3489 replies to this topic

#3466 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:40 PM

I hope you drank the equilibrium, but you drank some of the mikkeller?

I guess it’s unsurprising that the best beer there, which is made about a two hour drive from here, isn’t (legally) available in cans anywhere in nyc but can be found in japan.

#3467 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:22 AM

kent falls brewing co. wooded streams vienna inspired lager - 4.7% abv. this is a very well made beer. it’s a little lighter shade of orange than the usual vienna lager, but it doesn’t really taste like anything other than malt. it’s got a terrific combination of bread, caramel, and dried fruit with a nice pop of sweet noble hop spice in the finish. vienna lager is one of my least favorite german styles, I don’t like the ones decent brewers like von trapp and folksbier make, but as the commercial says this is basically a slightly smaller marzen and I’m glad I picked this up.

#3468 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:03 AM

mikkeller nyc western double feature west coast style imperial india pale ale - 8% abv. this is right at my age limit - just under a month - but this isn’t a weird concept and I really thought this would be better. it’s got the pine, resin, and bitter citrus you’d expect, but it tastes more like bad apple juice than hops and sweet malt that shows up in the finish doesn’t fix things. meh.

#3469 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 06:21 AM

other half double cashmere day dream double dry hopped imperial oat cream india pale ale - 8.5% abv. I don’t see that many beers made with cashmere, but a cursory googling tells me that they’ve been around since 2013 and are a mixture of the super old school cascade hop and northern brewer, which you also don’t see that much. it definitely tastes like a new school hop here, there’s a nice mixture of tangerine, orange, and papaya that goes well with the creamy finish the “hint of lactose” and oats bring. I’d probably prefer the beer without that, but it doesn’t ruin things. I had this on draft when I bought these cans about two weeks ago and this is a lot better than the way I remember it, and I think I’m beginning to agree that the other half beers taste better in the can.

#3470 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 03:58 AM

mikkeller nyc lead a horse to beer new england style imperial india pale ale - 8.6% abv. this one has a mixture of new german (halleratu blanc and huell melon) and american (citra and amarillo) hops, which are supposed to give the beer a combination of stone fruit, which I don’t normally associate with the new german hops, and the “some spice” - and guess what! they really do! this has a terrific mixture of peach and melon flavors that are just sweet enough to give them some depth, and there’s a slightly bitter version of the usual mango tropical stuff in the finish. good examples of this kind of beer aren’t hard to find around here nowadays, but this is one of the better ones I’ve had recently, and so on.

#3471 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 09:04 AM

mikkeller brewing san diego awful gato imperial brown ale with vanilla & coffee - 10.1 abv. this is a well done, if obvious, use of adjuncts. it’s got a lot of the same deep milk chocolate and vanilla flavors that you’d expect in a stout, only without the usual roasted stuff. this is almost quaffable, which is silly.

#3472 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 02:35 AM

perennial artisan ales fantastic voyage imperial stout with coconut - 11.5% abv. prodigal, an imperial stout with vanilla that perennial canned last winter, was one of my two or three favorite stouts last winter, so I bought a bunch of this without having tried it. it’s got a great set of chocolate malt flavors that give way to a ton of coconut, but it’s hot enough that it almost seems barrel aged with a bunch of molasses, dried fruit, and vanilla in the finish along with more apparent apparent alcohol and some more fudge. even good examples of beers this big almost always have obvious flaws, and this isn’t terrible, but I’d much rather have a bunch of sump (their coffee stout) or prodigal in my fridge.

#3473 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:28 PM

nightmare brewing company blowing from a gun double india pale ale with indian cane sugar quadruple dry hopped with el dorado, calypso, cashmere, mosaic, and huell melon hops - brewed at dorchester brewing, 10.5% abv. nightmare is a 12% llc brand whose initial releases were strong enough to make me forget that I haven’t like their stuff since they started brewing on the larger system at dorchester. this one is a little bit frustrating, it’s huge and very bitter for a modern dipa, but there are some decent sweet peach and melon notes under all the bitterness, and more stuff appears (papaya, orange) the more I have, but it is unnecessarily harsh at first.

#3474 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:03 AM

prairie artisan ales screenshot imperial stout with hazelnut roasted coffee - 11% abv. this is another smooth and easy to drink stout from prairie that’s more or less completely as described, although I don’t think that many adults would accept a coffee drink this sweet. this is more or less what I think those bottled starbucks drinks are like, so I guess there is an adult audience, and I wish I could say these aren’t pleasant enough. recommended to anyone trying to get young kids drunk.

