824 replies to this topic

#1 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:09 AM

If this is a work in progress, I look forward to seeing the final product. A charming bar slash restaurant to be, in the old Detour space, currently serving family dinner (set menu) on Thursdays, and opening to a full-service restaurant come January. The cocktail menu created by Rob (of Centrico fame) features an old-style pre-Prohibition era list, and a full list of newer inventions. On the menu tonight, a leek and wild mushroom tart; a gumbo; and hard root beer (Virgil's rootbeer enhanced with vanilla-infused vodka) floats.

Oh. And home made pretzels. Soon to be served with home made sausage. And mustard. Oh. I'm so going back.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,029 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:22 AM

It really hurts me to say that my attitude toward pre-Prohibition cocktails (supplemented by newer inventions) is very quickly approximating my attitude toward Seasonal Market Ingredients.

As my mother used to say everytime somebody looked at her sideways, "They're taking away all the niceties."
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,680 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:22 PM

The cocktails were very good. I had a perfect aviation and sips of others' drinks were quite nice as well. Blondie had an especially delicious drink--perhaps she'll post about it. I did have a glass of wine once the food arrived since I'm not a fan of cocktails with food.

The bar snack of bacon peanut brittle is like crack. The pretzels are irresistible and it will be impossible for me not to order them when I return. I think there was crab in that tart as well. The gumbo was very nicely balanced, with duck and andouille, served ladled over dirty rice. I hit the wall on the root beer float but those ginger cookies---oh my.

As Liza said, a work in progress. Host Rob was telling us of plans to upgrade some lighting, install more banquettes. He also sent us home with some more of those cookies.

This is a relaxed place, the crowd was quite eclectic, and it is a welcome addition to a neighborhood where most bars not of the 'lounge' sort are frat bars.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#4 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:34 PM

You got cookies to take home? Dayum.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#5 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:34 PM

The DOH showed up mid-service...I hope everything went okay.

I loved Blondie's Revival. I had a very good Vesper and a gin Gibson, garnished with excellent onions.

Meg, the cook, was executive sous chef for the Bar Room at the Modern.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#6 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:07 PM

The thread title reads like an advertisement for personal services. cool.gif
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#7 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Dec 7 2007, 10:07 AM) View Post
The thread title reads like an advertisement for personal services. cool.gif

Especially considering the address, which is just steps away from the Travis Bickle/Jodie Foster building!
Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment

#8 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,680 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:36 PM

And especially since not so long ago when I first lived in that neighborhood 11th,12th and 13th from Third Avenue to First Avenue were crawling with hookers---12th, where I lived, was reserved for the trannies. They hung out in a bar on the corner of 12th and Second called La Bamba, which has just recently morphed from a gay bar into yet another EV frat bar. Oh, how the world can change.

ETA: According to local legend, La Bamba was owned by a local character named Slugger Ann (which was the original name of the bar, she later gave that name to a bar across Second where Bar Veloce is now) who was the grandmother of...Candy Darling.
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson

#9 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:41 PM

Oh yeah, I lived on East 12th in the early '90s, and I was struck by how much Taxi Driver had gotten the location right.
Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment

#10 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:56 PM

Thread drift brought to you by Wilfrid.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#11 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,680 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:36 PM

I just, per Rob's instructions last night, stuck the ginger cookies in the microwave for 30 seconds and had them as a late breakfast/early lunch. Oh boy.

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,029 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:39 PM

Don't you have a toaster/oven?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#13 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:40 PM

Chafing dish for cookies, preferably brass.
Elect-a-lujah

#14 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,680 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:41 PM

I was just following the instructions given me by the proprietor. They worked. rolleyes.gif

#15 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

How do the pretzels compare with those from the late lamented Tribakery? Those were my absolute favorites in the world.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table