztRI.jpg

Vucig7F.jpg