#3475 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:46 AM

the veil brewing breathless marzen style lager - 5.5% abv. the veil is a richmond brewery known for making the kinds of stuff that trendy breweries make, and I don’t know if this is indicative of what they can really do, but this is actually the well made european style lager it’s supposed to be. this was brewed in june, aged in the traditional horizontal tanks for several months, canned a month ago, and was the only beer left by the time I got to thuraday’s can sale at other half. this is a deep amber color that’s a little bit darker than most american made marzens, and the only real flavors apart from a hint of spice in the finish are a mixture of bread and caramel that are as good as any of the marzens I’ve had this fall. recommended.

#3476 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:58 AM

jester king das wunderkind! blended saison - 4.5% abv. jester king is an austin, texas area brewery that specializes in wild fermented beer. someone with a ton of industry connections once told me that it was probably the best brewery of it’s kind in america, which is actually pretty consistent with the two bottles of their beer I’ve bought recently. this is a beer de coupage, which the label tells me means it a blend of three vintages of beer that were dry hopped and then aged in an open wood container that exposed them to texan micro flora. this has a really remarkable set of brett flavors that include apricot, tangerine, asian pear, and a really pleasant version of the brett flavors that are often described as soap that are barely tart. there’s just the right amount of sweetness, etc, etc. this is definitely one of the better beers if it’s kind that I’ve had. strongly recommended.

#3477 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:02 AM

sierra nevada celebration fresh hop ipa - 6.8% abv. I look forward to this one every year, it’s got the classic combination of sweet malt, and pine that’s surprisingly hard to find nowadays. the finish has a nice mixture of grapefruit and peach tea, and like all the good sierra beers it’s simple but there’s enough going on to make it easy to drink a lot of them. recommended, especially if nostalgia is a factor.

#3478 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:15 AM

evil twin oh my god, he’s a bozo! imperial stout aged on bourbon and maple syrup barrels - produced and canned for evil twin brewing by westbrook brewing co., mount pleasant, SC. the best evil twin stouts tend to be made at westbrook, and the best of those use maple syrup bourbon barrels, and the base beer is actually pretty decent, but this one seems like a lot less than the sum of its parts. there’s one basic flavor here, an enormous combination of maple and bourbon thats not delicious or interesting, and the little bit of vanilla in the finish doesn’t compensate. I should say that the absurdly high abv is pretty well hidden, and while that’s impressive this is a lot worse than the previous westbrook maple barrel aged release, etc, etc, etc.

eta: this is strong enough that I forgot to mention the canned part is a typo.

#3479 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 02:02 AM

great notion brewing juice box dipa india pale ale - 8.2% abv. great notion is a portland, oregon brewer that makes the same kinds of trendy beer that everyone else does. they don’t usually distribute here, but I’ve had some of their stuff at other half and these cans showed up at the shop at threes for whatever reason. I don’t remember the hoppy beer being different from the usual stuff, but the pastry sours were as good as any I’ve had. this is an all mosiac dipa, something that quite a few breweries make pretty well, but this is actually distinctive and doesn’t taste like it could have come from other half or finback. it’s about the same color as the clementine soda I had with lunch, which is actually a good point of comparison. the word juicy is a good way to describe a lot of these beers, but this really doesn’t taste like anything else and has the kind of light mouthfeel you get in a soft drink. this is a lot more layered than any soda I’ve had, there’s a ton of mango, papaya, and a little stone fruit, which is what you’d expect from mosaic, only there’s none of the blueberry OH gets, and there’s just enough bitterness in the finish to keep this quaffable. excellent italian soda may be an odd way to describe a beer, but this is as good as any ne ipa I’ve had in a long time and one of the few times the out of town stuff has seemed both clearly distinct and clearly better than the beer that’s regularly available here. strongly recommended.

#3480 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 10:47 PM

great notion so wrong it’s ripe india pale ale with honey - 7% abv. this is another beer that seems like more of the same - other half has a citra beer made with honey - and while I don’t know who was first or even who did it better this is almost as good as last nights beer. it’s just as juicy - there’s a hit of honey in the finish that I think I would get if I hadn’t read the can but the rest of it is a great mixture of orange and tropical fruit with the same super light body that last night’s beer had. once again strongly recommended.