3482 replies to this topic

#3481 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,803 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:10 AM

other half all riwaka everything imperial india pale ale - 8.5% abv. riwaka hops are rare hops that are grown in both of the former colonies that were the first to see the sun that never set. I can only remember one other beer that uses them, hill farmstead’s superlative susan, but this tastes as strongly of the southern hemisphere as nelson or any of the bad wine those places produce. this is hard to describe, and I don’t think the grapefruit and passion fruit descriptors google will pull up are that helpful. this tastes like the non bitter part of passion fruit, along with the common thread I get in lychee, rambutan, jackfruit, papaya, and our hemisphere’s paw paw. I don’t know if that’s an adequate descriptor or not, but this is another beer that’s all juice and there’s no real malt or alcohol presence. I like this more than their other single hopped beers with the same abv, which often combine these flavors with citrus and stone fruit. I really like this, and hope that I’ll come across the hill harmstead beers made with these hops soon etc etc. strongly recommended.

eta: I guess there is some citrus here.

#3482 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,803 posts

Posted Today, 05:37 AM

mikkeller freddie murkury new england style imperial india pale ale - 9.2% abv. this isn’t anywhere near as distinctive as last night’s beer, which is what you’d expect from something made with simcoe and mosaic, but it’s got tons of the papaya, passion fruit, and citrus I like so much, and the lactose gives it a nice mouthfeel and enough sweetness that the fruit tastes extra rich in a way that reminds me of the old school west coast triples. this is well made and very drinkable for the abv, but it’s hard to see the ingenuity that you often get in the de proef made mikkeller beer.

#3483 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,405 posts

Posted Today, 05:58 AM

I got some paw-paw at the Greenmarket a couple of weeks ago.  It was cheap (don't tell Liquid).  I enjoyed it.

Bar Loser

MF Old