Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE(splinky @ Oct 22 2008, 07:24 PM) View Post
QUOTE(robert40 @ Oct 24 2008, 05:15 PM) View Post
Oprah gave it high praise today.
Also a $50 coupon is available for the next week at the link below.
http://www.oprah.com...024_tows_kindle

Robert, thanks. Yes, it's the Oprah code that I had. Of course, it's probably sold out already.

If we walk real softly maybe no one will notice we watch Oprah. unsure.gif

#17 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE(robert40 @ Oct 24 2008, 05:31 PM) View Post

Robert, thanks. Yes, it's the Oprah code that I had. Of course, it's probably sold out already.

Robert,
oprah helps us to make our lives better, there's no shame in that. rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

i just keep thinking i'd miss real books.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#18 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE(splinky @ Oct 24 2008, 02:55 PM) View Post

Robert,
oprah helps us to make our lives better, there's no shame in that. rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

Until Orca gives me a new car...I refuse.

#19 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 02:00 AM

QUOTE(Evelyn @ Oct 24 2008, 09:35 PM) View Post
QUOTE(splinky @ Oct 24 2008, 02:55 PM) View Post

Robert,

Until Orca gives me a new car...I refuse.

with that attitude she'll never give you a new car. robert and i will take you for spin in our oprah cars sometime

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#20 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 02:53 AM

ninja.gif tongue.gif Should I wait on the corner for you to pick me up cool.gif

#21 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,100 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:13 PM

Can I buy a used kindle? Can I buy a used book on a kindle? Can I take a kindle book from the library?
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#22 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE(Orik @ Oct 30 2008, 04:13 PM) View Post
Can I buy a used kindle? Can I buy a used book on a kindle? Can I take a kindle book from the library?

maybe, no and no

hardly used kindle - ebay

~Jack Handey

#23 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:15 PM

It never occurred to me before, but is the name kindle supposed to "evoke" book burning?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#24 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:02 AM

I'm trying to figure out how this technology could cost $350. Isn't it a pretty basic downloading thing and an internal harddrive? And I don't see that it has particularly interesting graphics.

#25 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:09 AM

Stone:

It shouldn't.

Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos

#26 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:13 AM

I don't think the iPhone is big enough to be a serious reader. (although I wonder how much smaller it's screen is than the Kindle's.)
I think my big problem with the Kindle is that it is pretty worthless. I rarely if ever read more than one book at a time, so the only benefit it could offer is access to magazines or newspapers (most of which are already available on my BB).

#27 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:43 AM

kindle seems misguided, i'd think.
i really wouldn't mind having a small tablet PC type thing with a very readable b&w screen which would suck down various blogs and news sources, which i could take with me on the subway on the way to work.
but only a fraction of my reading is "books".

man, i need a headache

#28 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:48 AM

As Jason points out in his article, for that kind of money, I'd expect to get a whole lot more than just a book reader. Doesn't $350 buy a much more complex and useful iPhone or BB? And I'd think that anyone buying this thing would already have a pretty quick connection to the Internets. I'm all for instant gratification, but I can usually wait until I get home to make my purchase.

#29 jesteinf

jesteinf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:30 AM

I read tons of books. Sometimes I read 2 or 3 books at a time. If I'm going on a week-long vacation I'll sometimes bring 4 or 5 books (mostly hardcover). So honestly, I have no qualms buying a Kindle. In fact, I already did. I put in my order shortly after Thanksgiving, only to find out I wouldn't actually get the thing until end of February/beginning of March. Today Amazon sent me an email to let me know I would be getting a Kindle 2 instead of a Kindle 1 since my order hadn't shipped yet (which I thought was pretty nice).

Jason, I read your article and see your points, but I really don't care about the thing being open source or connected to my Facebook account or anything like that. This thing is going to save me a ton of money on books, and will save me some serious schlepping on the bus and on vacation.
-Josh

#30 fentona

fentona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE(Stone @ Feb 9 2009, 08:48 PM) View Post
As Jason points out in his article, for that kind of money, I'd expect to get a whole lot more than just a book reader. Doesn't $350 buy a much more complex and useful iPhone or BB? And I'd think that anyone buying this thing would already have a pretty quick connection to the Internets. I'm all for instant gratification, but I can usually wait until I get home to make my purchase.

I wonder how much 3G adds to the price. It does seem kind of pointless on the Kindle, if its primary (only?) function is to download books.

I suppose the other question is whether people will want another electronic media device, or use just one. One of the reasons I bought an iPhone was because I only wanted to schlep one device rather than a phone and MP3 player. Reading books on the iPhone isn't a very satisfactory experience, but I'd be willing to spend a few hundred bucks in a couple of years and upgrade to a model that lets me read books as well as listen to music, watch movies, read blogs, surf the web, etc. I'm not really interested in carrying around another piece of electronics.
Andrew Fenton