Photo

The best tasting .beef steak I've eaten.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,477 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:44 PM

Not questioning the resulting cooked steak which looks great but the marbling on the uncooked steaks doesn't look so special to me. The lines of fat look to be thicker and less uniform than in steaks usually found at a place like Lobels.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#17 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(mitchells @ Nov 5 2007, 09:44 AM) View Post
Not questioning the resulting cooked steak which looks great but the marbling on the uncooked steaks doesn't look so special to me. The lines of fat look to be thicker and less uniform than in steaks usually found at a place like Lobels.

The marbling doesn't mean anything here. This beef had fantastic flavor and tenderness. Even the filets were tasty as all get out.

I've had Lobel's super prime aged 40 days and as great as it is, this meat was better. This steak surpassed it and any I've had at Lugers. We're talking scores of 96 vs 98/100. The cost was less than Lobel's for comparable meat. Lobel's 36 oz. 2 1/2" porterhouse is $129. These were 42-44 oz. each and came in at $93 each with $36 Fed Ex 2nd day shipping. These were aged 40-42 days.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#18 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:22 PM

Thunk, you captured that steak experience mostly wonderfully in your photos, thanks. (enjoying the experience vicariously through your photos!)

#19 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE(Leslie @ Nov 5 2007, 11:22 AM) View Post
Thunk, you captured that steak experience mostly wonderfully in your photos, thanks. (enjoying the experience vicariously through your photos!)

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the next one.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

#20 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,180 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE(Melonious Thunk @ Nov 5 2007, 07:26 AM) View Post
The marbling doesn't mean anything here. This beef had fantastic flavor and tenderness. Even the filets were tasty as all get out.

These were clearly from cattle that had not used cell phones.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#21 Rebecca

Rebecca

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE(Melonious Thunk @ Nov 4 2007, 06:06 PM) View Post
Porterhouse, aged 42 days, 2/1/2 " thick, 2.9 lbs. Seasoned with cracked pepper, FdS/Herbs d Prov, EVOO. Seared over 8" bed of charcoal with mesquite chips, roasted to internal temp of 122 degrees. Sliced at 132 degrees.

I do not understand. How do you slice it at 132 degrees when you want to stop cooking at 122 degrees? blush.gif
"I saw them eating and I knew who they were." -Kahlil Gibran

#22 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,838 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:08 PM

because the internal temperature keeps rising as it "rests".

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#23 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE(Melonious Thunk @ Nov 5 2007, 08:47 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Leslie @ Nov 5 2007, 11:22 AM) View Post

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the next one.

oops, I just realized I made a typo in my post. I meant to say "most" wonderfully not mostly. I was typing too fast blush.gif . I can't remember seeing a nicer series of steak photos from start to finish.

Edit to add: I've just bought a steak to grill for lunch! (alas, not the same kind, but still.... ). smile.gif

#24 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Nov 5 2007, 12:08 PM) View Post
because the internal temperature keeps rising as it "rests".

Correctomundo. Meat should be removed from heat before it reaches the desired internal temp, usually it rises 5-10 degrees depending on thickness, water content, etc. Turkey, for example, should be cooked to 165 degrees internal temp. That means it comes out of the oven at 158 or so, it will rise to 165 or more in 15-20 minutes "resting" time. i.e.--it continues to cook.

#25 pixelchef

pixelchef

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:16 PM

... a concept I've tried to make my family understand and grasp for years, but their stubbornness just doesn't allow it. And thus, they eat overcooked meat 99% of the time. The only way a Thanksgiving turkey, or a Christmas Prime Rib doesn't get overcooked, is if I cook it. Frustrating as hell.

#26 Rebecca

Rebecca

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:30 PM

Have received a two-page "broadcast" type email from Bryan Flannery with lots of helpful info and pricing for Beef, Lamb, Pork, Chicken and Fish. Very interesting. Also says their website is not up and running yet as he says "I know more about prime beef than I do about web sites." I may do some Christmas shopping here! Highly recommend you subscribe.
"I saw them eating and I knew who they were." -Kahlil Gibran

#27 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE(Rebecca @ Nov 6 2007, 01:30 PM) View Post
Have received a two-page "broadcast" type email from Bryan Flannery with lots of helpful info and pricing for Beef, Lamb, Pork, Chicken and Fish. Very interesting. Also says their website is not up and running yet as he says "I know more about prime beef than I do about web sites." I may do some Christmas shopping here! Highly recommend you subscribe.

Bryan is great to talk to. Call him to discuss what you want or any ideas you have.

#28 scamhi

scamhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:48 AM

Flannery porterhouse on Sunday
36 day dry aged- excellent

#29 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:08 AM

QUOTE(scamhi @ Feb 20 2008, 09:48 PM) View Post
Flannery porterhouse on Sunday
36 day dry aged- excellent

Looks good enough to eat! Lovely piece of meat.