114 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:28 PM

Slow day on the writing front, I guess...

“When a woman says she wants meat, she’s already telling you something.” he says. She doesn’t mind showing you her appetite. I ask for a two in the back. There’s nothing to intimidate her. She’s comfortable. That’s the secret. You order the rib eye for two. The truffled potatoes. That chocolate cake, of course. She is charmed. You can be sure she’s coming to bed with you.

“Or maybe she only eats fish,” he continues, clearly quite pleased with himself. “I don’t take her to Le Bernardin. Too intimidating. Or Esca. I love Esca. But the crudo and pastas she never heard of might make her uncomfortable. I take her to Aquagrill. It’s still very good, lively, full of people and the menu is familiar. She’s going to be comfortable, easy, open.

“The Modern is very sexy too,” he goes on, watching me take notes. “I should write an article about this but I would make too many enemies.” He sighs. I’ve watched Francesco in two long affairs with seriously smart and accomplished women being his outrageously sexist self wondering why they put up with it. So it’s not that he’s only into the one-night stand, or mindless bimbos. But when he’s dating, it seems, the after-dinner digestif is sex. “Yes, the Modern. A certain kind of girl will be very impressed. She likes art. It’s expensive. She could never go there on her own. It looks out at the Sculpture Garden. You just know she is ready.

“Jean Georges at lunch could not be more sexy. She knows she looks good in that light. That food. The surprising combinations. The incredible tastes. So sensuous. Too much wine. She is transported By three o’clock she doesn’t even remember she is in New York.

“I have given much thought to this question of romantic restaurants. In each case you have to study the girl and find the right restaurant for her. One If by Land, Two If By Sea. Forget it. A joke. The Terrace. Never. Never. The minute you walk in she knows what you have in mind. You might as well write her a note ‘Tonight I expect to do it.’ It’s too obvious.”

Insatiable Eater
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#2 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:31 PM

Racist as well as sexist. smile.gif

Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#3 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,678 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:31 PM

Incredible piece of claptrap, that.

And just what I'd expect from Greene.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#4 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:33 PM

Can't even spell Scarlett's name right.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#5 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:39 PM

“When a woman says she wants meat, she’s begging for it. Take her to Hello Berlin and give her a sausage surprise. And I don't mean in the restaurant."
Elect-a-lujah

#6 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,678 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:44 PM

If someone ordered for me (an interesting concept in and of itself) and it consisted of rib eye for two, truffled potatoes and chocolate cake I'd feel as if I were a prize heifer he was trying to fatten up.

And, for the record, I don't like chocolate cake.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#7 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,119 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:44 PM

If you really want to get it on, become a butcher
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#8 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:47 PM

Nothing like watching a man push tiny morsels of meat into a tube.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#9 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE(Daisy @ Nov 26 2007, 02:44 PM) View Post
If someone ordered for me (an interesting concept in and of itself) and it consisted of rib eye for two, truffled potatoes and chocolate cake I'd feel as if I were a prize heifer he was trying to fatten up.

And, for the record, I don't like chocolate cake.

I like-a something I can get-a my hands on, said Francesco stereotypically.
Elect-a-lujah

#10 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:05 PM

I have to admit I kind of like that he's given serious thought to where he'd take Barbara Streisand out to dinner.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,550 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:13 PM

“When a woman says she wants meat, she’s already telling you something.” he says. She doesn’t mind showing you her appetite.

In my new single life, I find that my most fruitful meeting spots are restaurant bars that serve meals.

So hateful as that magazine piece was, I have to recount the single greatest "line" I have ever had the opportunity to utter.

I was eating in the bar room at Keen's. Not at the bar, but at the counter on the wall opposite the bar. A party of women sat next to me and ordered a few plates of steak tartar. I was watching. When my empty plate was taken away, they asked me to join them.

"There's certainly nothing like watching a bunch of women descend on a plate of raw meat," I actually got to say.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE(Behemoth @ Nov 26 2007, 04:05 PM) View Post
I have to admit I kind of like that he's given serious thought to where he'd take Barbara Streisand out to dinner.

“I got it,” Francesco suddenly cries. “I got it. “Manducati’s. I would take Barbara Streisand to Manducati’s in Brooklyn."

That would be a really long cab ride since Manducati's is in Queens. And the name of the place is actually Manducatis. So much for Francesco.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#13 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,066 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:21 PM

“Or maybe she only eats fish,” he continues, clearly quite pleased with himself. “I don’t take her to Le Bernardin. Too intimidating. Or Esca. I love Esca. But the crudo and pastas she never heard of might make her uncomfortable. I take her to Aquagrill. It’s still very good, lively, full of people and the menu is familiar. She’s going to be comfortable, easy, open

Haha you can tell what type of women this jackass goes out with.. Le Bernardin too intimidating? what with all the big words and all on the menu.. Or is she not use to wearing underwear or something? Pasta she has never heard of at Esca? Yes, so because a person never heard of a type of pasta the date is going to be ruined?

I just dont see filling up on a double ribeye, a bunch of starchy fatty potatoes and some chocolate cake, then getting busy..

Why not just go to a bar with your date, do a couple of bumps, go to Barneys and take her back to your Hamptons Pad..
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#14 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:25 PM

I like 'em a-stoopid, I like 'em a-young, the underwear - who cares? - izza coming off anyways.
Elect-a-lujah

#15 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,066 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE(Lex @ Nov 26 2007, 04:18 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Behemoth @ Nov 26 2007, 04:05 PM) View Post

“I got it,” Francesco suddenly cries. “I got it. “Manducati’s. I would take Barbara Streisand to Manducati’s in Brooklyn."

That would be a really long cab ride since Manducati's is in Queens. And the name of the place is actually Manducatis. So much for Francesco.

First of all, the thought of someone seducing Barbara Streisand grosses me out to know end.. But, if one were forced to, I would go the Bill Clinton route.. Take her to Sylvia's so you are not far from some finally welcomed aggressive sexual advances at your office.. Close the deal with Babs by 10 so you can shower and fine some younger tail..
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.