#31 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:59 PM

The uni's cooked?

I've had it a few times and I never thought it was cooked.
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#32 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,207 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:32 PM

I thouhgt it was slighty cooked.. Having gone only once, I can't be sure..
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#33 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,680 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:33 PM

It's warm but I think that may be from the sandwich press.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#34 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,207 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:50 PM

The texture is a little more firm then raw.. So perhaps the grill could have slightly cooked the uni.. laugh.gif

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#35 pixelchef

pixelchef

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:10 PM

That sandwich looks incredible. Jarrod would be fucked if they served that at Subway.

#36 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,026 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:52 AM

This place is terrific.

More thoughts (if any appear) at a time when I'm not shaking off an extended visit to Death & Co. thereafter.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#37 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,026 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:23 PM

Just about everything Daisy said in her initial post is spot on, so I have little to add.

I got a standing spot at the bar at about 7:30 last night. It was only moderately crowded (but this IS the first half of January).

I couldn't read the cocktail board from where I was standing and stuck with manzanilla sherry throughout. It was pretty much perfect.

I had the uni panino (as one has to), the eggplant and honey, the basque anchovies (served in a sort of jellied-up oily tomato sauce), and the pork cracklings. The only dish I have any reservations about is the eggplant: I'm with the contingent who find it too honeyed.

I haven't seen the pork cracklings mentioned yet (that I remember), so let me give them a shout out and urge you all to try them.

Great place. I might even like it more than Tia Pol, for the inauthentic reason that the food is on the whole more substantive and less snack-like.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#38 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,680 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:29 PM

I was there Wednesday night and was also a little unimpressed by the eggplant--not as softly luscious as it has been on previous tries and also a little oily (but I am hyper-sensitive to oiliness and my companion did not think it too oily). We also had the cracklings which were really,really good. I loved the little brown paper box they were served in,too.

The uni panino is heavenly.

They need to put in ceiling cans or track lights and point two at those blackboards. They are really hard to read unless you are right under them. I had a 'martini' which was a very herbaceous dry vermouth from California, served on the rocks witha spanish olive, and some rose cava.

Edited to add: I do think, as much as I like Quinto Pino, that it is very expensive for what it is.
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson

#39 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,026 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE(Daisy @ Jan 11 2008, 04:29 PM) View Post
Edited to add: I do think, as much as I like Quinto Pino, that it is very expensive for what it is.

Of course you're right. I've just inured myself to overspending in these "small plates" places. It's baked in the cake, as they say.

You're also completely right about the illegibility of the boards if you're not right in front of them. (I was lucky enough to be right in front of the food board.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#40 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,026 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:38 PM

Have you had the Catalan head cheese, BTW?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#41 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,680 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:43 PM

No, we toyed with the idea but went for the cracklings instead. Intrigued by it though.

#42 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,026 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:45 PM

People should stop reading cuz nobody's gonna care about this, but I went through the exact same ordering decisional process. (And I'm certainly happy I tried the cracklings!)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#43 spaetzle

spaetzle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE(spaetzle @ Nov 1 2007, 05:13 PM) View Post
Oh, and the couple sitting next to me got the fried pork belly and shared some with me - good stuff.

I loved the cracklings except I called them fried pork belly. Hee!

They are really wonderful - like pork popcorn.

Taking a break.

#44 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 04:07 PM

Must. Go.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#45 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,680 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:23 PM

Last night I persuaded an uni panino virgin to give it a shot. He was wowed.

Still haven't had the braised pork sandwich because I love that one with the uni so much. We also had the shrimp, cod fritters, eggplant and chickpeas. And I think the lighting has improved a little--it's a bit softer.